AUXLANG January 1998, Week 4

Prejudice/racism

Kjell Rehnström <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:59:58 +0100

Ray discussed  some interesting things, he wrote:

>....and shades of Apartheid.
>This doesn't seem to me very different from the attitude that it is
>impossible that Whites, Asians, Coloreds (i.e. descendants of mixed-race
>liaisons) & Bantu could form a society that worked well; far better, it was
>said, that each group developed its own culture.  The result? Years of
>bitterness, fear, mistrust - the same ingredients that led to strife &
>bloodshed not only in SA but in places such as Bosnia and, for more than
>quarter of a century, in the six counties of northern Ireland.

It is very hard for a nation having had the upper hand to realize that they
do not have it any more. It was hard for the Brittish in Ireland, for the
Ex-Soviets in the Baltics and the privileged in South Africa.

Or take the aboriginal population in many countries who are being pushed
back by the majority society that needs their natural resorces.

The Saami population was linguistically integrated into Swedish society in
a very authoritarian way. They were forbidden to use their language and all
the rest that we know from lots of European countries in the 40's and 50's.

But on the other hand, just because they were so well integrated -
linguistically - this was perhaps the cause why they could look after their
interests and tell Majority Society about the injustices against them.

It might be that the aboriginal Americans will be able to look after their
rights now that there in spite all is an encriesing number of people
getting a university education - in English, so they can work for their
interests vis-=E0-vis Majority Society. As when treaties between the US
government and Indians were signed but never honored.

This is the story around the world where there has been a conquerer and a
conquered.

The conqueror has soldiers, traders, missionaries and volunteers.

Soldiers conquer the territory.
Traders trade: firs, slaves, metals; sell pearls, guns, brandy, hashish,
Missionaries tell people to be kind to eachother and wear shorts.
Volunteers come and try to clear the mess!

Something like the _good guy - bad guy_ tactics used by certain oppressive
forces in our societies.

Some people can extract the good out of all this, others can't.

>>When I once posted a sample of tutonish on INTERLNG,
>>the Scandinavian participants indicated they could read it without
>>difficulty.
>
>And not so long back you or someone else posted a sample of Tutonish on
>AUXLANG - as an example of simplification of natlangs to form a conlang; as
>such it was interesting.  And I replied saying that as I read the sample I
>could, so to speak, hear in the background a chant: "Ein Volk, eine
>Sprache, ein....."

>Ugh - the whole idea revolts me: a pan-Tutonic, a pan-Romanic and, I
>suppose, a pan-Slavic, pan-Turkic etc, etc.  This is ghetto mentality - the
>breeding ground of suspicion & mistrust that leads to fear & hatred.
>
>Surely the "international" in IAL means more than among the 'nations' of
>historic ethnic tribes.  I always thought the IAL movement was about
>reaching out.

Text deleted:

>My attitude to Euroclones is well known.  When Zamenhof, Jespersen & others
>designed their IALs in the late 19th & early 20th century, the French &
>British Empires were at their hight; most of Africa was administered either
>in French or in English, and the for the bits that weren't other Eurolangs
>served: German, Spanish & Portuguese.  The adminstrative language of the
>Indian subcontinent was English and of "IndoChina" in SE Asia it was
>French. In such a world it did make sense to base one's global IAL on the
>western European langs.

>WWII changed all that.  Those empires have, thanfully gone.  If the EU
>wants a conIAL it has more than enough choices already.  I can see no need
>for yet more Euroclones (except as a mental exercise for language
>modellers, on a par with playing chess or solving a dificult crossword
>etc).

_Euroclone_ sounds like ducktalk to me. Lets say that I meat a person
speaking Aymara and Spanish. Then there is an Euroclone that will help us
to communicate. It will be our broken Spanishes - has the Aymara had
schooling in Spanish then his language will be better than mine and he will
be able to correct my Spanish. It is at school where you get the language
of the country you are living in.

A Euroclone like Interlingua means trying to turn lanaguage imperialism
into some good, as it were.

An international non-Euroclone language will need a political or idealistic
concensus that could well be the motivated by a non-racist racism, if you
see what I mean.

>Surely at the end of the 20th century we ought to have some regard to the
>wider world?  I said in a posting I made when I got back from the former
>home of apartheid - now, thankfully, much transformed - that to my mind the
>continuing advocacy of a Euroclone as a _world_ auxiliary is nothing more
>than perpetuating the notion of white-supremacy.

On this list, dealing with Auxiliary Languages and where two of the ones I
master scored quite high in the December voting there is a lot of bleating
as soon as I post in Interlingua or Esperanto. Write in English!

So a lot of people having English as their mother tongue deny me the right
to use a language that is one of the themes of the discussion. I mean in
such a situation No More Euroclones make me laff.

Kjell [log in to unmask]
Kjell Rehnstroem
Vaenortsgatan 87
S-752 64  UPPSALA