The errors you describe in compiling the TEI Lite DTD for WordPerfect
are due to WordPerfect's SGML declaration, which has to be modified to
support the TEI DTDs.
You can find help on "Configuring WordPerfect (SGML Edition) for the
TEI" among some web pages I put together at CETH: see
This short guide was done in connection with some small SGML pilot
projects we did (at
Files are also available to download which should help you out,
including two .lgc files, and that pesky declaration.
Hope this is useful to you -- please let me know if you have no web
access (though these pages are designed to be useful even in lynx).
Center for Electronic Texts in the Humanities
Rutgers and Princeton Universities
[log in to unmask]