Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  March 1998, Week 1

AUXLANG March 1998, Week 1

Re: James' Project to Reform Novial (fwd)

"Raymond A. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Mar 1998 18:14:27 GMT

At 18:33 28/2/98, James Chandler wrote:
>Jay Bowks skripted:

I'll not comment on the whole of James' reply to Jay, since I don't want to
get heavily involved in 'Novial reforms'.  I think my feelings on this are
well enough known.  But I'll just comment some points that I particularly
noticed:

[....]
>> >This means that the infinitive marker tu may
>> >be retained, and means a less fine distinction between various
>> >classes of sbs than in N30.
>>
>> This is far too much like a Romance second
>> person pronoun... I mean French, Spanish, Portuguese,
>> Italian, doesn't Roumanian also have it???

Yes it does - it's universal throughout the Romance speaking world.

>>So
>> it is far too, too misleading to have its use as
>> a prep. better to go with the N98 "at" or the
>> Latin "ad" or even the Romance "a"...
>
>I concede that it is unfortunate that TU, modelled on E to and D zu,
>happens to clash with this Romance familiar 2nd pers pron, but we must
>remember that TU will not be used in any other way in my system, not as
>a pronoun of any kind.  Is this really any worse than the later N use of
>TU for an abstract demons pron?

Probably not.  Indeed, in view of the use of 'tu', 'te' and, in some, 'ti'
as familiar 2nd singular pronouns in all the Romancelangs, I really am
surprised that none of the 'revivers' has questioned Jespersen's TI, TE
etc. =3D 'that'  ('ta' is also French for 'your'!).  His word has no source
in the GR langs, being a pure Slavism.  I have no problem with this, but in
view of the targeting of the GR groups, I find it very surprising that NLG
hasn't questioned these forms.

In any case, I do agree with Jay that TU is not a good choice for the
infinitive both for the reason he gives and because it adds an unnecessary
complication: one will have to give rules as to when the infinitive is to
be unmarked and when to mark it with TU (NLG has yet to do this with its
AT).

>Anyhow, I can't consider A or AD, as they
>are already taken, and AT is certainly inferior to TU, phonetically and in
>terms of internationality.  So on the whole I think this use of TU is the
>best, and although there will be a difficulty for Romance speakers, I
>don't think it is at all insurmountable.  The only alternative would be
>to go to -(e)r for an inf marker, but that is surely more fiddly in a
>number of ways than TU.

IMHO it -(e)r will make the whole thing both simpler & neater.

>> >2.2. ...genitive ending -(e)n will be abolished
>>
>> Excellent! Excellent! I have always felt this would
>> create as many complaints as the Esperanto use
>> of the -n for the accusative. This is indeed a good
>> improvement / simplification, James.

>Yes, indeed.  A very sensible later decision.

I heartily agree!

>> and now the pronouns, though...
>>
>> >But we keep men, vusen etc.
>>
>> For the pronouns it would be all right, specially
>> for the singular pronouns, however, for the plurals
>> I opt for -r... thus "nor, vur, lor" I feel this is justified
>> by the lingue jurie and it does not create unnatural
>> forms like "nosen, vusen, losen" which are indeed
>> quite "yuck". Think about this please James, will
>> you?
>
>Remember that LER, LOR, LAR are the only ones based on national languages,
>as NOR, VOR are just arbitrary modifications.

It's better, I think, in any case to regard these as possessive adjectives
& not as genitives at all.

NOR and VUR certainly have no natlang base.  Also I think one should avoid
adding irregularity, i.e. possessive are formed from singular pronouns with
-N but plural with -I.

>I think my -i is better as
>an alternative to -EN, as it is not a new element, and it is more easily
>pronounced, but my mind is still open on this question.
>
>> Here's what Jespersen said...
>>
>> (However "de +pron" sound all right to me and
>> which I would still maintain as viable ...though...
>> and not to be left out as possible forms... but...
>> he goes on...)

>> Not bad eh?

Not good either.

>You know I approve of NOS.  But as I say, NOR, VUR are arbitrary.  And
>the final -R is hard to pronounce for some, as always.

I agree with Jay on both accounts.

>> >2.3. ...vusen etc. are rather heavy, and so one idea is to
>> >allow the use of the adj -i: vusi alongside vusen etc.
>>
>> Hmmm. This is nice but if you will have the plurals with
>> -i why not the whole kit and kaboodle and throw in the
>> singular pronouns as well for the sake of consistency...???
>> like this: "mei, tui, loi", and "nosi, vusi, losi"...
>
>I can't use -i for the singulars, because it is not possible after a and
>o: we would have LOI, LAI, which are not acceptable.

Why are are LOI and LAI unacceptable?  They're easy enough to say.

NOSI and VUSI would suggest Portuguse 'nosso', 'vosso'.

> Plus I need to keep
>-n for certain derivations from sbs in -o/a.

Er - doesn't this mean that the genitive -n- is being retained??

[........]

>> >2.7. ...tens will be formed with -enti rather
>> >than -anti.
>>
>> Very good change, one that I hadn't much
>> objected too, but which I remember I did a double
>> take when I first encountered it in Intelingua as
>> -ante... It felt so much more logical to use -enti
>> as in Spanish since there is "venti-" and there's
>> English "twenty"... So, yup!
>
>I don't think E twenty can be adduced in support (!), but I'm glad you
>like this change.  I think -ant must be the "prototypic" form, which would
>account for its appearance in I-a.  But -enti is certainly better, as F
>doesn't even have the same sound in its tens, so phonetically -anti is
>only supported by I.

Personally I think -anti is better & the French sound is /a~t/, i.e. it is
/a/ not /e/, only the vowel is nasalized.  It's the /n/ that disappears in
=46rench!

But to me both -enti and -anti look like Novial present pariciples!  One
Romance lang, Romanian, has abandoned this and uses analytical forms, e.g.
dou@zeci =3D 20     [@ represents a-breve]
treizeci =3D 30
patruzeci =3D 40
etc.

....where 'zeci' is the plural of 'zece' (<-- Latin: decem /deke/) =3D 10.

[.....]
>> Nope, not very good as I mentioned above, since little
>> is gained and much lost. Rather the -u helps in derivative
>> formations... ritu>>ritual, spiritu>>spiritual, and
>> situ>>situatione, punktu>>punktuatione etc.
>
>VA didn't actually replace -u with -e, he added -e onto the -u.  This
>actually makes the derivation *more* logical, as then it follows the
>normal -e -> -al pattern of other sbs: spiritue, -ual; faktue, -ual etc.
>I think J was just afraid of too many sbs in -e, as he thought people
>would think it looked too much like Esp, which is something we can all
>understand him wanting to avoid; but I don't think his reasons were
>really very sound in this instance.

If you are going to have (fairly) strict PoS and -e is the ending for
nouns, then 'spiritue', 'faktue' can't be avoided.

[.....]

>I should amend this on the webpage actually.  In fact, the Ido rule is
>that NE should always directly precede the *word*to*be*negated*.  In
>most cases this will be the verb, but not always, so I need to make that
>clearer.  But I think the Ido rule is very sound indeed.

Exactly what the Romans were doing with 'non' 2000 and more ago!  :-)

[.....]

>> >2.14. ...in 1937, Jespersen dropped the
>> >ending -o for verbal sbs, saying that the ground form
>> >of the verb may be used instead (see Pri reformes
>> >in Novial). It is proposed to make this latter practice
>> >optional in the present project, so that either the form
>> >in -o or the ground form may be used when a vbsb
>> >is required.
>>
>> The use of a verb form as a noun is certainly not
>> alien to the source langs, and the infinitive forms
>> are in these languages at times used as a form
At 18:33 28/2/98, James Chandler wrote:
>> of substantive/noun form. I don't like the use of
>> the -o if there is already a rule to have all substantives
>> end in -e, except optionally when these end in -um.

I agree - if one is to have PoS then either nouns end in -e or they don't.

[....]

>There is certainly justification from natlangs for this use of infinitives
>or ground forms as sbs.  But in a way I thought this a radical step, and
>I would like to let usage decide, so I am leaving -o in place for now but

I find nothing 'radical' about using the infinitive this way.  The
Romancelangs have been doing it for centuries.  On the other hand I see no
justification for the now irregular -o (nor the clumsy NLG -nse).

[.....]

>> Of course "bilitate" is a lot better in my opinion, and
>> if the -i ending in adj.'s is optional this form "bili" would
>> actually be "bil" that way... so we'd get "audibil" which
>> is a lot closer to Eng. "audible" in sound than in looks.
>> "mobil" is certainly an improvement over anything like
>> "mobli" for Eng. "mobile".  The problem with the accent
>> is not a problem as I see it, since the accent needs must
>> follow the natural rhythm of the word, thus "AUdi" but
>> "audibilitAte", thus I see nothing wrong with "audib-i-l"
>> --I know it may take a little getting used to it but the
>> more natural form as used in derivatives warrants the
>> consistent use of that -i- I feel.
>
>I think that conserving natural stress is one of the important ways in
>which we avoid going against natural speech habits.  Imagine you are an
>Italian.  You see AUDIBILI and remark how close it is to your own form.
>Then you pronounce it naturally and get it wrong.  How does that make
>things easier for you?  I would like to carry on J's tradition of
>preserving the natural stress wherever possible.

Yet Jespersen has no qualms about abandonning the common natlang stress if
necessary; thus in AIL we read:
"There are certain words in which the stress demanded by our rule may seem
unnatural to those familiar with the language from which they have been
taken, but it should be remembered that form=FAle, kons=FAle, gond=F3le, fas=
=EDli,
krit=EDko, tekn=EDke, Afr=EDka, Amer=EDka, splend=EDdi, etc., stressed in=
 the way
indicated here are not more strange than the corresponding accentuation in
=46rench ...."
....which is exactly what Jay is saying.

>> >2.17. ...allow an optional nominative
>> >first person pronoun yo. The N28 first person
>> >pronoun me is the only one which is very unnatural
>> >as subject, and so those who feel uncomfortable
>> >with me may use yo from S I if they wish.
>>
>> Ok, but to have it as an optional feature is not good
>> though... I say this because the optionality of it
>> simply means that people are going to be unsure
>> as to which form to use

..and there'll still be confusion if it's compulsory.  How will you say "It
is me?"
Will you follow French "c'est moi" or Spanish "soy yo"?

You'll introduce all the problems of English _I_ into your lang.  Only this
afternoon my neighbor was talking about a fence "between her and I".  Yuck!

To those of us lucky to be familiar with Celticlangs, there's nothing
"unnatural" about 'me' as subject.  But why introduce this _one_
irregularity?  Esperanto manages quite well with 'mi' as subject form and
that conIAL does enjoy some success.

[.....]
>> >2.22. ...abolish the accusative flexion -m....
>>
>> Hurrah! I'm definitely happy about this deletion
>> since it would only open up the language up to
>> criticism and ridicule as the -n in Esperanto
>> has been.

So I should think.  I get the strong impression that it was dropped pretty
early on in Novial in any case.  Drop _all_ cases, including the genitive.

>I am particularly interested in the experiences of I-aists, as you are
>the only people whose language doesn't have an acc flexion.

Most of the GR natlangs don't, at least for substantives.

[....]
>> >2.27. ...stand-alone word fika is intolerably
>> >unnatural, and is an exception to the rule that suffixes
>> >may not be used as independent words. It is therefore
>> >replaced by a new verb renda except before infinitives.
>> >Before infinitives fika may easily be replaced by kausa
>> >or forsa.
>>
>> I don't like this much since "ficar" em potugue^s e muito
>> bom e natural. (...very good portuguese this seems!)
>> On the other hand, "renda" sounds like "surrender" in
>> Spanish and Portuguese... Either get a new form or
>> keep "fika" where it is... I frankly don't see it as a
>> suffix but more of a compound word. Compound
>> words will still be available in Novial, I would think
>> and this would undoubtedly fit nicely with those...
>> I hope you seriously take another look at this one.
>
>Is FICAR a bona fide P vb ?  It's news to me.  I don't know what you mean
>by "I see FIKA as a compound vb".  A compound of what?  To me it's a suffix
>gone mad.

'ficar' is a bona fide Portuguese verb.
Nor is 'fika' a suffix in Novial Lexike, it is a full verb.

I don't see any problem with it - but I see lots with 'renda'.

 Best to carry the Ido rule through: Lasciate ogni Esperanto
>ch'entrate!
>
>> >2.28. ...in N28/30, an i was sometimes omitted
>> >in derivatives, e.g. sientie, sientiste; harmonie, harmonisa.
>> >This practice will not be permitted in the present project,
>> >as no clear rule can be given for it. We therefore say
>> >siensiiste, harmoniiza (though for the latter an adj harmoni
>> >could perhaps be introduced, as possibly in other cases).
>>
>> This is an ugly, ugly look to the words this double i
>> business...

Ych y fi!
There just has to be a better system.

[.....]

>> This is another exception that I take exception to...
>> I feel it is an irregularity that doesn't have a true
>> excuse and is begging to have to be explained
>> and learned unnaturally. Either have accent not
>> be a problem, such as can happen with derivatives
>> in "bil/bli" and others, or have a standard system
>> of accentuation without exceptions like Esperanto.
>> However, not putting emphasis on the accent is
>> good, please note how many source langs have
>> different schemes for the word "telephone"...
>> Eng "TElephone", Sp. "teLEfono", Fr. "telePHONe"
>> so either no problem with stree or big problem
>> that's with regularly stressed...
>
>Stress is very important in our planned language, as Jespersen always
>maintained.  We must not arbitrarily violate people's speech habits.
>Your example gives an exceptional case in Sp., as I believe stress is
>pretty constant across the Romance languages.

It certainly is *not* exceptional in Spanish; I could lots of similar
examples.  Stress is not constant in the Romance langs; French is
particularly eccentric in this respect.  Jay makes very valid points above.

Ray.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Written in Net English
Humor not necessarily marked
No intentional misreprsentation of another's statements

Gerasko d'aei polla didaskomenos (SOLON)
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D