CONLANG  December 2019, Week 5

CONLANG December 2019, Week 5

Re: Lexember

Tue, 31 Dec 2019 17:39:06 +0000

31st Khangaþyagon word
sukoss: finish, complete, conclude
sukossont: completion, conclusion

31st iljena word
a1i2e3: explore

------ Original Message ------
From: "Enrique Gamez" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 31 Dec, 2019 At 16:58
Subject: Re: Lexember
Happy end of Lexember!
Tallfellow word #30: ámbengo (n.) "salmon". The word comes from
Hobbitzin
abe "white, transparent, invisible" + gu "classifier for things found in
the water", because since salmon are only seen in the rivers of the
landlocked Patchwork at specific times of the year, hobind legends claim
they have the ability to become invisible most of the time, and are only
visible when they need to find each other in order to mate. Though
educated
hobind scholars are aware that this is false, the legend and name
persist.
Er-ambengo rum wiri blun-umb lang gum!
PL-salmon PST turn_up river-LOC our.LOC now
"Salmon have appeared in our river!"
Tallfelllow word #31: wéri (n.) "trout". One of the most commonly seen
species of fish in rivers all across the Patchwork, and a staple of
hobind
cooking.
Pin de borbon im brongo e-weri imo bendwim-er.
1SG PROG bake INF gather PL-trout in_order_to supper-PROX
"I'm planning to catch some trout for supper tonight."
Ghudaz word #30: ndãby, ndãby, ndembe, ndemby (n., masc) "bear, polar
bear"
Initial nd- is usually restricted to loanwords in Ghudaz, typically from
Overhill which has prenasalized consonants (as in this case). For this
reason I suspect some dialects don't bother to pronounce the initial N,
similar to what English has done with pt-, ps-, etc.
Arof ndãby lun-yjek!
DISTPST.F bear.ACC fight-1EXC>3M
"I fought a polar bear once!"
Ghudaz word #31: enguv, engõ, kenge, kengy (n., masc) "whale"
Sjo-k enguv khekh-ot akh ke-m.
possessing-M whale song-ERG 1EXC happy-F
"The whale's song makes me happy."
Ho mawu sumbla browi rondle, etaro! (Eat a delicious new year,
everyone!)
On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 8:35 AM Jörg Rhiemeier <[log in to unmask]>