CONLANG  July 2018, Week 4

CONLANG July 2018, Week 4

Re: Lexical semantics, motion verbs, and 'modern'ness

Jaymes Lauser <[log in to unmask]>

Jaymes Lauser <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:56:10 -0400

This is a fantastic idea which really appeals to me cognitively and also on
a professional level as a programmer. Drawing from my experience dealing
with things like data and other such 'modern' things, I have some
observations.

But before I get to that, I concur with Alex and Logan that copying is a
fundamentally distinct operation from moving when dealing with information.
I actually made this observation in a legal context when contemplating
property law, and conjectured three distinct domains, which might be
applicable to your purpose.

The first is the kind of property which is non-duplicable, immovable, and
non-manufacturable. Think about land and water rights and suchlike. The
borders and interpretations of use rights might mutate, but the entity
itself from which those rights are derived does not move or be reproduced
and cannot be created (though it can, of course, be mutated, as in
landscaping and such).

The second is the kind of property which is non-duplicable, transferable,
and manufacturable. Most traditional forms of property fall into this
category, as in cars, clothes, tools, and such. The main distinctive about
this category is that only one person may properly possess it at one time.
If someone takes it, then the prior person does not possess it anymore
(conventions such as borrowing vs purchasing vs stealing are meta to the
fact that possession itself is transferred). You can also make another of
something that someone else has, but it is not the same thing and is a
distinct entity philosophically speaking (and legally speaking, but I'll
get to that in a moment).

The third is the kind of property which is duplicable, sort of
transferable, and sort of manufacturable. Intellectual property, basically.
Ideas, memories, information, etc. The key distinctive here is that it is
constantly being generated prolifically by all things (there is constantly
a near infinite amount of information being generated about the state of
the universe every moment, even if it isn't recorded or observed, aside
from the thoughts and creative impulses of the entire collection of animals
and humans whether remembered or expressed or acted upon) and when captured
and recorded it is simply generating a new copy of itself without the prior
one being affected at all. One can share copies willy-nilly (spoken
transmission being a form of copying, strictly speaking in an information
theory sense) without ever mutating or losing possession of the 'original'
copy, whatever that means. If someone 'copies' a statue or a painting, what
they are actually doing is manufacturing a new entity of the second type
based off of a copy they have made in their minds of this third type.

One interesting trait of this third kind of property being copied is that
it mutates slightly every single time. This brings me to the aspects of
this which interest me as a programmer. There are many in-place operations
which mutate information while still preserving its content or purpose.
Encryption is one example of this. You could also include re-factoring code
as another example. The function of the code doesn't change, but the way it
is expressed does. Translation into another language or porting an API to
another context, upgrading, downgrading, even repairing/debugging could all
be considered "motions" that are intrinsic to information.

If this is a lot of motions to consider, you could also look at Brown's 507
Mechanical Movements (http://507movements.com/toc.html) for an index of
motions which apply to the second category of property. I think there would
probably be yet another set of mutations that could be applied to the first
category, as well, but I'm not thinking of any examples off the top of my
head.

Not sure if any of this is helpful; I'm just sharing some of my thoughts on
how something like this could be organized. :)

Jaymes