AUXLANG December 1997, Week 5

Italiano - Interlingua - Esperanto II

Allan Kiviaho <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Dec 1997 22:51:50 +0200

-------------------------------------
Italiano - Interlingua - Esperanto II
-------------------------------------

----------------- James Chandler 971229 ------------------
Interesanti exemple. Kand on konsidera, ke Interlingua de =

IALA (non de Gode) es esensialim nulum otri kam italianum,
nonsufisantim simplifikat, kun spani plural-signe, on non =

vud es astonati si italianes vud prefera Interlingua.
    Allan Kiviaho 971230: Dear James, I think that
    the Italians vud not like the word "vud", nor
    vud the Spaniards, vud they? I vudn't.
Interesting example. When one considers, that IALA =

Interlingua (not Gode's) is essentially nothing other than Italian,
insufficiently simplified, =

    Allan: James, Italian is a very beautiful
    language, I would not like to see it bobbed
    too much. What do you have against Italian?
    Italian is the main hereditary of the LATINO
    VULGATA, the very foundation of the European
    culture. =

with a Spanish plural sign, one would not be surprised if Italians
preferred Interlingua.
Vun konviktione pri la superitate de vun lingue fika li
esperantistes sembla konsiliatebli.
Your conviction about the superiority of your language makes the
Esperantists seem reasonable.
    Allan: The only reason for my campaigning against
    Esperanto is that Interlingua and Esperanto seem
    to be the languages that are rivalling for the
    status of the auxiliar language for the European
    Union. I would like to see a LATIN language =

------------------ Paul O Bartlett 971229 ----------------
Your test was incomplete. You did not "print" the =

Esperanto correctly. The supersigned letters were missing.
    Allan Kiviaho 971230: Dear Paul, if you had
    followed the texts in Esperanto in the web,
    at least in the discussions in Europe, you
    would know that the Esperantists widely use
    "x" as substitution for diacritic signs.
    Actually it seems that the Esperantistas have
    not so far come to the conclusion as of what
    would be their standardized diacritic signs.
    Io have used "x" that I have seen so many times.  =

If the test were to be printed in Italian newspapers, for example, you
would have to be sure that they would have no problems with the
supersigned letters. =

    Allan: Paul, there are very few supersigned
    letters in Italian (Only one, =E8?) and I am sure =

    that they would deeply abhor e.g. the signs used
    in Esperanto, as do I. In "my" auxiliary =

    language for the European Union there are no
    place for other letters than those of Latin and
    English.     =

We all know, of course, that Esperanto is, and always has been, easily
and readily printed in all newspapers around the world which use the
Latin alphabet. (Use 'em or abolish 'em, folks.)
    Allan: Yes, folks! Use your text processors and
    substitute by "global search and replace" operation
    all x's with a diacritical sign if you think that
    it would give more justice to Esperanto. However,
    do you think that e.g. the British press would start
    printing such signs?

---------------- Donald J. HARLOW 971229 -----------------
Just to correct the Esperanto (which has a few minor errors in it...):
    Allan Kiviaho 971230: Don, I appreciate your
    corrections. I would like also the Esperantoan
    part of the text as good as possible. =

(Please use the font Courier SudEuro 10 when reading this =

message)
    Allan: Heh, I would not like to mess with any =

    other fonts than those used in the Americans
    and Britons.
Umm... I had a better idea for your election. First, we =

could have a month-long campaign, in which the Interlingua speakers
revealed the lies of the Esperanto speakers for what they were and the
Esperanto speakers revealed the lies of the Interlingua speakers for
what they were.
    Allan: Don, we have been listening to a myriad
    of lies by the Esperantists, perhaps enough -
    some basic, well-founded truths told by the
    Interlinguanists.
Second, we could hold the election in China, which has =

twenty to forty times the population of Italy, and so is somewhat more
representative of the global population. The Esperanto speakers there
could run the Esperanto
campaign, and the Interlingua speakers there could run the =

Interlingua campaign.
    Allan: Aber mein Herr, mein lieber Herr! If we are
    electing an auxiliary language for Europe, the best
    possible place for benchmarking is hardly China. =

    However, I deeply admire the culture of China.
    Perhaps we all speak chinese (the main branch of
    it) and crawl in the dust before the money of them,
    if China is some day the biggest economic power in =

    the world as many experts have been predicting.

----------------- James Chandler 971230 ------------------
And where such common roots are not possible, Interlingua =

*does* seem to have a propensity to take Italian words.  Often the S P
forms are not far off, but the F E D etc. and especially R are miles
away. =

    Allan Kiviaho 971230: I think referring to Russian
    by the creators of Interlingua was just lip service.
    Russian has very little to offer to Interlingua,
    except such widely known terms like "liquidation",
    "ukaz", "bolshevism" etc. but they are common
    property of all languages when there is question
    about Russia. But otherwise the Russian language
    of Pushkin, Dostoievski, Tolstoy etc. is a very
    rich language, albeit quite archaic, but my beloved
    Finnish is an archaic language, too.
So add that to the 50-60% of roots common to I + n>=3D1 others, and you
get an enormous proportion of Interlingua being common to Italian.
    Allan: For me it seems that if there is a lack of
    consensus between the control languages the root
    is being sought after principally in Latin. It
    is only too natural that the roots found in Latin
    also appear in Italian. Once again: Why do you not
    like Italian? Italiano sine flexione would be =

    perfectly OK to me.

Good night, Gentlepersons (It is 22:45 in Finland and the
tone of my wife from the bedroom is going more menacing =

all the time ...)

Allan