Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  January 1998, Week 3

AUXLANG January 1998, Week 3

WHAT DO WE EUROPEANS HAVE AGAINST THE DIPHTONGS?

Allan Kiviaho <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 07:17:18 +0200

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
WHAT DO WE EUROPEANS HAVE AGAINST THE DIPHTONGS?
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

[Julian Pardoe 980113]
I think the example of Turku shows that it's English pro-
nunciation that is a mess, not English spelling. If only we
hadn't had that damned vowel shift we wouldn't be saying /ei/,
/i/, /ai/, /@u/, /ju/ when the rest of the world says /a/, /e/,
/i/, /o/, /u/.

da[980113]
[James Hewitt 980113]
What drivel! What do you have against diphthongs anyway?

[Allan Kiviaho 980115]

WHAT DO WE EUROPEANS HAVE AGAINST THE DIPHTONGS?

A lot!

A =3D In Finnish and Latin always A (AA =3D long A)
But in English:
A  (fAr)
EI (Alien]
=C4 or =D6 (and)

E =3D In Finnish and Latin always E (EE =3D long E)
But in English:
E (bEtter)
I (English)

EA =3D in Finnish and Latin (?) always EA
But in English:
E      (lEAd /matter/)
II     (lEAd /verb/)
EI     (stEAk)
silent (usE)

EI =3D in Finnish and Latin (?) always EI
But in English:
II (recEIve) -- But IE is also II (achIEve)

I =3D In Finnish and Latin always I (II =3D long I)
But in English:
AI (tIme)
I  (bIt)

IE =3D In Finnish and Latin (?) always IE =

But in English:
AI (lIE)
II (achIEve) -- But EI is also II (recEIve)

O =3D In Finnish and Latin always O (OO =3D long O)
But in English:
I  =3D (wOmen)
O  =3D (spOt)
OU =3D nOne)

U =3D In Finnish and Latin always U (UU =3D long O)
But in English:
A    (bUt)
U    (pUsh)
YU   (Use)
%#$? (difficUlt)
=D6    (luxUry)

Y =3D In Finnish and Greek always Y (as in French menU)
But in English:
AI (bY, bYe)
I  (sYphilis)

Well, the total inconsistency in the vowel system in the
English language makes it virtually good for nothing as
a carrier of information in Europe and Latin America.

And the Great Diphtong Shift! I wonder whether English is
the only language in the world where even single vowels
are diphtongized. E.g.

A =3D EI
I =3D AI

The terrible mess in the English language makes it =

impossible to express the names of people, places etc. =

in Europe, where latin pronunciation is used everywhere =

(more or less) in English. One is forced to spell out
the names in a clumsy way, letter by letter:

Khei Ai Vii Ai Ei Eitsh Ou =3D Kiviaho
(Result: Kavaeeo)

I am very angry for the way the Angloamericans are
distorting and mutilating the beautiful name of mine.

In Finnish we would spell the name:
Koo Ii Vee Ii Aa Hoo Oo
(Result: Kiviaho)

Of course there are pecularities also in European =

languages. In German, for example:
Kaa Ii Fau Ii Aa Haa Oo =3D Kifiaho
I really cannot understand, WARUM the Germans have
two graphemes for "F" (F and V). And:
EI =3D AI
IE =3D II
EU =3D OI
=C4U =3D OI (H=E4user =3D Hoiser /Houses/
        ABER JEDOCH: Matth=E4us =3D Matteus, the Germans
        cannot write Matteus, because it were
        pronunciated as Mattois.
Still the German (and other European) pecularities are
slight and fairly regular anyway as compared with those
in English. Perhaps the "worst" language in that respect
is French with its nasal sounds etc., but on the other
hand French is a strictly regular language.

I sincerely hope that some constructed language will be
introduced as THE official language for the European
Union for all communications BETWEEN the European =

languages. I am convinced that the best choice for that
purpose is INTERLINGUA, then comes Glosa and then
reformed variations of Esperanto. But I abhor the
original Esperanto for several reasons but admit that
Esperanto is a working language and easily reformable
to an acceptable one. But I am for Interlingua, because
I am a fanatic supporter of the European cultural
heritage and put an extremely great value for the
ESTHETICAL characteristics of a language. I think that =

Interlingua is more beautiful than any natlang.

If not some conlang, then ANY continental European =

language but not English. Docent Kari Nahkola at the
University of Tampere (Finland) predicts that in the
not too far distance the GERMAN language will become
the lingua franca of the European Union. But not the
European Union as it is today but a so-called "dense"
European Union, consisting of Germany and her
satellites that will be: Germany, Netherland, the =

Scandinavian countries including Finland, the Baltic
states, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia,
Austria, may be even Switzerland and Northern Italy,
most likely even the greater area of Sankt Peterburg
(Russia). Sooner or later also other East European
and Balkan countries. A new Hanseatic League, that is. =

Possibly that "dense EU" will be more or less unofficial
but in any case a hard core of the Union. =

The German language will inevitably bacome the lingua
franca in such a league. Maybe there is one hope:
Interlingua. Even Germany may be interested in having
a strong and really international conlang as counterpart
for English.

Docent Nahkola says that German language will gradually
exterminate such small languages as Finnish, although
Finnish survived almost intact 500-600 years of Swedish =

and 100 years of Russian occupation. According to
Nahkola the Finnish language would die out within some
200 years. I would say to that that it would be a wonder
if the humanity would survive for such a long time. And
I believe that even Interlingua could quite possibly
kill off the Finnish language. But I do not worry about
that.

English will take a full hegemony overall in the world
but as soon as possible we Europeans must start our
counterattack armed with a powerful weapon, Interlingua.

I think that every European should have a full fluency
in at least three languages: The native language of
the corresponding country, Interlingua and English.

My daughter and her boyfriend ("quasi-husband" - very
few people get married in Finland anymore) are very
good in English, they are teachers in English and French.
My son can speak very good English, too (he and his =

sister were in an American school in Switzerland
in 1983--5). And our son's girl-friend (quasi-wife)
was recently studying English in London.

I have had some difficulties in English because I
have never studied it. In the school I studied Swedish
(obligatory, because Swedish is an official language in
Finland) and German. I was 23 years old when I started
to read English magazines and books. Even today I read
almost every day English magazines and books, just now
Lord Owen's "The Balkan Odyssey" (On the Bosnian war).

But still I don't like the idea of English as the single =

omnipotent language in the world.

Today our whole company (a newspaper) will fly to =

Copenhagen. There we will encounter something that is
no language but a throat-illness, Danish.

Hip-hip-hooray!

Allan
Finland