CONLANG  July 2019, Week 5

CONLANG July 2019, Week 5

Re: Languages without recursion (was: Macrofamilies)

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Jul 2019 11:20:40 -0600

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 09:34, Daniel Bensen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Didn't it turn out that Everett had confused a conjunction for a coupla?

And....

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 10:47, Mike S. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 9:02 AM BPJ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > Dan Everett points out, describes and exemplifies that Pirahã has
> > discourse-level recursion, so there is no doubt or fear that Pirahã
> > speakers can handle recursion conceptually. It's just that according to DE
> > the language forbids, or rather has no mechanism for, recursion at
> sentence
> > and lower levels.
>
> No recursion at sentence and lower levels is a radical claim.  It would
> mean, for instance, either there is nothing adjective-like in the language,
> or there is a hard limit of one adjective-like thing per noun phrase;
> anything like (adj1 (adj2 noun)) would be out because it could be analyzed
> as a NP nested in a NP.  I am skeptical.

Lack of conjunctions seems like the biggest apparent obstacle to an
ergonomic recursionless language (though not to a recursionless
language of some sort), and lack of chained adjectives falls into a
similar boat. However, I think these are both cases where mistaking a
particular *model* for psychological *reality* muddies the issue.
*Can* be analyzed a certain way, and *must* be analyzed a certain way,
are rather different things.

Many of us I expect are predisposed from our formal education to think
that syntax trees must necessarily be *binary* trees, but this is not
necessarily the case. Yes, in fully binarized, e.g., X-bar theory,
there must be formal syntactic recursion in order to model conjunction
chains and modified chains--but that does not mean that such recursion
actually exists in the language as it is found in the minds of the
speakers. And a different syntactic analysis makes the problem go
away.

I.e., although I can't really comment on Pirahã in particular, not
having studied in depth myself, there is no real reason why an
arbitrary number of adjectives cannot be conceived of as direct
children of a single noun phrase node, with no recursive syntactic
relations between themselves; and similarly, there is no reason why a
chain of conjoined elements cannot all be modelled as existing on the
same syntactic level, with no formal dependencies between sequential
conjunctions, either.

The analytical fiction of purely binary trees is a useful one because
any language generated by a non-binary grammar can *also* be
recognized by a binary grammar (so it is *possible* to always use
binary grammars) and binary grammars are simpler to work with than
grammars with arbitrary branching. But it is nevertheless an
analytical fiction, not (usually) a claim about reality; the fact that
pure binary grammars are convenient for use by computational linguists
and syntacticians does not constitute an argument that they are
psychologically real.

> > FWIW he also points out that the Pirahã have a concept of
> > full siblings although the language has no word for 'full sibling'. It's
> > not that their brains are deficient in any way. They can't really do
> > arithmetics, but that shows either that arithmetics is an acquired
> cultural
> > artefact which requires work and motivation, or that at least many of them
> > have congenital dyscalculia. So do I. I'm as intelligent as anybody with
> > anything except that I suck at arithmetics and at judging duration,
> > distance and quantity, swap digits around when reading, writing and
> > memorizing numbers, and can't remember math formulas however much I try.
> > This is hereditary in my father's family, affecting at least one person in
> > every second generation with varying severity. I can cope but have to
> > repeat all calculations at least thrice even with a calculator. Thus I
> > suspect that the oddity of Pirahã language and culture which Everett
> > describes is due to endemic dyscalculia. (In case you wonder I am as good
> > at recursion as anybody. I do forget to use `timeout` when testing
> > potentially recursing programs from time to time but who doesn't? :-)
>
> According to what I read, the dyscalculia is more severe than what you have
> described.  They cannot count past two, which I am guessing you can do.
> They are able to understand that if you take an item away from a group of
> items, you have a smaller group of items remaining.  But they (apparently)
> don't get the idea that the group of items started as "six in number" and
> after taking one it's now "five in number".  Apparently, for the adult men
> who were tested, there is no concept of an exact number, of a cardinality
> that can be named.  Perhaps for them (I am speculating), the idea of
> individuality simply loses its coherence in groups above two;  groups of
> threes and more are always conceived as masses (i.e. having an "undefined
> cardinality" in my way of thinking -- to put it another way, the
> interlocked ideas of individuality and countability simply don't apply to,
> or  fail to make sense with, the referent entity).  To put it yet another
> way, they can't count because from their point of view there is nothing
> there to count.
>
> It's really hard to believe this, but this is what has been claimed,
> assuming I understood what I read.

I dunno. That doesn't seem all *that* far out to me. Counting and
arithmetic are culturally-taught "cognitive technologies", and even in
the absence of genetic discalculia is seems reasonable to me that
there may be a critical period for learning them, after which
acquisition of the cognitive mechanism as an adult is practically
impossible. Thus, if their culture does not find use for counting
larger quantities, they simply won't learn to do it.

Of course, doing controlled experiments to confirm the cultural basis
of counting-above-two would be incredibly unethical, so I guess we'll
just be stuck with speculation on this.

-l.