AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  December 1997, Week 5

AUXLANG December 1997, Week 5

Postings in other languages than English

Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Dec 1997 21:38:03 +0100

>Kjell Rehnstr=F6m wrote:
>>
>> I think it is quite in order to furnish an English translation of you - a=
>> I'm doing now - is writing a posting in Swedish. It is, however, another
>> thing if you are writing in Esperanto, Ido, Interlingua or Novial, as it
>> so happens that this list deals with international auxiliary languages an=
>> then it must be a minimum requirement that participants in this list at
>> least should have a passive understanding of the most common auxiliary
>> languages.
>
>I have to disagree with you there, at least in the strict sense. The
>most common auxiliary languages are English, Spanish, French, Malay,
>Arabic and Swahili; only the first three would reach very many
>subscribers here.
>
>I have no problem with whatever language people choose to use here,
>however. If it's something I want to understand and can't, I'll ask;
>otherwise I'll ignore it. Since I assume that's the case for everybody,
>the language one chooses to post in is simply a function of the breadth
>of subscribers one wishes to reach. English seems to reach everybody
>without exception; I don't think the same can be said for any other
>language.
>

>-- Mark
I thought this list delt with in some aspect constructed auxiliary
languages. It is true that the languages you mention are also used as
auxiliary languages, more or less as I'm using English just now, but they
are also languages with a huge number of native speakers.

If you will agree with me that there are languages like Esperanto, Ido or
Interlingua we are talking about here, then there should be to expect that
people taking part had a knowledge of one or some of these languages or
that they would like to acquire such knowledge. If you knowEsperanto or
Ido on the one hand and some Interlingua or Occidental on the other, you
can read all of the main international constructed auxiliary languages.
The exceptions being Volap=FCk . I have as yet not seen examples of Glossa,
not only words but a longer text.

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87