CONLANG  March 2018, Week 5

CONLANG March 2018, Week 5

A topicality-based inverse system (a long monograph on syntax)

Aidan Aannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Mar 2018 16:20:47 -0500

Fair warning: this is a Logan Kearsley-style long writeup that is much
more to help me work this through than it is an attempt to share.
Nonetheless, comments are welcome! I'm trying something here that I've
never seen in a natlang, but still trying to do it as naturalistically
as I can. I'll try and explain all the basic ideas going into this,
though; to hopefully make it a fairly accessible read.

The short thesis is this - I'm trying to create a language where at
least some part of its 'morphosyntactic alignment' (a bit of a
heterogenous term that kind of means several things at once) is based in
the language's topic/focus structure. More specifically, I'm trying to
make it look something like an analogue of
animacy/person(/obviation)-based direct-inverse systems, where there's
an explicitly 'expected' correlation between a noun's semantics (there,
animacy, person and/or proximative/obviative status) and the noun's
semantic role (~= syntactic status). This monograph is me trying to
figure out how exactly such a system should work - and trying to make
this system in such a way that it can't be analysed as something else.

Natlang direct-inverse systems have a hierarchy typically something like
1p > 2p > animate > inanimate (in an extremely simplified form), where
nouns (and pronouns) further up the hierarchy are expected to be the
actor in a sentence before nouns lower on the hierarchy. When this
/isn't /true, the verb gets a so-called 'inverse' marker. Thus, if you
have an animate noun and an inanimate noun as the arguments for a verb,
the expectation is that the animate noun is the actor and the inanimate
noun is the undergoer. If the inanimate noun is in fact the actor, and
the animate noun the undergoer, the verb receives an inverse marker -
which basically means 'invert your expectations about the semantic roles
this verb's arguments take'.

(I'm using 'actor' and 'undergoer' in the sense used in Foley and van
Valin's /Functional Syntax and Universal Grammar/ (1984), among others
by them; all of these ideas are grounded in their theory of Role and
Reference Grammar. 'Actor' and 'undergoer' are the terms used for
somewhat-language-dependent groupings of semantic roles such as 'agent'
and 'patient'. 'Actor' means 'agent and things on its end of the
hierarchy of agenthood'; 'undergoer' means 'patient and things on its
end of the hierarchy of agenthood'. In a nominative-accusative language
like English, 'actor' is in some senses equivalent to 'subject of a
transitive sentence' and 'undergoer' is largely equivalent to 'direct
object'.)

'Topic' and 'focus' are terms not often familiar to students of
Indo-European languages, as IE languages typically do these things
through a mix of word order and definiteness in ways that have
historically gone somewhat unnoticed to linguists studying them. Other
languages (such as my L2 Japanese) mark topicality and/or focus directly
and overtly. 'Topic' and 'focus' are both /information structure/
notions, and link nouns to discourse-level statuses. A topic is a noun
that has already been mentioned and needs no special attention, and
typically 'about' which the sentence is being said. A focus is a noun
that is having attention brought specifically to it - either it hasn't
yet been mentioned and is now being introduced, or it's being explicitly
contrasted with some other noun, or something similar; there are various
kinds of focuses.

In English, pronouns tend to be topics, and definite nouns (especially
subjects) also tend to be topics. For example, in the sentence /he's not
a very nice man/, it's quite distinctly implied that whoever 'he' is,
we've been talking about him already. Compare also /the man started
yelling/ (where 'the man' is necessarily someone we've been talking
about) with /a man started yelling/ (where whichever man it is may be
entirely new to the discourse). English often does focus-like things
through constructions like /it is the X//that/ - eg /it's the man who
started yelling/ (implying a contrast - it's not the woman or the kid).

For the purposes of this conlang, then, it's necessary to set up an
expected correlation between some topic or focus status and some
semantic~syntactic status. Topic seems to be the more 'basic' of the
notions of topic and focus, and it seems to fairly often go together
with 'subject' (a term van Valin has convinced me isn't all that useful,
but we'll go with it here). The natlang evidence for this comes mostly
from Japanese, where the most unmarked way to indicate a subject is to
mark it as topic, and marking it as subject explicitly is marked enough
that it seems almost more like it's a focus rather than just
'unspecified' or 'not topic'. English, as well, seems to prefer having
the topic also be the subject, as passivisation is an available strategy
to make an undergoer the topic (by making it the subject). Thus, we'll
set this language to operate on the basic assumption that the subject
will probably also be the topic.

I'm not entirely sure what unspecification with regard to topic/focus
ends up meaning; this might come up later. I think I'm going to treat
leaving nouns unmarked in a two-argument sentence as a kind of focus; my
reasoning being the following pair of sentences in Japanese:

Sayaka=wa asoko=ni iru
Sayaka=TOP there=LOC exist
'Sayaka is there' (as opposed to somewhere else)

Asoko=wa Sayaka=ga iru
there=TOP Sayaka=SUBJ exist
'Sayaka is there' (as opposed to someone else)

There's no overt focus marking in these clauses (depending on how you
take /=ga/); but the lack of topic marking seems to be itself a kind of
focus. In a clause with three arguments, though, it's possible to have
an argument be neither topic nor focus, since those two statuses are
both are already taken:

kane=wa hon'ya=kara=koso omae=ga nusutta darou
money=TOP bookstore=ABL=FOC you=SUBJ steal-PAST probably
'You stole the money /specifically from the bookstore/, didn't you?'
(though in English there's no way to specify money as the topic as
opposed to you)

(I'm going with a fairly stock-standard nominative-style syntax for this
language - the single argument of intransitives is grouped with the
actor of a transitive sentence, and that that argument (A+S) is the one
privileged in ways like allowing cross-clause coreference with it. That
means that here 'subject' is mostly not a misleading term - though the
'subject' of a passive is still an undergoer, despite being the
privileged argument.)

Additionally, I'm interested in having various kinds of focus agreement
on the verb when focus markers are present, much like Old Japanese's
'kakari-musubi' system. This makes things additionally complex, over and
above simply having a topical inverse marker.

We then have a number of different combinations of topic/focus and
subject status.

(Language-specific preliminaries: the topic is marked by taking the last
consonant of the topic noun and making it a voiceless fricative; the
inverse marker is -gó. <h> here is used to indicate the devoiced version
of a preceding consonant, because it's still pretty clear what's meant
by that and I'm sick of typing the IPA devoicing diacritic; accents on
vowels indicate tones.)

/Intransitives/

There are six possible combinations of topic and focus with arguments in
an intransitive sentence. This includes (sort of) 'obligatory' obliques
in sentences like /I'm going to the store/,//where /to the store/ is
part of the verb's semantic structure and not just added on as an extra
description - in contrast to /I went there on Thursday/, where /on
Thursday/ is an entirely secondary description.

S=T, no oblique
S=F, no oblique
S=T, O=ø
S=T, O=F
O=T, S=ø
O=T, S=F

The first is easy - it's the most basic type: Nothing special happens.

Árhì ènàvà
Ári[TOP] sing
'Ári is singing.'

The S=F type is about the only situation in which a sentence has no
topic at all. Thus, we /might/ want to mark it as 'contrary to
expectations', but that might imply that something else is the topic
when that's not actually true. This depends on what exactly we take the
inverse marker to mean - does it mean 'the subject unexpectedly isn't
the topic', or 'the topic is unexpectedly something other than the
subject'? I'm going to arbitrarily pick the second one, simply because
that results in one less instance where marking is required (and for
other reasons, this language's verbs are going to often be quite long
enough already). Thus, in this case, the verb only takes a focus
agreement marker.

Árílèsé ènàvàsó
Ári-FOC sing-FOCAGR
'It's Ári that's singing'

S=T, O=ø is also easy, as it's the expected form of this kind of sentence.

Árhì tàmò sá
Ári[TOP] there be.at
'Ári is there' (and not somewhere else).

And S=T, O=F is simply the focus-agreement form.

Árhì tàmórèsé sàsó
Ári[TOP] there-FOC be.at-FOCAGR
'/There's /where Ári is.'

We come to the fun ones with the O=T forms. With the unmarked subject,
we get just the inverse marker; with the focus-marked subject, we get
the inverse marker /and/ the focus agreement marker.

Tàwhò Árì sàgó
there[TOP] Ári be.at-INV
'There's where//Ári is.' (but not '/There's/ where Ári is.')

Tàwhò Árìlèsé ságòsó
there[TOP] Ári-FOC be.at-INV-FOCAGR
'There's where /Ári/ is.'

/Transitives/

Transitives present us with rather more permutations.

A=T, U=ø
A=T, U=F
A=T, U=ø, O=ø
A=T, U=F, O=ø
A=T, U=ø, O=F
A=F, U=T
A=F, U=T, O=ø
A=F, U=ø, O=F
A=ø, U=T, O=F
A=ø, U=F, O=T

However, we can start to group these together based on the decisions
made about how the inverse marker works. As long as A=T and there's no
focus marker, we get a bare verb:

Háθɨ̀ Árì kárúvɨ́
Háðɨ[TOP] Ári look.at
'Háðɨ is looking at Ári.'

Háθɨ̀ Árì hátúmɨ́ èlá sóðèràvà
Háðɨ [TOP] Ári store entrance-3sg take.along
'Háðɨ is taking Ári into the store.'

If there is a focus marker, we get a focus agreement marker on the verb.

Háθɨ̀ Árílèsé kárúvɨ̀só
Háðɨ[TOP] Ári-FOC look.at-FOCAGR
'It's Ári that Háðɨ is looking at.'

Háθɨ̀ Árílèsé hátúmɨ́ èlá sóðèràvàsó
Háðɨ [TOP] Ári-FOC store entrance-3sg take.along-FOCAGR
'It's Ári that Háðɨ is taking into the store.'

Háθɨ̀ hátúmɨ́ èlárèsé Árì sóðèràvàsó
Háðɨ [TOP] store entrance-3sg-FOC Ári take.along-FOCAGR
'It's into the store that Háðɨ is taking Ári.'

If A =/= T, then we get an inverse marker on the verb - /no matter what
it is that is the topic./ This is in accordance with the meaning of the
inverse marker - it's only specifying that the expectation isn't being
met; it's not specifying exactly how. The topic isn't the subject, and
that's about all it cares about.

Árhì Háðɨ̀ kárúvɨ̀gó
Ári[TOP] Háðɨ look.at-INV
'Ári, Háðɨ's looking at her.'

Árhì Háðɨ̀ hátúmɨ́ èlá sóðèràvàgó
Ári[TOP] Háðɨ store entrance-3sg take.along-INV
'Ári, Háðɨ's taking her into the store.'

Hátúmɨ́ èlhá Háðɨ̀ Árì sóðèràvàgó
store entrance-3sg[TOP] Háðɨ Ári take.along-INV
'Into the store goes Háðɨ, taking Ári with him.' (that one's hard to
render in English!)

And so on. (I'm not writing out every single example.) Any such sentence
with a focus marker somewhere in it would end in the inverse marker and
the focus agreement marker. Interestingly, in cases like the last
example there, it's effectively ambiguous which noun phrase is the actor
and which is the undergoer; word order is pretty much the only way to tell.

/Final considerations/

None of this inverse morphology in anyway affects the syntactic
structure of the clause - all it does is reference it. /-gó/ is not here
a passive morpheme, since it doesn't change the syntactic status of any
noun - the undergoer in a transitive sentence with /-gó/ is no more
accessible to cross-clause coreference than it would be without /-gó/. I
think I've also avoided the analysis that would describe -/gó/ as a
focus agreement marker with a zero-marked focused noun, since it
cooccurs with any focus agreement marker while true focus agreement
markers (there's more than just /-só/) can't cooccur with each other.

I think this seems fairly reasonable! It's far enough outside the range
of known natlang structures that it's hard to judge for sure, but it
seems decently motivated from a structural and semantic point of view.
There's nothing in here that violates any theories I consider reasonable
- it's just a novel combination of reasonable parts.

Also oh my goodness I think I just spent two and a half hours writing
this. At least I get how it works now!

---
このメールは、AVG によってウイルス チェックされています。
http://www.avg.com