CONLANG  April 2018, Week 3

CONLANG April 2018, Week 3

Re: Pronoun systems in your conlangs

Katerina <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Apr 2018 15:01:09 +0300

I've also been playing around with the idea of an animacy hierarchy with
separate pronouns and noun/pronoun declensions for living entities with
full sapience (the T'elχ themselves), living entities with partial or
reduced sapience (humans would be likely to fall into that category as the
T'elχ assumed that a full capacity for reasoning/contemplation was
impossible to attain without a collective consciousness, and in a certain
sense, they could be right), sentient but not sapient living entities, and
non-living entities, with a possible subdivision of the latter into
"abstract concepts or ideas" and "physical objects and phenomena". the
names of the castes or substrains within the T'elχ superorganism may be in
a separate category of their own, because they serve as proper names as
much as the general names of functions or occupations. in Azila's case, her
full designation was "joiner guardian, third out of the four principal
keepers of the spawning cavern" and could be broken down into "the
joiner-guardian", "third of the four principal keepers", "third of the
four" or "the guardian" for short, each of which would have been a proper
name in its own right (this was how she ended up being called Azila - the
whole litany was shortened to a single word, and that was then translated
into her former native language).

Chukchi does something similar, in that there are three declensions for
nouns - i) for all non-human entities, objects or phenomena, ii) for human
beings and iii) for the names of close senior relatives and proper names or
nicknames. each has its corresponding referential, demonstrative and
interrogative pronouns - nikyŋut (sg.)/niket (pl.) "whats-its-name, the
same one, the one being spoken about", rjenut? (sg.)/rjenutet? (pl.) "who?
what?" for declension i, nirkyŋut (sg.)/nirkenti (pl.) "whats-his-name, the
same one, the one being spoken about", meŋin "who?" for declension ii and
none whatsoever for declension iii (Chukchi has no interrogative or
demonstrative pronouns). the case forms are different in each, as is the
number of the cases and their usage and meaning. for example, declensions i
and iii have both a comitative and a sociative case, whereas declension ii
has neither; in declension i, a number distinction is present only in the
nominative, declension ii has an obligatory number distinction for all
cases, in declension iii a number distinction is available for cases other
than the nominative, but is optional; in declension i, the instrumental
case may be used with an instrumental, agentive or patientive meaning
(instrumental only for demonstrative nouns), in declension ii it's
exclusively agentive, and in declension iii, either agentive or patientive.

peace,

cathy