Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  March 1998, Week 1

AUXLANG March 1998, Week 1

Re: James' Project to Reform Novial (fwd)

Marcos Franco <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:31:02 GMT

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 17:20:02 GMT, James Chandler
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> - I don't think the inclusion of the sound /z/ is a good idea at all.
>> It's difficult to pronounce for S-speakers, and possibly for many
>> other people. This is like esperanto H^. It's easy for me to
>> pronounce, but I wouldn't include it in any IAL simply cause there is
>> a lot of people who has trouble with it.
>
>As J's story Stranja Sonjo makes clear,=20

I remind you the author of that story (Jespersen) didn't take the
sound /z/ for his IAL.

we cannot hope to avoid all sound
>values that are problematic for one or more nations.  My system will be
>simpler than Ido and Esp phonetically, though I concede that [z] is one
>more thing for S speakers to learn.  We have to achieve a balance.
>Eliminating [z] causes more problems than it solves, in my view.  S =
speakers
>have the advantage in my scheme, on the other hand, that all their words
>which have [s] will predictably have [s] in my scheme as well.  This is =
>great improvement on Esp and Ido. =20

I'm taking that improvement, too, but I'm not taking a differentiated
sound for Z. I just take it orthographically, for read
recognizability. In this way, I feel, it doesn't bother anyone, except
illiterates, perhaps. Your way bothers too many people to be
acceptable.

BTW, I'm also taking C, under the same philosophy. The one expressed
by J in Plubonisat Novial.=20

>> >it is far too, too misleading to have its use as
>> >a prep. better to go with the N98 "at" or the
>> >Latin "ad" or even the Romance "a"...
>>
>> I simply go with the natural -r.
>
>All very well if you have no -u ending, but I can't have -ur.  I would =
have
>to take -uer or -uar, which is the first difficulty.  The second is the
>necessary stress shift in the infinitive, which is essential for Romance
>speakers, but difficult for everyone else. =20

Do you think it's difficult?=20

>Surely TU is less problematic
>overall?

Even Jespersen had problems using TU. Perhaps because "to" in English
is not only used for making infinitives. So what's the advantage of TU
when even anglophones have problems with it?

>> Probably. Many people prefer the shortest way: li doktoren filie,
>> better than li filie de li doktore. But the  latter is better
>> recognisable, and simpler. It seems more suitable for an IAL. However,
>> I'll miss the former, I feel.
>
>I never really saw the point in a genitive flexion.  And -n is not =
exactly
>an intern'l genitive ending.  It has the disadvantage all such flexions =
have,
>of ruining at-sight readability and producing an unfamiliar feel.  Which=
 is
>more readily comprehensible: LI DOKTOREN FILIE or LI FILIE DE LI DOKTORE=
 ?

Why do you ask? My response is above :-)

>> >Definitely a big plus, recognizability, logical use
>> >of existing forms in natlangs etc. Good point.
>>
>> I don't like va very much. In romance, it has the sense of "is going
>> to", rather than "will", which is hard to get off of mind. And it is
>> only used in the 3rd person of singular.=3D20
>> So I think the perfect form for this is "wil". Why not?
>
>I couldn't have WIL because W is a rare letter,=20

Why not rendering it into "unrare letter"? I don't find it difficult
to pronounce, and it's widely known by means of English.

but I did think about VIL.
>Trouble is, VIL is terribly confusing for D speakers.  I am aware that =
VA
>is used for near futures in F S, but is our extension to all futures =
really
>so terrible?  I suppose only a Romance speaker can answer this, but I =
would
>think not.

Well, you can get the answer to that question yourself. Just think of
a Novial which used "es going (tu)" (or something similar) for every
future tense.

>> >Nope, not very good as I mentioned above, since little
>> >is gained and much lost. Rather the -u helps in derivative
>> >formations... ritu>>ritual, spiritu>>spiritual, and
>> >situ>>situatione, punktu>>punktuatione etc.
>>
>> I would like to know whether James is going to add -e or replacing -u
>> by -e in those words.=3D20
>
>Add -e to -u, not replace -u with -e.

Ok. I feel I'll do the same.

>> Well, -eso is economic and logical, and even nearly naturalistic.
>> -itate is just naturalistic in more words than -eso. It's a difficult
>> choice.
>
>In a schematic language I would take the shorter -ESO or -ESE.  But in
>the present scheme, -ITATE is certainly better.

I'll have to think about this further.

>> >use this feature, I doubt it does exist to a great extent
>> >in any of these langs.
>>
>> I agree with Jay here. I wouldn't take that anglicism.
>
>It's not an anglicism.  English often uses the present for future =
action,
>but not for past, AFAIK.

Well, then I wouldn't take that... thing.

>> Sorry, this kind of modifications are not justified in a Novialide, in
>> my humble opinion.=3D20
>
>I just think that these sbs in -BLITATE may be jarringly unnatural.  In
>certain areas of engineering and mathematics, there are a lot of words
>ending in -bility: controlability, reliability, maintainability,
>stabilizability ... ...  I can't those imagine people being happy with
>-BLITATE.  Perhaps the -I- will be more of a technical or scientific
>feature.

But I feel that if you take this change, you should take a lot of
similar changes, on things that are not fairly naturalistic in Novial.
That's the way of Interlingua.

>> I think the point is to decide between -t or not -t. I don't see any
>> reason for optionallity at this point.
>
>I can't take -t- compulsorily, because we end up with forms like =
BAKATERE,
>which are not acceptable.

I think that's better than irregularity. To -t or not to -t, James.
That is the question.

>> Well, you have just lost word order freedom. I doubt it's a reason for
>> saying hurrah. Anyway, -m didn't bother very much and pemitted (if one
>> wanted) begin the sentences with object. Now you can't.
>> Or you can say it is unambiguity which has been lost. But I'm afraid
>> this is even worst.
>
>I really think this is all just Esperantist claptrap and mythology.  =
Espists
>will tell you that an acc flexion is indispensible, and the Delegation
>didn't have the courage to abolish it completely, lest they upset the

I would replace "courage" with "temerity" in your sentence.

>Espists.  J made a bold attempt to abolish it, and I am going to be even
>bolder.  As Bodmer and Hogben say, your average Chinaman lives, eats, =
sleeps
>and dies without ever having need of all these flexions.  Let us make =
this
>final decisive break from all the Esperanto baggage.

I know many natlangs work without accusative ending. But they usually
have another ways to express accusativity. I don't think an accusative
marker for cases of inversion bothers anyone. It just simply permits
to change word order if one feels the neccesity of it. I like that
flexibility, tho the standard order will go on being SVO.

>> Well, I have taken "tis" for "dis". But I think ist- is also
>> acceptable.
>
>Where does TIS- come from?

=46rom same as dis-.

>> That could be the rule James needs: double vowels are rendered into
>> one, when these come from derivation.
>
>This cannot be applied universally. =20

Not?

And eliminating letters hides the
>original forms of the roots in the derivation.  If people see SIENSISTE,
>they will think the root is SIENS-, but it is actually SIENSI-.

Well, I don't think that's a big problem, but perhaps you are right.

>> >Why not just drop it down to -im and be done with
>> >the exceptions to the adv. endings???
>>
>> Yes, I think -man can be replaced by -im.
>
>I did think that, but now I'm not so sure.  I am tempted to let usage
>decide between -M and -MANER.

Ok, go on. I don't think you are making with this a big problem.

>> I think free stress is totally unacceptable. An IAL is intended to be
>> speakable, and uniformly speakable, indeed.=3D20
>
>I am in complete agreement with Marcos on this point.  Interlinguaists =
tend
>to underplay the importance of stress, perhaps because I-a has no clear
>stress rules, and so they are not conditioned to thinking about it.

Personally, I feel uncomfortable reading a language which I don't know
how to pronounce correctly. Perhaps because I kind of read with
"ears".

>I'm hesitant about allowing productive use of this suffix.  I would like
>to use it to bring new words into the language, like KOMPUTATORE.

Why not allowing productive use?

>> Are you going to use -(t)ore as a indicator of profession suffix
>> (e.g., traduktore, redaktore, etc). If so, you have a conflict here.
>
>No.

I think i'm going to adopt it. It's far more frequent than -iste with
this meaning, as J recognized on the 30s.

>> Well, hope you go on James. We could start talking about lexike
>> changes, but I suppose you're not still on that stage. And we have
>> enough by now with grammar, haven't we? :-)
>
>Quite enough.  But watch out for the A words, coming soon.
>And thanks to Marcos for his comments.

Not at all. Don't forget your project is a help in developing mine :-)

Saludos,
Marcos