Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  March 1998, Week 1

AUXLANG March 1998, Week 1

Re: James' Project to Reform Novial (fwd)

James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Mar 1998 17:20:02 GMT

Marcos skripted:

> >>(3) In order that it be accessible to a wide audience, that it
> >>be as comprehensible as possible at first sight,
> >
> >Yea, yea! Way to go Jamie boy!
>
> Here it seems there is a difference between James' project and mine.
> I'm rather guided by the philosophy of comprehensible as possible at
> first sight after 1 lesson. I think first sight readability is simply
> impossible, but probably readability after one lesson is an achiavable
> aim, if you make your IAL under the correct lines. But if this were my
> over-all aim, then Eurolang would be my language, isn't it? Well, in
> fact, there are another important aims that I have in mind: 1. It must
> be regular and consistent, for to be easy to use actively, and to have
> an internal congruence, which I don't find in Eurolang, which is very
> writing-oriented. 2. It mustn't be difficult for non-occidentals. I
> think schematicism is very important for this point.

Though Marcos is here responding to the isolated point excerpted by Jay above,
it should be clear from the context of the rest of the page from which it is
taken that I mean this particular consideration to be tempered by others.
Taken on its own, the above sentence does not reflect my overall view; if it
did, I would be discarding a lot more schematism than I have done.

> - I don't think the inclusion of the sound /z/ is a good idea at all.
> It's difficult to pronounce for S-speakers, and possibly for many
> other people. This is like esperanto H^. It's easy for me to
> pronounce, but I wouldn't include it in any IAL simply cause there is
> a lot of people who has trouble with it.

As J's story Stranja Sonjo makes clear, we cannot hope to avoid all sound
values that are problematic for one or more nations.  My system will be
simpler than Ido and Esp phonetically, though I concede that [z] is one
more thing for S speakers to learn.  We have to achieve a balance.
Eliminating [z] causes more problems than it solves, in my view.  S speakers
have the advantage in my scheme, on the other hand, that all their words
which have [s] will predictably have [s] in my scheme as well.  This is a
great improvement on Esp and Ido.  Each group has to make sacrifices, but
on the whole we achieve the highest level of recognizability, familiarity
and phonetic facility for the greatest number.

> Well, probably you're right. But certain non-compulsory features may
> be desirable to let practice choose the better one.

In a few cases, that is precisely my thinking.

> >it is far too, too misleading to have its use as
> >a prep. better to go with the N98 "at" or the
> >Latin "ad" or even the Romance "a"...
>
> I simply go with the natural -r.

All very well if you have no -u ending, but I can't have -ur.  I would have
to take -uer or -uar, which is the first difficulty.  The second is the
necessary stress shift in the infinitive, which is essential for Romance
speakers, but difficult for everyone else.  Surely TU is less problematic
overall?

> Probably. Many people prefer the shortest way: li doktoren filie,
> better than li filie de li doktore. But the  latter is better
> recognisable, and simpler. It seems more suitable for an IAL. However,
> I'll miss the former, I feel.

I never really saw the point in a genitive flexion.  And -n is not exactly
an intern'l genitive ending.  It has the disadvantage all such flexions have,
of ruining at-sight readability and producing an unfamiliar feel.  Which is
more readily comprehensible: LI DOKTOREN FILIE or LI FILIE DE LI DOKTORE ?
BONA PATRO or BONAJN PATROJN ?  I will be glad to see the back of all this
more or less arbitrary flexional baggage.

> >Definitely a big plus, recognizability, logical use
> >of existing forms in natlangs etc. Good point.
>
> I don't like va very much. In romance, it has the sense of "is going
> to", rather than "will", which is hard to get off of mind. And it is
> only used in the 3rd person of singular.=20
> So I think the perfect form for this is "wil". Why not?

I couldn't have WIL because W is a rare letter, but I did think about VIL.
Trouble is, VIL is terribly confusing for D speakers.  I am aware that VA
is used for near futures in F S, but is our extension to all futures really
so terrible?  I suppose only a Romance speaker can answer this, but I would
think not.

> >Nope, not very good as I mentioned above, since little
> >is gained and much lost. Rather the -u helps in derivative
> >formations... ritu>>ritual, spiritu>>spiritual, and
> >situ>>situatione, punktu>>punktuatione etc.
>
> I would like to know whether James is going to add -e or replacing -u
> by -e in those words.=20

Add -e to -u, not replace -u with -e.

> >>2.10. ...nos will replace nus...
> >
> >Yes, very natlang supported and avoids clashing
> >with "vus".
>
> I'll also take this change.

Great!

> Well, -eso is economic and logical, and even nearly naturalistic.
> -itate is just naturalistic in more words than -eso. It's a difficult
> choice.

In a schematic language I would take the shorter -ESO or -ESE.  But in
the present scheme, -ITATE is certainly better.

> >>2.13. ...permissible to omit the
> >>future helper when there is some other indication of
> >>future time, for instance an adverb like "tomorrow".
> >>It is proposed that this rule be extended to past time,
> >>so that for example -(e)d is not compulsory when
> >>yer =3D yesterday is used.
> >
> >Very Peanistic, but it doesn't really have a regular
> >established use in the source natlangs, I think only
> >English plays with the idea on a few vocab words
> >that can be used in the past or present tense with
> >the same spelling but this is definitely not a standard
> >feature of English, is there any source lang that does
> >use this feature, I doubt it does exist to a great extent
> >in any of these langs.
>
> I agree with Jay here. I wouldn't take that anglicism.

It's not an anglicism.  English often uses the present for future action,
but not for past, AFAIK.

> >>2.16. ...allow optional modification of the
> >>final combination -blitate to the more natural -bilitate
> >>(-bli cannot be changed to -bili because the stress
> >>would become completely false, even for speakers
> >>of I which has the latter combination).
>
> Sorry, this kind of modifications are not justified in a Novialide, in
> my humble opinion.=20

I just think that these sbs in -BLITATE may be jarringly unnatural.  In
certain areas of engineering and mathematics, there are a lot of words
ending in -bility: controlability, reliability, maintainability,
stabilizability ... ...  I can't those imagine people being happy with
-BLITATE.  Perhaps the -I- will be more of a technical or scientific
feature.

> >>2.21. Proposed: to match usage in the Romance
> >>languages, the suffix -ere may optionally be a t-suffix:
> >>baka, bakere; but kolabora, kolaboratere; distribu,
> >>distributere.
> >
> >Not quite... the fact that there is an option again looks
> >to me like there is exceptions to the rule and to have
> >irregularities sounds to me like if you want exceptions
> >of this sort to make things natural sounding... well,
> >why not just stick with Interlingua which does follow
> >natural use quite perfectly as far as I'm concerned.
>
> I think the point is to decide between -t or not -t. I don't see any
> reason for optionallity at this point.

I can't take -t- compulsorily, because we end up with forms like BAKATERE,
which are not acceptable.

> >>2.22. ...abolish the accusative flexion -m....
> >
> >Hurrah! I'm definitely happy about this deletion
> >since it would only open up the language up to
> >criticism and ridicule as the -n in Esperanto
> >has been.
>
> Well, you have just lost word order freedom. I doubt it's a reason for
> saying hurrah. Anyway, -m didn't bother very much and pemitted (if one
> wanted) begin the sentences with object. Now you can't.
> Or you can say it is unambiguity which has been lost. But I'm afraid
> this is even worst.

I really think this is all just Esperantist claptrap and mythology.  Espists
will tell you that an acc flexion is indispensible, and the Delegation
didn't have the courage to abolish it completely, lest they upset the
Espists.  J made a bold attempt to abolish it, and I am going to be even
bolder.  As Bodmer and Hogben say, your average Chinaman lives, eats, sleeps
and dies without ever having need of all these flexions.  Let us make this
final decisive break from all the Esperanto baggage.

> >>2.23. ...cumbersome form dis- (=3D this)
> >be replaced by the form ist-, from P and close to S P est-.
> >
> >Yeah, all right... I follow you so far on this one!
>
> Well, I have taken "tis" for "dis". But I think ist- is also
> acceptable.

Where does TIS- come from?

> >This is an ugly, ugly look to the words this double i
> >business...
> >It doesn't look good in Latin and it definitely doesn't look
> >good
> >in Novial. If there are to be no double consonants then don't
> >have double vowels. I think it is an obstacle to have this
>
> That could be the rule James needs: double vowels are rendered into
> one, when these come from derivation.

This cannot be applied universally.  And eliminating letters hides the
original forms of the roots in the derivation.  If people see SIENSISTE,
they will think the root is SIENS-, but it is actually SIENSI-.

> >>2.29. ...that the adv ending -man become
> >>-maner, for greater immediate recognizability.
> >
> >Why not just drop it down to -im and be done with
> >the exceptions to the adv. endings???
>
> Yes, I think -man can be replaced by -im.

I did think that, but now I'm not so sure.  I am tempted to let usage
decide between -M and -MANER.

> >good, please note how many source langs have
> >different schemes for the word "telephone"...
> >Eng "TElephone", Sp. "teLEfono", Fr. "telePHONe"
> >so either no problem with stree or big problem
> >that's with regularly stressed...
>
> I think free stress is totally unacceptable. An IAL is intended to be
> speakable, and uniformly speakable, indeed.=20

I am in complete agreement with Marcos on this point.  Interlinguaists tend
to underplay the importance of stress, perhaps because I-a has no clear
stress rules, and so they are not conditioned to thinking about it.

> >>2.31. ...-(t)ore become a semi-productive
> >>(or productive?)=20
>
> I suppose you refer to freedom of use. If so, the semi-productive
> option is nothing but a Interlinguaism, isn't it?=20

I'm hesitant about allowing productive use of this suffix.  I would like
to use it to bring new words into the language, like KOMPUTATORE.

> Are you going to use -(t)ore as a indicator of profession suffix
> (e.g., traduktore, redaktore, etc). If so, you have a conflict here.

No.

> Well, hope you go on James. We could start talking about lexike
> changes, but I suppose you're not still on that stage. And we have
> enough by now with grammar, haven't we? :-)

Quite enough.  But watch out for the A words, coming soon.
And thanks to Marcos for his comments.

James Chandler