CONLANG  April 2018, Week 3

CONLANG April 2018, Week 3

Re: Pronoun systems in your conlangs

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 Apr 2018 00:57:19 +0200

Haotyétpi marks person mostly on verbs, for the subject for intransitive
verbs, and for the subject and (primary) object for transitive and
ditransitive verbs. The marked persons are 1st singular and plural, 2nd
singular and plural, and indefinite. 3rd person is unmarked. The 1st person
plural always refers to the speaker's "in-group". So unless the listener
also belongs to that in-group (at least at the moment of the utterance),
it's usually a 1st person plural exclusive (in the same way, the 2nd person
plural usually refers to the listener's in-group). "Indefinite" is used in
various cases: to mark an unknown, unspecified, or irrelevant participant,
as an honorific way to refer to the listener, or as a 1st person plural
inclusive for when the listener is not part of the speaker's in-group.

This is reflected with the personal pronouns, which are used mostly for
emphasis or when there would be too much ambiguity (Haotyétpi is pro-drop),
and only truly exist for the first and second person. Interestingly, those
pronouns are quite transparently nominalisations of phrases meaning "I am,
I exist", "you are/exist" etc. "I" is _twaspí_ ("I exist" is _twás_), "you"
(singular) is _ináspi_ (_inás_ is naturally "you (sg) exist"). For the
plural pronouns, there are two alternative forms for each person: 1st
person plural is either _haenóp_ (_haenó_ is "we exist") or _matéan_
(basically "our friend(s)"), while 2nd person plural is either _inaenóp_
(_inaenó_ is "you (pl) exist") or _matéy_ ("your (pl) friend(s)"). What's
weird here is that _maté_: "friend, relative, companion" is *not* an
inalienable noun and for this reason shouldn't be able to take on the
possessive suffixes _-an_ and _-(a)y_. But there you are.

There are no personal pronouns corresponding to the third person. Instead,
demonstrative or anaphoric pronouns can be used. Demonstratives show a
two-way distinction between proximal (marked by a _ka-_ element) and distal
(marked by a _ke-_) element, while anaphoric pronouns refer to what's been
mentioned already in the discourse (and are marked by a _se-_) element.
They also have an animate/inanimate distinction, and even distinguish
singular from plural (despite this not being a usual distinction in
Haotyétpi nouns normally). I'll just give the proximal series as an
example: _kaáspi_: "this thing/matter", _kaenó(p)_: "these things/matters",
_kaam kár_: "this person" (literally!), _kaam ecík_ or _kamté_: "these
people". The distal and anaphoric pronouns are formed similarly (although
the anaphoric series doesn't have a plural animate for in _-mté_).

Interestingly, there *is* a personal pronoun corresponding to the
indefinite person: _asenóp_ (from _asenó_: "someone or something exists"),
but it's only used when the indefinite person is used as a 1st person
plural inclusive or as an honorific 2nd person. For its "true" indefinite
meaning, Haotyétpi speakers prefer to use actual indefinite pronouns like
_sepsék_: "something" or _sekósek_: "someone".

Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets
President of the Language Creation Society (http://conlang.org/)

Personal Website: http://christophoronomicon.blogspot.com/
Personal Tumblr: http://christophoronomicon.tumblr.com/