Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  January 1998, Week 3

AUXLANG January 1998, Week 3

Re: Speedwords Revisited: was: universal adoption of latin letters

"Robert J. Petry" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:50:21 -0700

James Chandler wrote:

> I've just completed my translation of Jespersen's article "The
> Universal Adoption of Latin Letters".
> The address is
> http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037/latin.html
> or from my IALs main page (subtract /latin.html).
>
> James Chandler

Speren Zarz,

As the Native American "Indian" said in the movie Little Big Man,
"Today is a good day to die." It seems that when things come
together it does so in one "fell swoop". [wonder where that
expression came from?]

Anyway, I had just two minutes before reading James' post above,
finished reading a page in Languages in Seventeenth and Eighteenth
Century Imaginary Voyages by Cornelius. James' article from
Jespersen and the book clarified for me what Dutton was attempting
with Speedwords. And, even knowing this, I had fallen into the
same idea that others had about Speedwords, which I must grow out
of.

Speedwords is still Dutton's "Symbolic" language in Roman Alphabet
disguise. He is using the "abc's" to create pictograms, not
European words, per se. This is why, Speedwords can be pronounced
in one's own native language OR the Speedwords method. Anyway, I
hope you all enjoy this info since it may be a little long. If
not, you could stop here and go on to your next email letter.

Dutton wrote this: "Prof. Karlgren's Sound and Symbol in Chinese
has proved to be an invaluable work of reference, and provided the
source of inspiration for the scheme of Idea Compounds."
Acknowledgement in his textbook, 1943,44,46.

Then, prior to that he wrote this in 1935. "However, it does not
seem an impossibility to devise a simple scheme of symbols which
could be used for easy international communications between
members of different nationalities who share similar interests,
without their being required to attempt the almost insurmountable
task of learning every other language, and I have made an effort
to supply the need by means of a scheme of international symbols,
based on the principles found in the Chinese Script. Instead of
ideographs, HOWEVER[my emphasis], my scheme uses the ordinary
Roman alphabetic characters found on most typewriters..."

If you will read Jespersen's article posted by James, you will
find J mentions the Chinese language, and his comments, I feel, go
to this question being addressed by Dutton and his Speedwords. His
Speedwords are symbols that can be read by all peoples even
though, like the Chinese, they would be pronounced differently.

Note: The reason Dutton finally gave and devised pronunciation
principles for Speedwords is because Dr. Foat said this, in
essence, to Dutton. Yes, it is extremely easy and fast for anyone
to learn Speedwords [or your symbolic script] but what about on
the battle field when soldiers on the same side speaking different
languages needed instant communication? So, Dutton changed and
added pronunciation. But his original intent was a universal
"Chinese style" written language. Of course, now it has the added
benefit of pronunciation.

Now, in addition to James' post, here are two quotes from the book
mentioned that helped solidify in my mind what Dutton was doing.
And, truly as Shaw, Foat and Hogben wrote about Speedwords, it is
INGENIOUS.

"The new awareness of the Chinese language by seventeenth-century
Europeans was one of the most inportant influences behind the
movement for a universal language which developed during that
time. First of all, because of their awareness of the common
WRITTEN SYMBOLS [my emphasis] of the Chinese, a number of
Europeans proposed a universal language for Europe. Later on in
the century, a number of artificial universal languages were
devised by Europeans, behind which the Chinese influence was
strongly at work.
"Certainly one of the first reactions of Europeans to reports of
the written language of the Chinese was that if these far-away
people of the Orient has a UNIVERSAL WRITTEN LANGUAGE [my
emphasis], perhaps EUROPEANS COULD HAVE ONE TOO. [my emphasis]
(and Dutton gave us one) Matthew Ricci himself, in his diaries,
made such a suggestion: 'Apart from the fact that writing in
Chinese is in itself an accomplishment, and not a common one, any
book in Chinese was sure to find its way with profit into the
fifteen provinces of the kingdom. Moreover, it would also be
understood by the Japanese, the Koreans, the inhabitants of Cochin
China, the Leuchians, and even by peoples of other countries, who
would be able to READ[my emphasis] it as well as the Chinese.
WHILE THE SPOKEN LANGUAGES OF THESE DIFFERENT RACES ARE AS UNLIKE
AS CAN BE IMAGINED, THEY CAN UNDERSTAND WRITTEN CHINESE BECAUSE
EACH WRITTEN CHARACTER (read "symbol") IN CHINESE REPRESENTS AN
INDIVIDUAL THING. (read idea) IF [my emphasis] this were
universally true, we would be able to TRANSMIT OUR IDEAS TO
PEOPLES OF OTHER COUNTRIES IN WRITING,  though we would not be
able to SPEAK to them. [my emphasis]'"

And Speedwords, with a limited number of symbols, just +ro- 500
can easily be learned by the Chinese, Japanese, etc.! So, no one
is left out.

That is what Dutton was striving for, and Foat caused him to add
another benefit, pronunciation, although it is not necessary to
use it. So, what is Speedwords?

It is an International Symbolic Language that uses the Roman
Alphabet instead of pictures or symbols.
It is a Shorthand system that DOUBLES any national's writing
speed, no matter his or her language.
It is a Spoken Auxiliary Language.
It is simple to learn.
It is fast to learn.
It is built from multiple national languages.
It is complete.
It is ready to go.
It has a simple grammar.
It has a complete dictionary.
It is also built upon word frequency.
And, something I just found out yesterday, on sound frequency.

Hope I haven't bored anyone. But I just had to share this
wonderful, for me, moment on a birght sunny day in the Southwest
deserts of Arizona.

Al l sue,
Bob