AUXLANG April 1997, Week 3

Re: Interlingua vs. Eo

Jay Bowks <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:22:28 -0400

http://www.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/members.html
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3377  AUXILINGUA
http://www.cheshire.net/~jjbowks/home.html
         VINIMUS VIDIMUS DOLAVIMUS
OHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh KKKkkkkkkkkkaaaayyyy!

I just have to respond, it goes against my better judgment. but
here it goes, Cap.
----------
> de: Kapitano Eglefino <[log in to unmask]>
> a: Multiple recipients of list AUXLANG <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Interlingua
> Date: Thursday, April 17, 1997 8:17 AM
>
> Jay Bowks wrote:
> >When
> >the final draft of Interlingua was sealed and delivered the
> >objective was to provide Euro-Occidental culture a common
> >tongue derived from already existing international terms and
> >forms.
>
>    In fact, Dr Gode and his sucessor Dr Gopsill have stated that
> the world outside Europe is:
> a) not in need of an interlanguage.
> b) unsuited to using a euro-style interlanguage.
>    Apparantly this is because non-europeans are 'not civilised'.
> Indeed, Esperanto is apparantly not a worthy language because
> it was designed by a 'non-aryan'.

That is a filthy racist statement trying to impute wrong motives on
two men that have shown devotion to their work and who always
spoke with respect of all races. Shame on you and on your passing
on the lie.  If you read Rik's book, God forgive you, you'll find
a lot of this anti-Interlingua propaganda.  But Rik maintains he
is friendly with Gopsill as a person, and you can go ask him if
he knows Gopsill to ever have divulged any such anti-semitic feelings.  Who
really gives a flying circumflex accent about
whether Lazar Samenhoff / Ludvic Zamenhoff was a Jew or not?  Not,
I, I much admire the man. And I know many Interlinguanos share
my views.  Where are you getting your facts from Capt.?

> > Gode termed people who hoped to have a world auxiliary
> >made out of Interlingua by the name "Esperantists", and this
> <I believe with a little of disrespect.
>
>    Not quite accurate. Gode used the term 'Esperantist'
> derogatarily(sp?) to apply to anyone who believed that
> any constructed language could be a world language.
>    He believed that:
> a) a world general-purpose interlanguage is simply impossible,
> and apparantly underirable.
> b) a european general-purpose interlanguage is similarly
> impossible, and similarly undesirable.

Are we talking in English here, did I not make myself clear or what? If I
didn't, please understand that I am stating that I have
read from sources that knew Alexander Gode personally, that he
more than once called Esperantists all those who had hoped that
Interlingua become a World Auxiliary Lang., and this was expressed
with a feeling of disapproval on his part.  To A. Gode the search
for an IAL that would please everybody was futile.  It certainly
seems that way from being on Auxlang list don't it, Capt.?
If people can't even agree when they are saying almost identical
things... what "hope" is there?  Whats the "hope"?

> >Gode's dream was to
> >extract the Standard Average European out of the Western tongues. This
> >he accomplished with the IED (Interlingua English Dictionary) and the
> >Grammar (Interlingua: a grammar of the International language).
>
>    The purpose of Interlingua was that it be used as an international
> SCIENTIFIC, WRITTEN language, that is, that it be used only
> for scientific articles.
>    Interlingua was designed as a primarily READ language, with only a
> small team of highly skilled, highly paid, romance polyglot
> scientists actually producing the texts.

The Department of Interlingua for Science Service helped give
Interlingua a shot of advertising.  It was a great idea and it
certainly gets quoted and remembered a lot doesn't it?  Do you
think that fluent speakers of Ebonics have an easier time than
polyglot Podiatrists in understanding Interlingua at sight?

Now "Rap" Interlingua, there's a notion, I hate the idea of it
though, only because the lyrics turn my stomach.  But if you want
to reach a specific sector of society no matter what the level,
you better have something of interest to say.  When trying to
win over Doctors, Professors, and other Professionals, one wouldn't
try to sell them with "love poems" and "romance novels", a good
paper on a current scientific question just might make them take
notice and look into Interlingua, no?

> >A lot of Interlinguists and men
> >of renoun of earlier decades put a lot of effort into IALA's
> >project.  Its simplicity and naturalness is quite exemplary...
> >
> >Io crede que isto es un grande parte de su successo, nonne?
>
>    Hmmm. And probably many more people regard it as full of
> 'naturalistic' irregularities, complexities, and ambiguities.

And they are fully entitled to their opinion!

> >Interlingua is able to serve as a world auxiliary, I feel,
>    There seems to be a movement away from Gode and Gopsill's
> original beliefs about the impossibility of a general purpose
> interlanguage.

There seems to be a movement to bring back bell bottoms.  If you've
got a few pairs left in the closet from the sixties, hey cool!

If I like Interlingua it is because I find it useful and rewarding.
Have you ever tried to wear motorcycle boots with "skrunge look"
jeans?  Does wearing a plaid shirt mean you are a "gangsta" or a
lumber jack?  I feel there have always been Interlinguanos that
have been using Interlingua as a sort of IAL world round.  But the
emphasis is on Europe because the need is there for a language to
unify the linguistic chaos.  A Standard Average European would be
of great help.  Interlingua is quite pliable and is growing all the
time.  Brazilian Interlinguists find it useful in talking with
Swedish Interlinguists.  Does that make them deviates from the
protagonists objective simply because Brazil is not part of Europe?

>    My native language is English, I am learning Esperanto, and I
> have smatterings of Romance and Germanic vocabulary. I find
> Interlingua texts easier to 'guess at' than Esperanto texts (and
> Eurolang easier than both). However, I can write a little in
> Esperanto, and not at all in Interlingua.
>    [Tamen, mi povas skribi ete en Esperanto, sed neniome en
> Interlingua.}

Good for you, keep up the work on Eo.

>    There is an excellent little book:
>           Dalton, Ric
>           The anatomy of a failure : Interlingua analysed
>           Leeds: Publishers Betaland House, 1992 (81 p.)
>    The entire text is somewhere on the Net, probably under the
> FLEFO forum of COMPUSERVE. Perhaps someone here
> knows exactly where?

Good God! I spent several hours downloading what I thought were
Interlingua learning materials to find out they were parts of
Rik's book.  He and I had emails ad nauseam about the book.  I
very much respect Rik's right to believe what he feels is right
for him.  I do not agree with putting someones work down, and
I feel he puts down the efforts of great linguists when speaking
against Interlingua in such a way as he does in his book.

Have you ever read Gopsill's _International_languages: _A_matter_
for_Interlingua_   ?   Rik's book is an answer to Gopsills book, or
so he states, and if you wish instructions as to how to get a copy
I can email you privately...

> Kapitano Eglefino

kaj salutojn!

Jay B.