CONLANG  April 2019, Week 5

CONLANG April 2019, Week 5

Re: Proto-Sohlob-Isturjieb coming

BPJ <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Apr 2019 16:24:51 +0200

I wrote:

> I'm indeed considering whether these stressed vowel correspondences would
be more realistic:

> *ŏ > *wa
>
> *ă, *ā > *a
>
> *ĕ > *ä
>
> *ē > *yä

I don't know what I was thinking of. Possibly

*ĕ > *ya

*ē > *ä

would be even more realistic, especially given _*ŏ > *wa_, even though I
also have _*ō > u_, since by a probably earlier change

*ī > *uy

*ĭ > *i

*ū > *ïw

*ŭ > *ï

where _*ï_ is "something which eventually merged with _*i_ but failed to
cause palatalization in Central Sohlob languages", and _*ä_ similarly is
"something which eventually merged with  _*a_, but did cause palatalization
in Central Sohlob languages", and _*ya_ is "something which eventually
merged with _*a_ but caused palatalization in both Northern and Central
Sohlob languages".

I don't think it's "needed" or reasonable to assume a difference _*ya ~
*yä_ in P.S., since they would merge everywhere anyway, so at the very
least P.S.I. _*ă_ may have merged with _*ĕ_ rather than with _*ā_.  I
haven't decided that yet but probably not.

In any case you might just as well use _*e_ and even _*ę/*yę, *o_ in
notating (early) P.S. and you might even be closer to the (intrafictional)
truth. The reason Sohlshan scholars didn't do so is that their choice of
notation was influenced by the phonology of Kijieb where the _*ï > i_ and
_*ä > a_ mergers had already happened, and by the reflexes of the P.S.
phonemes in the later Sohlob languages. Also they didn't have the benefit
of a knowledge of Proto-Isturjieb — nor in fact of the knowledge that
Sohlob and Isturjieb were related — when they first reconstructed P.S..
Rather their default assumption had been that Isturjieb was Totally Alien —
"Isturjieb culture is totally different from our culture, right?" — and it
wasn't until some young hotheads undertook to compare the Isturjieb
languages with each other and then the hottest heads among their students
discovered what looked like some regular consonant correspondences between
P.I. and P.S. that that assumption was disproven, and even after that some
would prefer a story where P.S. and P.I. would have diverged as much as
possible as early as possible, and retaining the traditional P.S. notation
did promote that image in addition to being the most convenient in terms of
keeping older work accessible.

Anyway I haven't yet decided whether these _*ya < *ĕ_ and _*wa < *ŏ_ really
contain a glide or only are _*a_ with palatalization of onset consonants
and labialization of onset velars respectively.  Things are somewhat
complicated by the fact that P.S.I. doesn't really have V onsets; P.S. V
onsets correspond to glottal stop onsets in P.S.I.. I'm not quite sure what
"palatalization/labialization of glottal stop" would mean in practice. My
biggest problem is however that I have a feeling of repeating myself. As we
all know Your Average Romlang has this kind of diphthongization and my
Rhodrese is no exception — it even has Latin (stressed unchecked) _ŏ_
ending up as /wa/, and even has Latin _ā, ă_ similarly ending up as /ja/!
I can as I see it take two approaches to that: either I conclude that if I
want to shrink a vowel system with former mid vowels leaving palatalization
and possibly labialization behind these are pretty common diphthongizations
and the most natural way to do it, so I shouldn't worry about repeating
myself with this, or I might conclude that I should make an effort to think
outside my box and at the very least follow the lead of those Scandinavian
varieties where it is the high mid long vowels which become rising
diphthongs while (low) mid short vowels remain monophthongs. It would be
slightly different in P.S. anyway since P.S.I. _*ō_ will have become P.S.
_*u_ already, leaving P.S.I. _*ŏ_ as the only mid back rounded vowel in
early P.S., which may well have become high mid and/or even lengthened
under stress (which probably all monophthongs which remained after the
diphthongization of P.S.I. _*ī, *ū_ did), or else it would be P.S.I. _*ē_
which becomes P.S. _*i_, not P.S.I. _*ĭ_ — unless of course the length
distinction in P.S.I. in fact didn't have any accompanying quality
difference, in which case it may even be P.S.I. _*ŏ_ which becomes P.S.
_*u_ while P.S.I. _*ō > *wo > *wa_.

What do you all think?

B.T.W. should I use _**x_ for P.S.I. reconstructions to better distinguish
them from P.S. and P.I., or would it make me look like a believing
Nostraticist which I'm certainly not (although I am what some have called
an Indouralophile)?  I've been thinking about using superscript numbers
like _*⁰x_ and so on, but maybe that's just idle laze, since when
"comparing" two languages at the same "level" I'll have to spell out their
names or use abbreviations like P.S. and P.I. anyway. Speaking of which I
probably should be more meticulous about dotting my abbreviations, since
using a mere "I" for I[sturjieb] may be confusing in English text. I just
used search-and-replace to rectify that in the present message, but then
come to think of it "P.S." may be confusing too, although hopefully less
so. Something like "P.-S." or even "P.-C.-S." looks a little weird, doesn't
it? Perhaps I should get used to using longer abbreviations or even
spelling out the names in full. I'm thinking along the lines of

| Shl. Sohlob
| Ist. Isturjieb
| Kij. Kijieb
| Lnj. Linjieb
| P.   Proto
| P.Shl.Ijb.
| P.Shl.
| P.Ist.

In the past I've tended to use the abbreviations which Sohlshan scholars
would have used, viz. "Sb./Slb., Kjb. Ljb." but they actually go against
the tradition in Latin alphabet abbreviations, excepting the inclusion of
_-s, -m, -i, -o, -b_ to show case and number in abbreviations in texts *in*
Latin in the middle ages.

I should probably decide which abbreviations to use and map those I use
spontaneously to the "official" ones, inserting dots and all, in my
spelling correction devices.

Just to be clear I am aware that the convention on the Conlang list is —
probably with good reason — to spell out the names of our conlangs in full,
and probably I should do so when *mentioning* my languages by name, but
spelling out "Proto-Sohlob-Isturjieb" every time I need to tag a cited
phoneme feels a bit much!