CONLANG  July 2019, Week 5

CONLANG July 2019, Week 5

Re: Macrofamilies (was: Etruscans from Troy?)

Jim Thain <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Jul 2019 02:31:36 -0700

My thought on the complexity of trying to trace ancient language families,
is summed up by this little thought experiment.

You have two ancient hunter gather groups
One speaking language A live "here".

The other speaking language B lives "there"
which happens to be several hundreds of miles away from language A.

Something forces group B to move from "there" to "here".

There is a clash for superiority.
Let's say the clash is a draw.

This leaves group A with a smaller territory and harder time surviving.
The same applies to group B.

The groups have come to respect each other, they wish to ally and become
one tribe.

The problem is their languages are very different.

To over come this they develop a pidgin, which in due course, becomes a
creole.
Eventually the new language becomes wide spread as the new tribe prospers.

How would one classify the descendant of the creole against the language
families it was formed from?

Now do this over and over again over the thousands of years since language
first arose.

To call this a huge challenge is in my opinion a serious understatement.