Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  March 1998, Week 1

AUXLANG March 1998, Week 1

Re: James' Project to Reform Novial (fwd)

James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Mar 1998 20:35:41 GMT

Ray Brown skripted:

> >I concede that it is unfortunate that TU, modelled on E to and D zu,
> >happens to clash with this Romance familiar 2nd pers pron, but we must
> >remember that TU will not be used in any other way in my system, not as
> >a pronoun of any kind.  Is this really any worse than the later N use of
> >TU for an abstract demons pron?
>
> Probably not.  Indeed, in view of the use of 'tu', 'te' and, in some, 'ti'
> as familiar 2nd singular pronouns in all the Romancelangs, I really am
> surprised that none of the 'revivers' has questioned Jespersen's TI, TE
> etc. =3D 'that'  ('ta' is also French for 'your'!).  His word has no source
> in the GR langs, being a pure Slavism.  I have no problem with this, but in
> view of the targeting of the GR groups, I find it very surprising that NLG
> hasn't questioned these forms.

T- does orthographically resemble E that, those, there etc.  I can't think
of anything better than T- here.  I think we need a one consonant stem for
the general demons. pronouns.  One might think of going to F ce, cet,
cette etc., but then we would have SI, SE, SO, SA, SUM, two of which are
needed elsewhere, and one of which is very close to SUME.

> In any case, I do agree with Jay that TU is not a good choice for the
> infinitive both for the reason he gives and because it adds an unnecessary
> complication: one will have to give rules as to when the infinitive is to
> be unmarked and when to mark it with TU (NLG has yet to do this with its
> AT).

I don't see the necessity to give hard and fast rules, any more than we
would have to give them for an -(e)r ending.  J gives some guidelines, but
I don't see how it hurts to allow freedom here.  Presumably, people won't
use the extra TU if they do not feel the need.

> >Anyhow, I can't consider A or AD, as they
> >are already taken, and AT is certainly inferior to TU, phonetically and in
> >terms of internationality.  So on the whole I think this use of TU is the
> >best, and although there will be a difficulty for Romance speakers, I
> >don't think it is at all insurmountable.  The only alternative would be
> >to go to -(e)r for an inf marker, but that is surely more fiddly in a
> >number of ways than TU.
>
> IMHO it -(e)r will make the whole thing both simpler & neater.

It will certainly not do that.  It *will* confer two important advantages
upon Romance speakers, but will do so at the expense of much increased
difficulty for everyone else.

> >Yes, indeed.  A very sensible later decision.
>
> I heartily agree!

That's good.

> NOR and VUR certainly have no natlang base.  Also I think one should avoid
> adding irregularity, i.e. possessive are formed from singular pronouns with
> -N but plural with -I.

This irregularity is justified if we feel the -EN ending is too heavy on
plural possessives.  Anyway, I am proposing -I optionally: if -N stays
for the singulars, -EN will still be permitted for the plurals.

> >You know I approve of NOS.  But as I say, NOR, VUR are arbitrary.  And
> >the final -R is hard to pronounce for some, as always.
>
> I agree with Jay on both accounts.

Didn't I say this??  I think you mean you agree with *me* on both accounts.

> >I can't use -i for the singulars, because it is not possible after a and
> >o: we would have LOI, LAI, which are not acceptable.
>
> Why are are LOI and LAI unacceptable?  They're easy enough to say.

Are they?  They naturally form diphthongs in a way that E+I and U+I don't
seem to.  I can't see the O or A and I being kept apart in LOI, LAI, which
means they become monosyllabic, which is not what I want.  Ido MEA, VUA
etc. work precisely because the -A does not merge with the preceding vowel,
and so these words are disyllabic, with the stress in E or U.

> NOSI and VUSI would suggest Portuguse 'nosso', 'vosso'.

Yes.  I think -I works well with the plurals.

> > Plus I need to keep
> >-n for certain derivations from sbs in -o/a.
>
> Er - doesn't this mean that the genitive -n- is being retained??

Well, not really.  I need a consonant to insert in the rare cases in which
a derivative needs to be formed from a sb in -o or -a (m/f).  J used his
genitive -n- for this, so I thought I'd keep that.  Although I don't see
how this usage is exactly a genitive one.

> >I don't think E twenty can be adduced in support (!), but I'm glad you
> >like this change.  I think -ant must be the "prototypic" form, which would
> >account for its appearance in I-a.  But -enti is certainly better, as F
> >doesn't even have the same sound in its tens, so phonetically -anti is
> >only supported by I.
>
> Personally I think -anti is better & the French sound is /a~t/, i.e. it is
> /a/ not /e/, only the vowel is nasalized.  It's the /n/ that disappears in
> =46rench!

I'm not so sure.  Isn't F -ante pronounced more with "o" than "a" ?

> But to me both -enti and -anti look like Novial present pariciples!  One
> Romance lang, Romanian, has abandoned this and uses analytical forms, e.g.
> dou@zeci =3D 20     [@ represents a-breve]
> treizeci =3D 30
> patruzeci =3D 40
> etc.
>
> ....where 'zeci' is the plural of 'zece' (<-- Latin: decem /deke/) =3D 10.

Why do you think J abandoned the Esp dudek etc. at all?
Both -anti and -enti could be participles, but they are not.  It is very
unlikely to cause confusion, because the suffixes are used on entirely
different sets of words.

> If you are going to have (fairly) strict PoS and -e is the ending for
> nouns, then 'spiritue', 'faktue' can't be avoided.

Not that they can't be avoided, more that there is no real reason to avoid
them.  There is nothing lost by using the regular sb ending on these sbs.

> >> The use of a verb form as a noun is certainly not
> >> alien to the source langs, and the infinitive forms
> >> are in these languages at times used as a form
> At 18:33 28/2/98, James Chandler wrote:
> >> of substantive/noun form. I don't like the use of
> >> the -o if there is already a rule to have all substantives
> >> end in -e, except optionally when these end in -um.
>
> I agree - if one is to have PoS then either nouns end in -e or they don't.

Why?  Surely it is better for 95% of sbs to take the regular -e than 90%,
even if we can't use it on 100%.

> >There is certainly justification from natlangs for this use of infinitives
> >or ground forms as sbs.  But in a way I thought this a radical step, and
> >I would like to let usage decide, so I am leaving -o in place for now but
>
> I find nothing 'radical' about using the infinitive this way.  The
> Romancelangs have been doing it for centuries.  On the other hand I see no
> justification for the now irregular -o (nor the clumsy NLG -nse).

Why is -o now irregular?  Ido uses its regular sb ending universally to
derive vbsbs.  So I think it is really a big leap to have no special ending
at all.  Actually, I thought I would get protests at suggesting dropping
-o at all.  I might point out, by the way, that N98 cannot evolve in this
way, because it would have to add -es onto its already heavy -r with
vbsbs.  Look at J's examples in Pri Reformes, and imagine them with the -r
as well.

> >I think that conserving natural stress is one of the important ways in
> >which we avoid going against natural speech habits.  Imagine you are an
> >Italian.  You see AUDIBILI and remark how close it is to your own form.
> >Then you pronounce it naturally and get it wrong.  How does that make
> >things easier for you?  I would like to carry on J's tradition of
> >preserving the natural stress wherever possible.
>
> Yet Jespersen has no qualms about abandonning the common natlang stress if
> necessary; thus in AIL we read:
> "There are certain words in which the stress demanded by our rule may seem
> unnatural to those familiar with the language from which they have been
> taken, but it should be remembered that form=FAle, kons=FAle, gond=F3le, fas=
> =EDli,
> krit=EDko, tekn=EDke, Afr=EDka, Amer=EDka, splend=EDdi, etc., stressed in=
>  the way
> indicated here are not more strange than the corresponding accentuation in
> =46rench ...."
> ....which is exactly what Jay is saying.

But here there *is* justification from a major language for these stresses:
from French.  There is *no* justification for stressing the -I- in words
ending -BILI, when the only lang which has the -I-, It., stresses the
preceding syllable.

> >> Ok, but to have it as an optional feature is not good
> >> though... I say this because the optionality of it
> >> simply means that people are going to be unsure
> >> as to which form to use
>
> ..and there'll still be confusion if it's compulsory.  How will you say "It
> is me?"
> Will you follow French "c'est moi" or Spanish "soy yo"?

I won't make YO compulsory.  If in doubt, ME would always be correct.

> To those of us lucky to be familiar with Celticlangs, there's nothing
> "unnatural" about 'me' as subject.  But why introduce this _one_
> irregularity?  Esperanto manages quite well with 'mi' as subject form and
> that conIAL does enjoy some success.

I am *not* basing any part of my language on anything that might have had
some small amount of usage in Esp.  But actually, I think Celtic langs are
not really that relevant: my concern is that speakers of DEFISP find ME
very unnatural as subject.  It is deeply rooted as an object pronoun.

> >> Hurrah! I'm definitely happy about this deletion
> >> since it would only open up the language up to
> >> criticism and ridicule as the -n in Esperanto
> >> has been.
>
> So I should think.  I get the strong impression that it was dropped pretty
> early on in Novial in any case.  Drop _all_ cases, including the genitive.

I'm glad we all agree on this.

> >I am particularly interested in the experiences of I-aists, as you are
> >the only people whose language doesn't have an acc flexion.
>
> Most of the GR natlangs don't, at least for substantives.

Quite so.

> >Is FICAR a bona fide P vb ?  It's news to me.  I don't know what you mean
> >by "I see FIKA as a compound vb".  A compound of what?  To me it's a suffix
> >gone mad.
>
> 'ficar' is a bona fide Portuguese verb.
> Nor is 'fika' a suffix in Novial Lexike, it is a full verb.

By that token, all those Esp suffixes are full verbs.  I am interested in
the origin of FIKA, and the idea J might have got it partly from P is
certainly news to me.

> I don't see any problem with it - but I see lots with 'renda'.

What problems with RENDA?  It's fine for E F speakers, at least.

> >> This is an ugly, ugly look to the words this double i
> >> business...
>
> Ych y fi!
> There just has to be a better system.

Not that I can think of.

> >Stress is very important in our planned language, as Jespersen always
> >maintained.  We must not arbitrarily violate people's speech habits.
> >Your example gives an exceptional case in Sp., as I believe stress is
> >pretty constant across the Romance languages.
>
> It certainly is *not* exceptional in Spanish; I could lots of similar
> examples.  Stress is not constant in the Romance langs; French is
> particularly eccentric in this respect.  Jay makes very valid points above.

Right, so F stress is sometimes nearer the end of the word than other
Romance langs.  I think that is justification enough for stress being
nearer the end in N words, following a very few general rules.

James Chandler