AUXLANG April 1997, Week 3

Re: Enemies of Esperanto ?

Jay Bowks <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Apr 1997 23:25:47 -0400

http://www.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/members.html
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3377  AUXILINGUA
http://www.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/home.html
         VINIMUS VIDIMUS DOLAVIMUS
I'll try to reply to the following posting without Volapuking my guts out,
ok?
Please be patient, folks...
----------
From: [log in to unmask]
To: Multiple recipients of list AUXLANG <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Enemies of Esperanto  ?
Date: Monday, April 14, 1997 10:00 PM

The following is from the web.

>> 17. Who are the enemies of Esperanto?

>>In the first place, the English-speaking countries, more exactly, their
governments.

If it
failed a century ago..., why is it insisted upon nowadays? Failures were
Novial,
Volapuk, Interlingua, Basic English and many more, so nobody speaks
about

{
I find it very difficult to understand who is saying what in this posting,
I take it that Sam is here
forwarding a message he received from the Web. /*??? is this right???*/

First, Novial is not a failure, as the latest attempt to modernize it
shows, it is still on life support,
I think someone better let the poster of the message, this Eo poster child,
know about the demise
of Eo, that someone pulled the plug out of the wall on Eo when they wrote
up the Manifesto
prohibiting the "thought" of ruining the "perfect" IAL...

Who is this guy, anyway???
}

them any longer. Why are people still worried about Esperanto? Why do
they
still speak about it? Could it be because it is false that it failed?
No, Sir:
Esperanto hasn't failed so far. And it will never fail as long as there
are people
who want to understand their neighbour.
>>Esperanto Spain
----------

It figures this would be from Spain, por que no?  Ya se puede imaginar uno
lo bien opinado que esta'
esto...  Si una cosa se puede decir con certeza sobre los espan~oles es que
los hay de extremos y
nadie se pone a lo medio de la cosa, verdad?

Please don't think of me as an opponent of Eo.  I believe there is no fight
unless you want to fight.
and I have given up fighting on this issue, but I do reserve the first
amendment right to make a sly
remark once in a while even if it burns me on return postings... So would
you, whoever wrote this, of
course.

I don't believe Eo has failed in anything but its main goal.  To serve as a
world auxiliary a language has
to be widely used and recognized and accepted.  One hundred years have
passed and still millions
haven't got a clue as to what Eo is...  Interlingua never set out to solve
the World's problem of
Intercommunication, yet on INTERLNG list there's a community of
non-linguists and language-professionals using it actively...   What would
Gode say about that?  Bunch of Esperantists he'd say!

Well buddy, if you really want to understand your neighbo(u)r, here I am,
please don't answer me
back in Eo, because (I'm very rusty on it) I gave it up decades ago and
went on to better things...
Yours truly,
Jay B.

*Sam, who is this guy???