AUXLANG December 1997, Week 5

Exit Interlingua?

James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 30 Dec 1997 22:21:05 +0000

The arguments of the Interlingua supporters are now really beginning to
unfold.
Stan Mulaik thinks that, because spelling reform in a national
language might cause collision in the written language, the same
objection can be made to justify unphonetic spellings in a
constructed language.  Even if he had a point about English (which
he doesn't, as homophones don't disturb us in the spoken
language, since we have spent years threading through the mazes
of our mother tongues, and we can distinguish homonyms in the
written language as easily as we can in the spoken from the
context.  How do we otherwise deal with homophones which are also
homonyms?), the argument evidently holds no sway whatsoever for an
artificial language, since we are there free to choose roots with a view
to avoiding such clashes.  Even if unphonetic spellings could be put to
use to distinguish words in the written language, this would cause
havoc in the spoken, with all sorts of collisions arising.  Is
Interlingua only intended as a written language?

Kjell R. would like us to proceed according to the following maxim,
which I am assuming was not meant purely in jest (though I cannot be
sure):
The best international auxiliary language is the one that presents a
minimum of difficulties in learning other languages which it is based on or
related to.

Since the purpose of an international language is to spare people the
task of learning a multitude of national languages, and an IL should be
easy to people whether *or not* they have ever learnt or will ever learn
a foreign language, I cannot regard this as a serious contribution to
the debate.  If Kjell is really proposing to supplant Jespersen's
maxim with this one, he cannot hope to be taken seriously by his fellow
interlinguists, as far as I can see.

Allan Kiviaho, meanwhile, is more than happy for an IL to be nothing
more than a simplified Italian, and comes close to admitting that
Interlingua is just that.  Italian may be the closest modern
language to Vulgar Latin.  But what, precisely, does that have to
do with an IL which we wish to base on what is in actual current use
in modern languages?
If a vocabulary steeped in Latin/Italian is what they want, they are
quite welcome to it.  What did Dyer have to say about that?
"(3) The "etymological" or purely Latin-root method of selection.
 No word would be admitted (except possibly a few technical words,
 as telephone, boycott) which does not have its origin in the
 classical or medieval Latin.  This method of selection might
 claim to do away with the labor of seeking some medium form of
 root from the divergent forms as they have developed in modern
 languages or the selection of one word from the several totally
 different ones which appear in modern languages to express a
 similar idea - all one would have to do would be to seek the
 Latin etymological form.  A purely Latin vocabulary would be
 easy for peoples of the Romance group, especially the Italians,
 and would offer a certain degree of facility to all peoples
 because of the interpenetration of Latin words.
 Against such a method of selection may be said (1) that any
 disregard of modern, maximum internationality means that the
 resulting IL must be less efficient for the peoples as a
 whole; (2) that it is an obvious concession to scholars
 trained under the classical tradition and perhaps to Italians.
 To make concessions to small groups, however important they may
 regard themselves, is unfair.  Because Latin is easy for
 scholars and Italians, it by no means follows that Latin words
 have easy intelligibility and facile use to the common run of
 people for which an IL is chiefly intended; (3) that the
 purely etymological roots to be selected often differ
 considerably from all the developed forms of the same roots as
 they now appear and that as a consequence they would be more
 difficult to remember and use than medium forms selected from
 modern languages; (4) that if the etymological forms of the
 roots were disregarded and some common spelling be selected from
 the modern form of the words, the vocabulary would not greatly
 differ from that found in Idiom-Neutral and Ido; (5) that it
 ignores that large body of words common to the English and
 German which by reason of predominance of population (to say
 nothing of cultural standing) have as much, if not more right
 to be taken into consideration as words derived from a dead
 language.  If we are to let down on the principle of maximum
 internationality why should we not endeavour to favor especially
 the linguistic peculiarities of these two great and growing
 peoples, as distinguished from the Romance group, they certainly
 are of more importance than the small group of classical
 scholars; (6) that the classical and medieval Latin was the reflex
 of a bygone civilization and is not applicable to modern
 conditions; ..."

The Italian/modern Latin method of vocabulary selection is flawed
because it does not take into account the number of people who
are familiar with a given form through their mother-tongue.  It
cannot furnish an optimum or near-optimum vocabulary.
Further, Interlingua makes so little attempt at simplification on
*any* front that it is made *very much less efficient* than a
language constructed along the lines of Ido or Novial.
It matters not one jot what the history of the European languages
tells us.  What we are interested in is what is in *actual
current usage*.

I do not think I have to say any more.  Every argument put by a
supporter of this language makes their case less tenable.

It is fair to say that IALA Interlingua is nothing but an abberation
in the history of IL development, a dinosaur from the pre-1907
days when the Latin projects held sway.  It will now kindly admit
its unfitness for its purpose and bow out gracefully.

James Chandler