AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  December 1997, Week 5

AUXLANG December 1997, Week 5

Re: Io vota pro Interlingua de IALA (fwd)

James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Dec 1997 14:48:59 GMT

Bob Petry skripted:

[Long quote about I-a and Gode]
> Is anyone who knows the history of IAL's confused by
> "Interlingua,
> Gode"?

No, no one "who knows the history of IALs" is confused by this.
It seems clear to any impartial observer that Gode was by far the
greatest contributor to IALA Interlingua. Of course, it is to the
advantage of the I-a supporters to give the impression that their
language was the product of many years of work by a large number
of linguists who in the end all settled on I-a. This is of course
not the case. Possibly Martinet had a large influence on the
outcome, but I think it is fair to say, in reality, that I-a
is essentially Gode's language.

I have heard it suggested that Collinson approved of the final
form, but this I cannot believe because Collinson was for many
years, possibly his whole life a member of the Esp movement.
Jespersen was closely involved with IALA in the early days
(1924-39), but in 1936 he was already criticizing the IALA's
preliminary decisions and plans. Jespersen absolutely would
not have accepted the final language of IALA, and let there be
no doubt in anyone's mind about that. The truth of the matter
is that throughout its existence IALA had the support of many
of those most closely invloved with ILs, but that the final
language did not.

It is clear that Interlingua supporters will claim that their
language is the work of an authoritative body, and is thus
definitive. The Delegation in 1907 was also an authoritative
body, and IALA reversed many of its decisions without any good
reason (stated or not). The first task of the Interlingua-ists
is therefore to study the decisions of the Delegation, Permanent
Commission and the first Ido-Akademio, and to justify on every
point their failure to accept the decisions of those bodies.

James Chandler