AUXLANG December 1997, Week 4

Re: The Final Count

Paul O Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 27 Dec 1997 21:42:00 -0500

    Responding to a small excerpt in Stan Mulaik's long message quoting
from an IALA general report.  In it there is a subquotation from Otto
Jespersen.  I am certainly not a professional linguist, as Prof.
Jespersen was, but it is rather notorious that even professionals can
be biased by their own specialties.  There can be such a thing as
"orthodoxy" in science as well as other orthodoxies, and sometimes it
takes non-professional "heretics" to get the "professionals" to take
off their self-imposed blinders.

    Churchmen would not even look through Galileo's telescope simply
because, in their minds, one did not arrive at truths by the
experimental method, but rather by reasoning from "first principles"
established on the basis of "authority."  So I am not always impressed
by somebody's "professional credentials."  I do not call myself an
Esperantist, and Zamenhof was not a "professional" linguist -- albeit
that he was a polyglot -- but on the whole I think he came up with a
pretty good product working outside a professional clique.

> Notably among them was Professor Jespersen, who, after IALA's Meeting of
> Linguistic Research, wrote:
>
> 'It would be vain to aim at the real 'world-language' in the sense of one that
> should be perfectly impartial to human beings of whatever nationality and
> language, for that could be done only... by making the contemplated artificial
> language as difficult as possible for everybody.

    I will concur with Jespersen here that probably the only
constructed auxiliary language which could be equally "fair" to
everybody would have to be roughly equally difficult for everybody.

>                                                  The task of constructing
> and even of learning such a languge would be beyond human power.

    From someone of Jespersen's supposedly professional standing, I
find this statement rather amazing.  People (such as religious
missionaries) have in fact learned -- as adults -- languages about as
far removed from their native linguistic habits as can be imagined.

    Yes, there does seem to be some vaguely quantifiable measure of
"difficulty" in learning a language in the sense of at what age on
average do children in a native-speaker environment finally more or
less master all of their mother tongue except for extended vocabulary
and usages.  This does seem to vary somewhat among languages.
Nevertheless, children do master their native languages by puberty.

    Jespersen's assertion goes right down the toilet with Mario Pei's
proposal to teach the same auxiliary language -- no matter how
allegedly difficult -- to young children.  With proper instruction,
they could all learn it by puberty.  The task is not "beyond human
power," but rather is a matter of largely non-linguistic factors.  I
find Jespersen's assertion to be little less than mindboggling.

>                                                                   But the
> matter assumes a different aspect as soon as it is recognized that we should
> utilize as much as possible any community in linguistic form already existing,

    Why, pray tell, should we utilize such a community?  Why not be
"fairer" and create an a priori language and teach it to all young
children?  That way the difficulty would be spread around more.  I
think even the Lojbanists utilized material from non-west-European
languages and still were able to retain some modicum of mnemonicity.
(I have never read whether Jespersen himself was fluent in any
non-Indo-European languages.  Wasn't his specialty English?)  The only
merit I see that Jespersen's position has is the relatively better
availability of paedegogical material and paedegogues at present, but
again, these are non-linguistic matters.

> for it turns out that there is nowhere in the world anything that can be
> compared with the community existing among West-European nations and their
> offshoots in the other parts of the world'

    At present, perhaps.  It was not always so.  English was once a
minor language of a small island nation.  Spanish was little more.  Why
should relatively recent political history be a justification for
imposing European linguistic colonialism on the rest of the world in
the matter of an IAL?  Stan Mulaik and Bruce Gilson have said that they
are targeting themselves, so to speak, to an IAL for west-European
speakers.  Fair enough as far as it goes, if that is all your aim is.

    Some have claimed that a truly global IAL is a more or less an
impossibility.  I doubt that.  English and French have done pretty well
in the past and present, more or less.  And reading Stan's excerpt's
from the IALA report, I did not get the idea that at that time, at
least, they were targeting themselves to a restricted audience.
Again, it is not linguistic factors which will determine the success
or failure of any IAL, natural or constructed.

>                                            (International Communication,
> Herbert N. Shenton, Edward Sapir, Otto Jespersen; Kegan Paul, London, 1931,
> p. 114).

Paul                             <[log in to unmask]>
Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart