CONLANG April 2018, Week 4

Re: Syllable Structure

Melroch <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:27:44 +0000

I would say that liquids actually rank above nasals on the sonority scale,
and approximants above non-approximant liquids. You are much more likely to
find monosyllabic #NLV or VLN# than monosyllabic #LNV or VNL#. In fact NL
sequences are often the victims of plosive anaptyxis, so they are
dispreferred in general.

I would venture to say that for languages which permit complex onsets
and/or codas one might generalize a maximum syllable structure like

    #SKNLYVYLNFPS#

where

    S = sibilant
    P = plosive
    F = fricative
    K = P and F other than S
    N = nasal
    L = liquid
    Y = approximant

Usually most of the slots other than V are empty of course, and some
restrictions are almost universal, like in KN the N is usually [n] and the
K is usually not a coronal, that SP is more common than SF, that NP# is
usually homorganic, that KN and Kl are usually not homorganic, that NL is
unusual.

Note the symmetry! Note also that for some reason sibilants are different
from other fricatives, on the verge of being syllabic.

The onset of Icelandic _strjúka_ 'stroke' is both near the practical
maximum and illustrative of the pattern.