CONLANG  April 2019, Week 5

CONLANG April 2019, Week 5

Re: Form/function paradigm mismatches

BPJ <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Apr 2019 12:06:29 +0200

Mike wrote:

> > One thing which nobody has mentioned yet in this thread is that while in
> > all Germanic languages which I know the past tense is obligatory — you
> > *have* to use it where appropriate — the expression of the future
through
> > various auxiliaries is still optional.
>

> I did mention that in my "going to London" examples.  I was surprised no
> one had mentioned it earlier.  It was one of the reasons I chimed in.

Sorry! Perhaps you hadn't yet done so when I started writing my mail, which
I did in three sessions more or less corresponding to the paragraphs,
interrupted by sleep and looking after my grandson. I very much look
forward to learning how he and his cousins will speak when they are around
twenty!

Ray wrote:

> But then I've seen a good deal of change over the past 50+ years.
> Language changes; that's the nature of it.  I suspect if an objective
> diachronic study of all modal verbs were done (maybe it has been done),
> we should see many changes of usage.

Taken into account my observations of my grandmother's speech when I
started to notice such things I have in a sense tracked the evolution of my
family's Swedish over twelve decades, and there has been a great deal of
change.  Of course I don't know how much my grandmother, who just barely
was born in the nineteenth century, had changed her vocabulary and grammar
during the eightynine years between her birth and when I consciously
started observing the (to me) peculiarities of her grammar. It may well
have been quite a bit. I actually can remember some things about my Swedish
forty years ago which have changed since — apart from lexis that is. While
this is phonetics rather than grammar I know for a fact that I rolled my
R's in some contexts when I was about four years old from recordings my
father did then. I don't know when I switched to a retroflex approximant
(still alternating with an alveolar tap in some contexts), but it must have
been before I started taking an interest in phonetics in my late teens. Yet
I believe I still have muscle memory of what it was like to roll my R's,
since I can feel it in my tongue as I write this!