AUXLANG January 1998, Week 5

INTERLINGUA IN LE UNION EUROPEE - III

Allan Kiviaho <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 Jan 1998 12:04:25 +0200

INTERLINGUA IN LE UNION EUROPEE - III

Emma Bonino and Esperanto

Dear Auxlinguists,

As you can see, Mrs. Emma Bonino, that powerful commissioner of the EU,
is strongly in favor for Esperanto. She has even visited an Esperanto
Congress in Finland. Perhaps she were less fond of Esperanto if she knew
Interlingua. Let's send her some material to compare.

If Interlingua will emerge victorious, the Esperantists can easily
become good teachers of Interlingua in EU.

Salutante

Allan

                                                                         =
  =

x x x =

Bonino: Interview
Let us clearly foresee the political route
An interview with European Commissioner Emma Bonino

from Esperanto, Mar. 1996 =

One of your colleagues in the Commission, Marcelino Oreja, summed up the
experience of a public meeting (17-18 Oct. 1995) relating to the
revision of the Treaty of Maastricht as follows: "It was shown that
civil society has a whole series of questions about the [European]
Union, about its functioning and goals. I observe that the Europeans
(...) are worried about the same things: jobs, peace, the environment,
mutual respect for rights, equal treatment, knocking down the material
and social bars against the development of the individual" The problem
of linguistic communication in the European Union does not appear in
that list. Are Europeans really not "worried" about it?

The majority of Europeans unfortunately are not yet worried about the
language problem, because they believe that use of the English language
will easily solve it. On this I don't agree at all: international use of
an ethnic language implies significant problems of learning and,
especially, cultural colonialism and political inequality.

Evidently, Esperanto can quite well enter the collection of general
goals toward which my colleague Marcelino Oreja is aiming. The
Esperantists' proposal is hindred by factors which relate not so much to
the language itself as to the political-nationalistic interests and,
especially, to the unbreakable wall of prejudice.

To propose Esperanto as an international -- preferably, transnational --
language is a more difficult undertaking than you might imagine, but the
Radical Party -- whose secretary I was -- and the "Esperanto" Radical
Association (ERA) is acting in this field. We are trying to do what is
possible, against what is probable.

In the "Language Policy in Europe" conference (Oct. 6-8, 1995, Marburg)
Uwe Korch, an official of the European Parliament, said that discussion
at high level on the European language problem is not occurring because
"the subject is a bomb that people fear to take in hand." Do you agree?
Isn't it time to defuse that bomb by taking up the problem at a suitably
high decision-making level?

While the language problem remains unsolved it is always time to take it
up anew in the European Parliament and in the Union's other
institutions.

I say: take it up anew, because as early as 1994, in the discussions
about the new EU programs Socrates and Leonardo, [radical
Euro-parliamentarian] Marco Panella introduced amendments which were
also supported outside the Houses of Parliament by the ERA and the
Radical Party. Unfortunately, the amendments were not approved, but on
the other hand the success of the demonstration arranged at UNESCO in
Paris during the 26th General Conference show that we have good reasons
to remain optimistic.

You yourself have initiated the establishment of a working group --
which has just met -- with the goal of producing a document for
discussion, a Green Book "on the costs for the service-using consumer
and for EU citizens in general of linguistic transnational
non-communication" (from your letter of Nov. 25, 1994, to Reinhard
Selten). How will you be able to make use of the results of that working
group? Can such a Green Book have any effect?

The idea of a Green Book, for which you -- our -- winner of the Nobel
Prize in Economics, Selten, has also worked, came from the ERA, and I
immediately supported it because I believe it is important to succeed in
making it understood what sort of barriers to economic development and
what sort of institutional costs are incurred for the lack of a European
federal language. Unfortunately, problems have arisen which have
hindered a more rapid realization of this informational project, but I
believe that we are already near our goal.

Afterwards we shall see how to use the results in the best way possible,
but I should already say that this will depend on how many of the
professors participating in the project will be available and to what
degree they will participate in it -- in the first place, Selten, who,
being a Nobel Laureate in economics, cannot fail to play a main part in
the utilization of the results.

According to the introductory words of Egon Klepsch, at that time
president of the European Parliament, to a conference on "The
Communications and Language Problem in the European Community"
(Brussels, Sep. 29, 1993), "in the bosom of the European offices it is
not correct to speak of communcations problems, because everybody there
knows two or three languages." What is your personal experience with
this? And which languages do you yourself know or speak well?

I disagree with Klepsch, I cout tell amusing stories about the meager
linguistic capabilities of some members of Parliament ... and, in any
case, the languages known are always the same. Once upon a time the
language of diplomacy was French, now English has replaced it. This
always has to do with power, never with a conscious and egalistic
choice. But, realistically, today you can no longer suitably work on an
international level without knowing English.

With respect to myself, I obviously speak Italian; in addition, because
of my doctorate in languages, Spanish, English and French, and I can
make do in several other languages.

In the name of the Commission, Edith Cresson recently (May 17 and May
31, 1995) answered negatively to the questions by Euro-parliamentarians
Marie-Paule Kestelijn-Sierens and Marianne Thyssen, both on experimental
Esperanto teaching projects. Cresson argued that the job of the
Commission is "to support the languages and cultures of the member
states," not Esperanto, because it "lacks the cultural and historical
richness of a natural language." According to her, "the Commission
believes that use of a neutral language might lead to some kind of loss
of tradition and identity."

Don't this statements show that, within the Commission, there is a lack
of informedness about several important aspects that linguists can
confirm, among other things that

-- Esperanto is a language just like the others;

-- use of a neutral language would not limit use of European languages,
but would in fact protect linguistic diversity, i.a. the use of minority
languages;

-- Esperanto facilitates the learning of other languages?

I completely agree with you, but the question is formulated as follows:
how to hang onto the attention of those spoken to long enough to give
them the knowledge necessary for a rational judgment to overcome a
prejudiced refusal? Personally, I believe that in any case the main
route to be followed is that of political struggle. In fact, the
sentence that you quote from Cresson is clearly a judgment that is
primarily political rather than cultural.

You consider yourself a friend of Esperanto. Why? Where did the impulse
for that come from?

I consider myself a friend of Esperanto because I am -- not only because
of my ideas -- a citizen of the world, and I believe that my whole life
proves this.

Why is the Radical Party the only important political force that
supports Esperanto with its full strength?

The Radical Party is the only important political force that fully
supports Esperanto because it is the first transnational and
interpartisan party in the world. Transnationality and interpartiality
imply doing politics across ethnic, territorial, linguistic, ideological
boundaries, across the boundaries of territorial membership in national
parties; they imply prioritizing ethics about ethnicity, that is, that
death from hunger or the death sentence is no less important if it
occurs abroad, that it is in any case a worrying fact.

It is not true that a lack of respect for human rights is less important
the further away from our homeland it occurs.

In the internal organization of our party, too, we have experienced how
heavy are the burdens, in terms of energy and finance, of the difficulty
of communicating across the entire planet. With respect to hardware, we
have provided ourselves with an efficient on-line system, Agor=E0, but th=
language problem remains. Agor=E0 is a multilingual system, i.e. you can
give commands or use possible textual variants in 7 languages, among
which we have chosen to include Esperanto.

But, as I said, the language problem remains: English already rules
on-line, while the other languages are being marginalized -- in this
respect the Esperantists and their organizations that are on the
Internet might help.

On a European level, what practical steps might be undertaken about
Esperanto with some hope of success?

Aside from the declarations of pure principle of the resolutions of 1954
and 1985, the Esperantist project Fundapax, approved by UNESCo in Paris,
was a good, first practical political success. Now it's necessary to
continue along the same route, with the international organizations as
with the European institutions.

These are not so much "steps" in favor of Esperanto as an entire route,
with a real departure on one day X and with an equally real arrival on
another day Y. We, the Esperantists, must clearly foresee, project and
politically organize this route. I know that the Radical Party and ERA
and working for this.

Not long ago you met Lee Chong-Yeong, the president of UEA [the
Universala Esperanto-Asocio], several members of its Board of Directors,
and -- representing the working group about the language problem in the
EU -- Hans Erasmus. Do you foresee further concrete collaboration with
UEA?

I believe that the question of collaboration with UEA is completely in
the hands of UEA itself.

Let me preferably explain by example: with several others I decided to
invite and host practically the entire Board of Directors of UEA at that
time, to participate as informational resources in the Radical Party
congress in 1992. At that time the question of an "International
Language" stood at the center of the presentations and discussions in
the congress, and your representatives reported about Esperanto to a
public of more than a hundred members of parliament from 42 countries,
belonging to more than 90 parties. You know, too, that at that time,
with tremendous financial strain, we send to all the parliaments of the
world a newspaper in many languages, among them Esperanto, and spoke in
each number about the International Language.

That would have been a brilliant chance to build a bridge between
Esperantists and members of parliament in those countries, and today we
would stand a big step in advance of where we are. But UEA decided not
to continue along that route.

I hope that with your new president something will change and that we
will, finally and in common, be able to work for a project for a
political victory of international linguistic democracy and Esperanto.
Now as previously, I'm in favor of that.

Emma Bonino

Commissioner for fisheries, consumer protection and the Office for
Humanitarian Aid of the European Community (ECHO).

Born March 9, 1948 in Bra (Cuneo, Italy). Graduated in languages and
literature in 1972 from Bocconi University in Milan.

1975: Founded the Centre for information about sterilization and
abortion (CISA) to give medical aid to women.

1976: Elected as member of the Italian parliament: reelected each time
she stood for election (1979, 1973, 1987, 1992, 1994). Among other
things, presided over the parliamentary fraction of the Radical Party
and was a member in the parliamentary presidum.

1978: Motor of a referendum against atomic energy, which resulted in
nullification of Italy's program of civil atomic energy.

1979: Member of the European Parliament; reelected in 1984.

1981: Co-founder of the organization International Nutrition and
Disarmament.

1987: Co-initiator of international campaigns for human, citizen and
political rights in Eastern Europe.

1991: Active campaigner -- through parliamentary campaigns, referenda
and civil disobedience -- for drug decriminialization and limitations on
the damaging effects of drugs.

1991-93: President of the transnational and interpartisan Radical Party.

1993-94: Party Secretary.