AUXLANG January 1998, Week 3

Re: pastor - ducer-grege

"Bruce R. Gilson" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Jan 1998 09:14:16 -0800

>Well, is there a term for "herd" in Novial.  Make the pastor a "herder".

I have not yet found such a word. "To herd" as a verb is not that common a
word in English, anyway. But as I mentioned, one problem I've had with the
Novial Lexike is that (unlike his concern for the grammar and the actual
method of building vocabulary) when J came up to deciding what words were
important to include in a dictionary, his instincts were not good. He included
many words that I find impossible to imagine anyone feeling a need for (even
accepting that this is almost 70 years later, and that therefore one has to
omitting words that (I'm sure even in 1930) were much more useful. Sure, you
can't fault him for not having words for "television" or "computer." But
"noun"? (Especially since he has "verb"!)

However, we have found in several situations a word we were looking for, but
nobody at first thought of the right synonym to hunt for. For a long time we
searched in vain for "to try (to do something)." It turns out that neither
"try" nor "attempt" is to be found (though, in another example of the quirky
choices made by J, "criminal attempt" is!) but "strive, exert onself" were
given as meanings of the N30 verb "eforta" (thus the NN verb "efortar").
So, it may turn out there is such a word; however, we have not discovered
it yet.

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi