CONLANG  November 2018, Week 3

CONLANG November 2018, Week 3

Re: Conlinguistic discovery of the day

And Rosta <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:01:08 +0000

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 at 10:07, Stewart Fraser <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Not so. He says “some linguists treat adjectives as a subclass of
> nouns/verbs”.
> I understand this as Dixon not really wanting to make a big thing of it,
> but obviously not agreeing with these linguists.

That's the crux: how to read the rhetorical force of "some linguists", with
no exposition of contrary view of any other linguists. I read it as saying
"X is a reasonable view, possibly one that is not the only possible
reasonable view, and one that I myself will not declare a definite position
on", which invites the reader to take it to be the analysis that is
probably but not definitely the best. I kind of feel that that reading is
based on long experience of being an academic reader, and that if it was
inconsistent with rhetorical practices in the field I would have noticed;
but that feeling is not backed up by any concrete evidence (in the form of
research on such rhetorical practices in the field).

> After all he says "It is likely that a class of adjective can be
> recognized for every language… “

That's not the question at issue (in the Alex--Stewart--And strand of the
thread), and there universally being a class of adjectives doesn't bear on
whether it is universally a primary category.

> He is quite clear on this. He puts adjectives on the same level as nouns
> or verbs. Probably not as important or distinct as nouns or verbs, but
> nevertheless, on the same level.

I've not read the book. Perhaps it is elsewhere in the book that he is
quite clear that he puts adjectives on the same level as N/V.

(By way of mere chat, I will idly mention that I have recently come to the
conclusion that in English, verbs and adjectives are essentially the same
primary category, 'Vadjective', differentiated by whether or not they have
objects, with the presumption that all 'verbs' are -- roughly speaking --
unaccusative; 'verbs' are transitive vadjectives and 'adjectives' are
intransitive vadjectives.)

--And.