CONLANG  March 2018, Week 5

CONLANG March 2018, Week 5

Re: Subject / Object markers

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Mar 2018 11:58:09 +0200

On 28 March 2018 at 16:41, Aidan Aannestad <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It's quite clear that they are at least *phonologically* bound markers and
> not separate words - I wouldn't ever call them 'particles'.

You're confusing things here: things can be phonologically bound yet be
separate words. That's the point of calling them "clitics". That's the
whole point here: there's no question that the Japanese particles are
phonologically bound. The question is whether they are still to be
considered separate words (clitics) or not (suffixes).

The word "particle" itself says nothing about phonological boundedness, so
it's perfectly fine to call a bound marker a particle.

> Here's the
> reasoning:
>
> - Tone can spread from nouns across these markers. In fact, the tone on a
> case marker can disambiguate the word it's attached to: hàɕí=gà
> 'bridge-SUBJ' vs. hàɕí=gá 'edge-SUBJ'.
> - Initial consonants of case markers behave as if they're word-medial. /g/
> in Kantou Japanese (including Standard Japanese) turns to [ŋ] between
> vowels and also in the subject marker /=ga/ (indicating that its /g/ is
> also between vowels, not word-initial). This is also why the topic marker
> /wa/ is spelled <ha> - original *ɸ became /h/ word-initially but /w/
> between vowels, so clearly /=wa/ is not a separate word if it's
> etymologically from *ɸa.

If it's not a separate word, then it's a suffix, not a clitic. Also, those
do not really convince me: sandhi phenomena and pitch pattern spread can
happen at phonological phrase level rather than at word level, so this
doesn't help us decide whether something is made of one word or two (it may
phonologically be a single word, but that doesn't necessarily make it
syntactically one as well).

> As for whether they're clitics or affixes, that's more of a syntactic
> question, and I'm not personally sure of the syntactic tests for clitic vs
> affix status. At the very least, I imagine the *extremely* head-final
> nature of Japanese makes it hard to tell the difference, since no material
> would ever intervene between the marker and its noun anyway; I think there
> are some syntactic scope-based tests that might work, but I don't know what
> they are.

I don't think there's any agreement in the linguistic community as to the
status of the Japanese particles, so I'd expect those tests to be
inconclusive.

> (As for the distinction between 'subject marker' and 'nominative case',
> that's a little blurry; I'm pretty sure *o* is accusative case, but *ga*
> seems to behave a bit more like a *focus* marker than a case marker. Unless
> it's in a relative clause where topic marking is disallowed, the use of
> *ga*
> requires something like a contrastive focus reading (even when a
> non-subject is marked as topic), and the more unmarked (and systemically
> 'opposite') choice would be to mark the subject as topic instead of with
> *ga*. The fact that it's mutually exclusive with topic marking in a way
> other cases aren't further suggests it's not a simple case marker (though
> oddly it can coöccur with other focus marking, and *o* has become mutually
> exclusive with topic marking as well since Old Japanese).)

Yeah, I didn't mention that part in order not to confuse the OP too much.

> If you're looking for a natlang where case marking seems really to be done
> by truly separate words, look at Maori. Its articles come between the case
> marker and its noun. This may as well be a bit of an edge case, since the
> nominative is zero-marked and the accusative is split semantically between
> two marker choices, both of which are used elsewhere in ways that could be
> analysed as prepositions, but it's closer at least than Japanese. IIRC
> Maori's focus marker coöccurs with case marking particles as well.

Interesting.

> > Yes, there are: have a look at the case-marking particles of Austronesian
> > languages like Tagalog. That interesting thing that is Austronesian
> > alignment makes things slightly more complicated to understand, but they
> > are particles for subject and object (kinda) and they come in front of
> the
> > noun they complete.
> >

> They're more like markers that show which is the 'syntactic pivot' (for
> which see the other email on alignment systems I wrote yesterday) with a
> verb marker that shows which semantic role the syntactic pivot is filled
> with. Non-pivot nouns have something like role-dependent marking.

Kinda. The devil is in the details here. In any case, all arguments are
marked by a preposed element, so this is closer to what the OP asked about
than a case where the nominative is zero-marked.

> In any case, there seems to be as much similarity between Japanese's case
> markers and 'postpositions' as there is between eg Finnish's core cases and
> oblique cases, all of which are uncontroversially case markers. The only
> reason the question has been asked of Japanese is because of the questions
> surrounding their status as separate words or not (and the fact that topic
> and focus marking are also in some ways part of this class of morphemes).

Definitely!

On 28 March 2018 at 17:27, Brian Bourque <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Korean also uses subject markers; however, there are two markers that are
> used. There is the topic marker (overall or general subject) -은/는 [ɯn/nɯn]
> and the subject marker (immediate subject of a sentence or subordinate
> clause) -이/가 [i/ga]. If there is only one subject in a sentence or
> paragraph, then -이/가 is used. Korean also has an object marker -을/를
> [ɯl/ɾɯl]. Korean is agglutinating, therefore the markers are always added
> after the noun which they represent. (Their are two variations for each
> marker. The first one follows a consonant and the second follows a vowel)

Yeah, the similarity between those and the Japanese system is one of the
reasons the idea of Japanese and Korean being related is so tantalising.

On 28 March 2018 at 19:58, Chris Peters <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I treat particles as separate clitics, as well.  Mostly for the fact that
> particles don't change pronunciation like other Japanese linguistic
> features do.
>

> Example:  "roku" (six) + "kai" (floor of a building) becomes "rokkai"
> (sixth floor).
>

> Yet, if you were to add the particle "kara" (meaning "from" -- as if
> "roku" were a place name), it becomes "Roku kara" ("from Roku"), rather
> than contracted to "rokkara".

I'm not sure that helps: classifiers are clearly a very different part of
speech from particles. That one PoS behaves in a certain way says nothing
about how another one should behave. Finally, I wouldn't necessarily expect
placename Roku to behave phonologically the same as number roku.

On 29 March 2018 at 02:34, Michael Martin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

Oh, you can have prepositions in an SOV language (Latin was like that), but
it's relatively rare, so you need to be aware of that when you develop your
language. Especially if it's meant to be naturalistic, you'll need to have
a good (historical) explanation as to why it is like that.

Have a look at Greenberg's linguistic universals (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenberg%27s_linguistic_universals) for a
quick description of the dominant trends in languages and how some kinds of
word orders happen more often together than with others. Do not, however,
treat them as absolute truth: they are statistically relevant trends, not
true universals. Every single Greenberg's universal is broken by some
natlang out there. Just be aware that they exist though.

Cheers,
--
Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)