AUXLANG January 1998, Week 4

Word building in Novial (fwd)

James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:56:11 GMT

Bruce Gilson skripted:

> Using purely Novial morphemes, in a manner justified by the
> NL, we came up with "enretat" for "online" and "enmashinar" for "to enter
> into
> a machine." Both are totally understandable in terms of common Novial
> morphemes, and none of these morphemes are (like E-o's el-, -ig-, -igh-)
> arbitrary, but all are found in natlangs in the source group.
>
> en- = into
> rete = net
> -a(r) = forms verbs
> -t = passive participle marker.

I myself have always used (inter)reto in Ido. This is a borrowing from
Esp, and I think this usage is justified: in fact, reto means network,
so it is the obvious one to go for.
Your formation ENRETAT implies to me a verb RETA. This is not in
NL, so I presume you have invented this and given it the meaning "to
place in the internet, to put online". I would ask you to consider
whether this is an unambiguous formation from the sb RETE.
To avoid the need for a new verb here, I would use INRETI. This method
is very common in Ido, where we say INTERNACIONA, SENSENCA, etc.
Again, I'm a little unsure about ENMASHINAR. There is something missing
here to be filled in by the reader, I think. I also think it necessitates
a derivation MASHINE -> MASHINA.
How about just using POSI EN MASHINE?

James Chandler