Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  February 1998, Week 4

AUXLANG February 1998, Week 4

Re: Conditions for learning an IAL Was: Assorted Novial observations

"Bruce R. Gilson" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:27:28 -0800

Kjell Rehnstroem wrote: (English translations mine, attempting to verify that
I correctly interpret his Interlingua.]

>Il ha essite multo popular in le debatto concernente linguas artificial que
>proponentes de un certe lingua dice que "Si le Union Europee approba un
>lingua artificial pro uso" io va apprender lo.

[It has been very popular in the debate concerning artificial languages for
proponents of one particular language to say "If the European Union approves an
artificial language for its use" I will learn it.]

>Iste allegation io ha audite de proponentes de quasi omne linguas
>international. Al facie isto aspecta multo logic e acceptabile. De plus on
>pensa in iste cosa de plus on tamen comencia dubitar.

[This allegation I have heard from proponents of just about all international
languages. On its face this appears vert logical and acceptable. The more one
thinks about it, however, the more one begins to doubt it.]

>Bruce scribeva:
>>If I need to communicate with a body that adopted Ro, I suppose I'd have to
>>learn Ro. Or Volapuek, or Solresol. But I'm not faced with this situation
>>_now_. ... (texto delite).

>Clarmente le question es hypothetic e multo amusante. Bruce face tentativas
>evader le question. Le cosa interessante es que si il habeva un organo
>international que usarea le linguas mentionate de Bruce il es multo
>probabile que ille non saperea del linguas, si ille non haberea information
>in re illos!

[Clearly the question is hypothetical and very amusing. Bruce is making
attempts to evade the question. The interesting thing is that if there is
an international organ that will use the languages mentioned by Bruce, it is
very probable that he he will not know the languages, if he has no information
about them!]

Now the first part of this is true: the question is hypothetical, and I see it
as unlikely to happen in the near future. But I fail to see how I am evading
the question. I was asked by Paul Bartlett whether I would learn a language
formally adopted by an international body with which I needed to communicate.
(In my case, probably, the EU would not qualify, unless I get some new job that
changes my situation. As an American, I would scarcely have reason to deal with
officials of the EU.) And my response was, of course, if I _had_ to learn a
language that I thought was even less fit for an IAL than Esperanto, I'd learn
it, but I saw no near-term prospect of this situation arising. How is this an
evasion of the question?

I am not certain what Kjell means by the last sentence in the above paragraph.
If I am mistranslating his Interlingua, please tell me what is really meant.
Even if I translated it correctly, I really do not understand his point.

>Pote on formular le responsa assi: Io apprenderea un lingua international
>artificial, si io credeva que il se tracta de un option rational. Ergo mi
>election essera causate de un pluritate de considerationes subjective como
>le attraction del idea, del organisation, del personas presentante le
>lingua etc.

[Could one formulate the response thus: I will learn an international language,
if I believed that it represented (? a guess) a rational option. Therefore my
choice would be caused by a large number of subjective considerations such as
the attraction of the idea, of the organization, the persons presenting the
language, etc.]

Is this supposed to be Kjell's response, or Kjell's interpretation of my
response? I think what I said was something different. What I said was that,
at the present time, subjective considerations having mainly to do with my
own evaluation of the good and bad points of a language will govern my choice,
but, _if_ the situation ever came about that I needed to learn an IAL in order
to accomplish a desired goal, learn it I will.

>>... as some Interlinguans do, because if they write Interlingua,
>>Spanish and Italian and Catalan speakers will mostly find it nearly as
>>>easy to read as their own language, and it's easier for them to learn
>>than >Spanish or Italian or Catalan.)
>
>e scandinavos e centroeuropeos educate lege interlingua sin troppo
>difficultate, plus facilemente que esperanto si illos lo non studiava. Que
>espanioles, italianos e catalanos lo comprende es un extra bonus del lingua.

[and educated Scandinavians and central Europeans read Interlingua without
too much difficulty, more easily than Esperanto if they have not studied it.
That Spanish speakers, Italians, and Catalans understand it is an extra
bonus of the language.]

That "educated Scandinavians and central Europeans" find it easier to read
Interlingua than Esperanto without study may be true. I can't really evaluate
this. _My_ native language is English, and Interlingua is rather easy to read
because English has a large Romance component and Interlingua is 90+% Romance.
But while I'll readily admit that a speaker of a Romance language (less so for
French than the others, but even French to an extent) can read Interlingua at
sight and would, by contrast, take months of instruction to reach an equivalent
comprehension of Esperanto, I would be less certain about a Pole or a Czech or
a German. (I will let Kjell speak for Scandinavians, though even that brings
some surprise.)

                                Bruce R. Gilson
                                IRC: EZ-as-pi