AUXLANG April 1997, Week 3

LsF summary

Ken Caviness <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Apr 1997 17:47:19 -0400

Jim Seger <[log in to unmask]> has asked me to pass this LsF information
to the auxlang list:

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:07:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LsF Summary

Ken:

   Here is the summary of LsF I posted a year ago.  Currently I don't have
the time to pursue auxlang subjects but hope to get back into it before too
much longer.  I would be most pleased, Ken, if you would be kind enough to
repost this summary.

   Regarding James Chandler's questions, I am not aware of any active
movements for naturalistic IALs other than Interlingua.  That does not mean,
however, that "this language now has invested in it all the hopes of the
naturalist movement." Regardless of how many people are using Peano's LsF, I
am convinced it is by far the most superior of the naturalistic IALs.

      Jim Seger

   (An aside to Latin teachers: I suggest that teaching LsF, besides
providing learners with an outstanding international language, will also
serve to attract many of them to explore Latin itself.  Having a good grasp
of Latin's vocabulary, they can devote themselves exclusively to learning its
reputedly "formidable" grammar and syntax).

   Here is a brief introduction to Latino sine Flexione.  Primary sources
are:
1.  G. Peano, "Key to and Primer of Interlingua," E. P. Dutton & Co., 1931
2.  any good Latin dictionary, e.g., Cassell's.
3.  A. Gode, "Interlingua-English Dictionary," IALA, Frederick Ungar Publ.
Co., 1951

   (The original name of Peano's language was Latino sine Flexione; I use it
here
    instead of Interlingua to avoid confusion with IALA's language of the
same name).

   For communication among most educated peoples of the world today, Latin
has
the best possible vocabulary.  Such people already know or can make
reasonable guesses from general knowledge as to the meaning of many Latin
words.  So says Giuseppe Peano, the famous Italian mathematician.  However,
Latin's inflexions and syntax are overly complex and a stumbling block to
speakers of modern analytic languages.  Thus, he says, let us strip Latin of
its "ponderous burden of inflexions" to obtain the ideal constructed
language.

   Vocabulary:  Latino Sine Flexione (LSF) adopts all Latin words, Greek
words
naturalized through Latin, and all commonly used international words, e.g.,
hotel, hospital, communismo, radar, telephono, microscopio, etc.  New words
are formed from LsF in the same way they are formed from Latin and Greek
roots.  Also, words may be adopted from any language if they are in
international use, e.g., safari, tequila, kaput, fakir, hors d'oeuvres, etc.

   Pronunciation: LsF is like Italian except that: C is the K in English
skill;
CH is the k in English kill; G is as in English gill; H is as in English
hill; J is as in German jung; V is like the W in English wine (or alternately
in German Wein); Y is like the U as in French tu; AE is like the AI in
English aisle; OE is like the OI in English boil.

   Word order is typically SVO and is similar to English and the modern
romance
languages.  Adjectives may immediately precede or follow the noun modified.
Adverbs similarly stand next to the verb modified.  Definite and indefinite
articles (the, a, an) are not used.

   Cases: There are no case inflections.  The genitive of possession is noted
using "de".  Thus, "manu de puella" means "the girl's hand".  The dative is
indicated by "ad" when necessary for clarity.  We express "give our book to
her" as "da nostro libro ad illa" or "da (ad) illa nostro libro".  The
accusative is noted by word order, placing the direct object after the verb.
Thus, we say "The woman sees the girl" as "femina vide puella".  However, for
emphasis or contrast, the direct object may come first if the meaning is
clear.  Thus, we may say "it is the girl, not the boy, whom the mother sees"
as "es puella, non puero, qui matre vide".

   Nouns:  Singular nouns are formed from the Latin ablative singular.  The
singular may be used in place of the plural, e.g., tres puella.  Use of a
plural form is optional and is formed from the Latin accusative plural.
                            Singular:                                   Plural:
          Latin                 LsF                Latin                   LsF
          puella               puella              puellae                puellas
          populus            populo              populi                 populos
          liber                 libro                 libri
libros
          donum             dono                dona                    dona
          rex                   rege                reges                   reges
          manus              manu               manus                  manus
          dies                  die                  dies                      dies

   Adjectives & Adverbs: Adjectives are formed from the Latin neuter ablative
singular, and adverbs are formed from these adjectives by changing the final
vowel to e.  Thus:
        LATIN                       LsF Adj.             LsF Adv.
        magnus, a, um              magno                 magne
        liber, a, um                   libero                   libere
        pulcher, ra, rum            pulchro                pulchre
        fortis, is, e                    forti                     forte
        acer, ris, re                   acri                     acre
        potens                          potenti                 potente

   Optionally, adverbs may keep the same form as adjectives or may be
expressed by a periphrase, e.g., "in modo diligente", "cum mente diligente",
etc.
   The comparative is formed by placing "plus" before the adjective or
adverb.  Thus, "plus pulchro" means "more beautiful".  "Plus pulchre" means
"more beautifully".
   The superlative is formed similarly by the word "maximo".  Thus, "maximo
forti"  means "strongest".  "Maximo forte" means "most strongly".
   An alternate superlative is formed by inserting "issim" before the final
vowel of the adjective or adverb.  Thus, "fortissime" means "most strongly"
but has the connotation of merely being very strong but not necessarily the
strongest of all.

   Verbs:  Dropping the "re" ending from the Latin infinitive forms the LsF
imperative, prohibitive and present tense.
   Imperative:  labora!
   Prohibitive:  non labora!
The present tense is identical to the imperative and makes use of personal
pronouns to replace Latin's verbal endings for indicating person and number.

   Present Tense:
      me labora               nos labora
      te labora                 vos labora
      illo, illa labora          illos, illas labora
The present tense is to be used whenever possible to express other verbal
tenses. For example, "I will work tomorrow" becomes simply "Cras me labora."
"I worked yesterday" becomes "Heri me labora."
Whenever use of the present tense is inadequate, LsF provides periphrastic
verbal constructions that are similar in form to English.  The periphrastic
past tense uses the auxiliary verb habere and the verbal past participle:
   Past Tense:
      me habe laborato             nos habe laborato
      te habe laborato               vos habe laborato
      illo, illa habe laborato        illos, illas habe laborato
A future tense may be formed using the auxiliary "i" or "va" or "vol".  For
example,
    "me vol labora" means "I will work".
Present active participle: formed from the Latin in the ablative case.  For
example,
    "laborante" means "working".
Progressive verbal aspect: formed using the verb "es" and the present active
participle.
    Present: "illa es scribente" means "she is writing"
    Past:      "illa era scribente" means "she was writing"
    Future:   "illa vol es scribente" means "she will be writing"
Passive Voice: formed using the verb "es" and the past participle.  For
example,
    "vos es servato" means "you are served"; "vos era servato" means "you
were served", etc.
Other verbal aspects such as the imperfect and continuative require
circumlocutions, e.g.:
    "illo soleba dicere" means "he used to say"
    "illos persiste id agere" means "they keep on doing it"
The conditional and subjunctive follow the indicative forms, e.g.:
    "si hoc pulvere es strychnino, canes jam es mortuo" means
    "if this powder were strichnine, the dogs would already be dead".
Finally, Peano accepts these irregular verb forms: dic, duc, es, fac, fer,
ir, vol.

   Sample LsF Paragraph:   LSF es lingua artificiale que omne persona pote
scribe et dice facilemente.  Suo vocabulario non es formato ad arbitrio, sed
contine vocabulos hodie in usu in vario linguas.  Pro iste ratione illo habe
maximo praecisione de expressione et es vivente organismo.  Illo es analytico
et libero ab mortuo pondere de grammatica.  Illo es facto pro facilitate de
communicatione internationale in scientia, technologia, commercio et
administratione.

              Jim Seger