PED-EM-L February 1998

Versed for CT

Zach Kassutto <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Feb 1998 16:19:48 -0500

I have found that many of our patients, including the very young can be
CT'ed without sedation at all. This amazed me when I first started
working here. At the institution where I worked previously (a general
hospital) the CT techs insisted on pre-sedation of most peds patients. I
suspect that the non-sedation success here is multifactorial (fast spiral
scanner, good restraints, parent at patients side, and Barney songs
playing). For those patients who require sedation I have had excellent
results with iv Versed (0.1 mg/kg, then repeat doses 0.05 mg/kg, titrating
to effect). I have rarely had to add another agent.

As an add on question: what is your practice with regard to sending
relatively stable sedated patients to CT. Do you requi