AUXLANG December 1997, Week 5

Exit Interlingua?

Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Dec 1997 07:03:36 +0100

James Chandler writes:

(snip)

>Kjell R. would like us to proceed according to the following maxim,
>which I am assuming was not meant purely in jest (though I cannot be
>sure):
>The best international auxiliary language is the one that presents a
>minimum of difficulties in learning other languages which it is based on or
>related to.

Nice that James can see some humour in that. No, I didn't joke. I merely
tried to state what I thought would be the principle - if not the most
important one - for an international auxiliary language.

My experience is that we will have to learn foreign languages even in the
future. As I live in Europe it is very probable that the languages I shall
have to learn will be European languages. A child living in Hongkong,
whether it is Chinese or not should of course be put into a school where
they teach Chinese and English.

By that I want to point out that the place where you live, or the languages
that are spoken around you may determine your opinions. I am of course
biassed by the fact that people in my country learn English as their first
foreign language and then German and French. (You can also take Spanish and
Russian and Latin in highscool - depending on what programme you are in).
Now, if I have to suggest to another person what international he or she
should learn, it is obvious that I would suggest Interlingua. If I had been
asked in the beginning of the sixties I would certainly have said
Esperanto, as I did not know about Interlingua at that time.

There appears to be some evolution taking place over time and that perhaps
can explain my opinion today.

The young person who starts learning Interlingua like I started Esperanto
in my early teens will notice that the relation between Interlingua and
other school languages. His occupation with Interlingua will make it easier
for him to understand the corresponding words in Swedish and suddenly this
person will note that he can read Spanish and Italian! Much in the same way
as he can read Danish and Norwegian. Therefore Interlingua should be the
natural choice.

>Since the purpose of an international language is to spare people the
>task of learning a multitude of national languages, and an IL should be
>easy to people whether *or not* they have ever learnt or will ever learn
>a foreign language, I cannot regard this as a serious contribution to
>the debate.  If Kjell is really proposing to supplant Jespersen's
>maxim with this one, he cannot hope to be taken seriously by his fellow
>interlinguists, as far as I can see.

I tried to describe the thing as I saw it. If "my fellow interlinguists"
woun't "take me seriously" is not so important. The interesting thing is
that they may formulate it in another way or demonstrate to me that I am
wrong, or not totally right. That's what an open discussion is made for.

>Allan Kiviaho, meanwhile, is more than happy for an IL to be nothing
>more than a simplified Italian, and comes close to admitting that
>Interlingua is just that.  Italian may be the closest modern
>language to Vulgar Latin.  But what, precisely, does that have to
>do with an IL which we wish to base on what is in actual current use
>in modern languages?

I can understand Allan's view as Interlingua can be seen as a modern
dialect at the side of Italian, Spanish, Portugese and French is
reasonable. This modern dialect is free of the specific characteristics of
the individual national languages. The purest form of these words is seen
in the derivations of "entry words". Take "cordial, fluviatile, oculista,
nocturne" as juxtaposed to "heart, river, eye, night". (Those interested
can translate these words into Italian, French, Portuguese and Spanish).

>If a vocabulary steeped in Latin/Italian is what they want, they are
>quite welcome to it.  What did Dyer have to say about that?

What he had to say was true for him. For me this has no relevance as I am
living in another time and at another place. And while I am at it: Is Dyer
talking about Interlingua?!

>"(3) The "etymological" or purely Latin-root method of selection.
> No word would be admitted (except possibly a few technical words,
> as telephone, boycott) which does not have its origin in the
> classical or medieval Latin.....>

The common words in our European languages are mostly from mediaeval Latin.
A secretary is _ab epistulis_ in Classical Latin. The _secretarius_ came
much later. THAT was the common word in nearly all European languages and
therefore in Interlingua as well. Train, traino, treno is a common word so
it is _traino_ in interlingua. Modernized Classical Latin uses a Greek
loanword for that.

>The Italian/modern Latin method of vocabulary selection is flawed
>because it does not take into account the number of people who
>are familiar with a given form through their mother-tongue. ...>

The Italian mould the words according to the rules of Italian so in Italian
you will meet _letteratura, storia, istituto_ etc.

>I do not think I have to say any more.  Every argument put by a
>supporter of this language makes their case less tenable.

Un texto in interlingua dice plus in re iste lingua que mille parolas de
explication.

A text in interlingua says more about this language than a thousand words
of explanation.

>It is fair to say that IALA Interlingua is nothing but an abberation
>in the history of IL development, a dinosaur from the pre-1907
>days when the Latin projects held sway.  It will now kindly admit
>its unfitness for its purpose and bow out gracefully.

Attention! Attention! Ille dinosauro que es Interlingua, un relicto del
antiquitate del historia del linguas internation a ponite se in MOTION!

Credeva

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87