AUXLANG December 1997, Week 4

Re: Stacking of the deck

Umberto <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Dec 1997 07:28:32 -0700

=A0=A0 Thanks,=0D
=A0=A0 Umberto.=0D
=0D
---=0D
=0D
>It seems that Jay has invited a lot of people from the Interlingua list =
to=0D
>join Auxlang. And as Bob Petry said, this really seems like stacking of =
the=0D
>deck. Many of these people don't know much about other IALs than their=0D
>favorite; perhaps their votes might be different if they'd had a chance =
to=0D
>look at alternatives. We will never know.=0D
>=0D
=0D
It seems to me you don't know much about anything before you start talkin=
g. My previous
post should show that I am acquainted with other IALs and I have studied =
the matter.
Judging from your Web pages, which I did visit myself, I'd say you are a =
very opinionated
person who likes to impose his leanings and cries when others voice their=
s, but then
again I don't know beans about you. If you missed my previous message to =
auxlang
please take note, I include it here for your benefit.=0D
------------begin----------------=0D
Make mine also:=0D
1-Interlingua de IALA=0D
and:=0D
2-Interlingua de Peano=0D
3-Latino Moderne of Stark=0D
4-Lingua Franca Nova of Boeree=0D
5-Occidental de Wahl=0D
6-Mundolingue of Lott=0D
7-Reform Neutral of Rossenberger/de Wahl=0D
8-Idiom Neutral of Rossenberger=0D
9-Panroman of Molenaar=0D
---------end quote----------------=0D
=0D
>Don Harlow threatened to do a bigger stacking of the deck by inviting do=
zens=0D
>of Esperantists onto the list. While this might counter Jay's action, al=
l it=0D
>does is further swamp those of us who have looked at other IALs than our=
=0D
>favorites and seen some merit in more than one.=0D
>=0D
=0D
Don Harlow is famous or infamous depends on how you look at it for backin=
g Esperanto,
and all I have to say is I wish I had the stamina he shows in backing my =
favorite
IAL.=0D
=0D
>A few days ago I was in the #conlang channel on IRC; rarely does anyone =
come=0D
>into it, but one person did, strongly convinced of the value of E-o. Aft=
er=0D
>some discussion (in the beginning it looked as if we had absolutely no c=
ommon=0D
>ground!) he looked at my Novial pages and at the N97 material on the web=
, and=0D
>was quite impressed by N97 (about to become N98, I'm afraid).=0D
>=0D
=0D
Yes, I looked at the Novial pages and to me it seems this is a good idea =
to increase
awareness of other IALs. However, I'm sure you were just as opinionated a=
s that Esperanto
fellow was, and I'm sure you did not budge one bit, am I right?=0D
=0D
>It is a shame that people are coming here with no knowledge of the alter=
natives

>available to them, and bullet-voting for the only IAL they really know.=0D
>=0D
=0D
Exactly who are you calling ignorant on this matter? As you mention below=
 perhaps
it is a good time to look in the mirror and sigh! I defend what I believe=
 in but
I'm getting the idea that I'm not half as close minded as you seem to be.=
 And paranoid
to boot!=0D
=0D
>IALA-Interlingua has much merit to it. It was the first IAL I ever saw a=
nything

>in, and was pleasantly surprised at how easily readable it was. But as s=
ome=0D
>others have stated, it's not always easy to WRITE good IL, because of va=
rious=0D
>naturalistic irregularities in word formation.=0D
>=0D
=0D
Like anything it takes practice. Novial is not as easily recognizable at =
first sight
as Interlingua is.=0D
=0D
>I've often declaimed about unfortunate choices made in the design of Esp=
eranto,

>so I will not repeat the arguments, but certainly, with the 1907 reforms=
 that=0D
>produced Ido, it became a much better language, strong where Interlingua=
 is=0D
>weak (much more regularity), weak where Interlingua is strong (much less=
=0D
>recognizability). I long for something between these, and so I've been p=
ushing=0D
>Novial. But there are other languages, like Phil Hunt's Eurolang, that a=
lso=0D
>attempt to make similar compromises.=0D
>=0D
=0D
I've looked at Phils pages and there seems to be much good in Eurolang. B=
ut, no offense
Phil, it feels a bit ponderous in reading it aloud. I also like Eurial a =
bit.=0D
=0D
>I really think that before voting, people should at leat LOOK at other I=
ALs=0D
>besides their favorite. They might be surprised at finding something the=
y=0D
>like. Certainly, I'm not requiring people to reach fluency in anything, =
but=0D
>they ought to know the basic design principles of Esperanto, Ido, Occide=
ntal,=0D
>IALA-Interlingua, LSF, Glosa, and, yes, Novial... perhaps also Speedword=
s=0D
>and Eurolang.=0D
>=0D
=0D
Here you are simply taking it for granted that other people don't know ab=
out different
IALs only because they are new to the list Auxlang. Well, let me enlighte=
n you, this
is not the inner sanctum of the International Auxiliary Language movement=
. But when
I find it I'll send you a clue about it on a private message, how about t=
hat? Be
warned, you know what happens when you assume...=0D
 =0D
>OTOH, I have to admit that some people know things about languages I don=
't.=0D
>The reformed Ido of Meazzini (called Mezzanini in someone's ballot) and=0D
>the reformed Volapuek that someone else mentioned are, for example unkno=
wn to=0D
>me.=0D
>=0D
=0D
Which is exactly the reason why it's advisable to refrain from declaring =
the ignorance
of others before =0D
getting aptly briefed.=0D
=0D
>So even I am deficient in some of the knowledge I might need to make a c=
hoice.=0D
>=0D
=0D
Choose then, it doesn't feel like a life or death issue to me on this one=
. =0D
=0D
>                                Bruce R. Gilson=0D
>                                email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]
=0D
>                                IRC: EZ-as-pi=0D
>                                WWW: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHil=
l/3141=0D
>                                (for language stuff: add /langpage.html)=
=0D
>=0D
=0D
+----------------------------------------------+=0D
|Interlingua es un standardisation del linguas |=0D
|    romance e anglese e del vocabulario       |=0D
|  international del scientias e technologia.  |=0D
|             APPRENDE INTERLINGUA!            |=0D
|                                              |=0D
|          http://www.interlingua.com/         |=0D
                 UMBERTO MARTIN=0D