AUXLANG April 1998, Week 3

another translation Re: Cosmoglotta

Jay Bowks <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 15 Apr 1998 22:49:39 -0400

Fro: Robert J. Petry <[log in to unmask]>
At: Multiple recipients of list AUXLANG
Dat: Wednesday, April 15, 1998 3:25 AM
Subjekt: Re: translation Re: Cosmoglotta

Well, I'll try to meet the challenge, Bob, here's a quickly
hacked
translation of the text. This is getting fun, Bob, keep
posting!!!

[PLEASE NOTE: TRANSLATION WITHIN TEXT QUOTED BELOW]

>More Interlingua vs Interlingue[Occidental]
>
>This is more material from "Nor Relationes con Interlingua, Un
>clarification necessi."
>
>Jay just translated A. Martinet's letter which I posted. The
>following material begins immediately after the letter. I will
post
>bits and pieces at a time since it is about 3-4 pages long.
And, if
>it continues to be interesting I will post the whole thing, &
>hopefully, Jay will translate for us.
>
>"reproductente li textu de ti lettre, noi defere a un desir
formal

reproducing the letter's text, we defer to the author's
expressed desire.

>expresset de su autor. Por comprender su singification, it va
totvez

In order to understand its meaning, it will be necessary every
time, to give

>esser necessi dar quel explicationes pri li genese del afere.

explanations about the start of the affair.

>In Januar 1957, Sr. Ric Berger publicat in li revue CURRERO DEL

In January 1957, Mr. Ric Berger published in the magazine
CURRERO DEL

>MUNDO (organ oficial del ILa-istes) un appell al
occidentalistes,

MUNDO (official organ of the Interlingua-ists) an appeal
to the Occidental-ists

>invitante des transir in bloc a ILa. Ti proclamation culmina in
li

inviting them to cross over as a group to Interlingua. This
proclamation
reaches its climax in the

>afirmation que ILa es superior al lingue de De Wahl e que it

affirmation that Interlingua is superior to the language
of De Wahl and that it

>representa li solution definitiv del problema mundlingual. Sr.

represents the definitive solution of the world-language
problem.

>Berger efortia se adplu demonstrar que li pretendet
divergenties de

Mr. Berger makes an effort to show that the pretended
divergences?/differences of

>opinion inter Prof. Martinet e Dr. Gode es un pur legende, que

opinion between Prof. Martinet and D. Gode are simply a legend,
that

>sempre existet e ancor hodie existe inter ili un absolut

there always existed and still today exists between them an
absolute

>concordantie de opinion concernent li forme del LI, que li
pretendet

agreement of opinion concerning the form of the Inter-language,
that

><<derivation>> de Dr. Gode es purmen imaginari e que in realita
li

pretended derivation(?) of Dr. Gode is purely imaginary and that
in reality the

>lingue del <<Interlingua-English Dictionary>> de Dr. Gode es,
except

language of the IED of Dr. Gode is, except in small irrelevant
details,

>litt detallies irrelevant, identic a ti elaborat sub li
direction de

identical to the one worked on under the direction of  Prof.
Martinet

>Prof. Martinet.
>Quam pruva por su alegationes Sr. Berger basa se sur quele
textus

What proof for his allegations Mr. Berger uses, he bases it on
some
texts

>datant del epoca 1946-48 queles monstra secun il, li perfect

dating to the 1946-48 era, which show, according to him, the
perfect

>identita del <<lingue Martinet>> con li hodial <<lingue Gode>>.

identity of the Martinet-language with that of todays'
Gode-language.

>Li debilita de ti demonstration salta al ocules de quicunc es

The weakness of this demonstration is obviously apparent to
whomever

>alquantmen familiari con li conditiones a queles es subordinat
li

is somewhat familiarly acquainted with the conditions to which

>resercha scientic. Haustente li exemples ex un fase
arbitrarimen

scientific research is subject.  Drawing the examples from an

>selectet del epoca u li lingue de IALA esset ancor in plen

arbitrarily selected era where the language of IALA was still in
full

>gestation, on posse pruvar quo on vole, ma in verita on pruva
nequo.

development, one can prove whatever one wishes, but in reality
one
proves nothing.

>It es just pro ti rason que li representantes actual de nor
movement

It is just for this reason that the current representatives of
our movement

>gardat se cuidosimen, durant li aludet epoca intervenir
publicmen in

carefully avoided publicly intervening, during the alluded era,
in

>li discussion. Ili savet que un tal intervention, in li stadie

the discussion. They knew that such an intervention, in this

>preparatori, vell solmen har genat li perduction del labor

preparatory stage, would only have (hindered?) the linguistic
work

>linguistic de IALA, e pro to ili sagimen reservat lor
judicament

of IALA, and because of this they wisely kept their definitive
judgement

>definitiv por li tempor quande li resultate final del labores
vat

for the time when the final result of their labors would be
presented to

>esser presentat al publico. Sr. Berger ne solmen sembla esser
li sol

the public. Mr. Berger doesn't only seem to be the only one

>quel monstra se impermeabil a ti evidentie, ma il mem ea til
afirmar

who shows himself to be impermeable to this evidence, but

>que li resultates del labor de IALA, tal identic con li
personal

he himself  even (dares?) affirm that the results of IALA's work
are

>conceptiones de Prof. Martinet. Benque il ha self esset membre
del

identical with the personal conceptions of Prof. Martinet.
Although he

>Academie Interimari de Occidental e dunc vel dever saver plu
bon

himself was a member of the (Interim, trans-oceanic???) Academy
of
Occidental and thus would know better

>quam quicunc quant mult li resultate de un labor colectiv posse

to whatever extent the result of a collective labor would

>diverger, in li un o altri punctu, del conviction personal del
un o

diverge, in this or that point, from the personal conviction of
one or

>altri membre del gremie, il persiste in rendir Prof. Martinet

another member of the (group/society/union/guild), he persists
in

>personalmen responsabil pri li resultates provisori de omni
fases de

making Prof. Martinet personally responsible for the provisional
results
of all phases of the

>labor perductet sub su direction.  Or, li sol colaborator de
IALA

work produced under his direction. Or, the only collaborator of
IALA

>quel havet li unic chance, posser imposir su propri
conceptiones e

who had the only chance to be able to impose his own conceptions
and

>far prevaler les contra omni opositores, es Dr. Alexander Gode.
Li

make them prevail agains all opposers, is Dr. Alexander Gode.
The

>lingue ILa, tal qual it presenta se al publico, ne es li
resultate

language Interlingua, such as is  presented to the public, isn't
the result

>del labor colectiv del stab de IALA, ma li creation personal de
Dr.

of the collective work of the IALA staff, but the personal
creation of Dr. Gode,

>Gode, li materialisation de su propri filosofie lingual. Quam
autor

the embodiment of his own linguistic philosophy.

>del Interlingua-English Dictionary e del INTERLINGUA GRAMMAR,
Dr.

As author of the IED and the Ia Grammar, Dr Gode

>Gode porta dunc, coram li forum del scientie, li sol
responsabilita

therefore carries, (unto?) the scientific forum, the sole
responsibility

>pri li forme final del lingue, a quel IALA hat colaborat solmen
quam

for the final shape of the language, to which IALA had
collaborated

>furnitor del crud materie."

only as the provider of the crude material.

>Will post more later, maybe. Some accents left out and I did
not
>proof read the text I typed.
>
>Have fun Jay,
>Bob

It was, Bob, fun to make a quick and dirty translation, perhaps
if there are savy readers of it who are interested, situations
where
the translation could be much improved... But keep in mind that
I'm translating it without much research or looking up on
dictionaries.
So I beg your indulgence. :-)

I would agree with Martinet to an extent in saying that the
final
product represented for Interlingua the final revision of Gode
and
his strong hand in dictating what final form it should have.
I've often
felt that Gode actually preferred a more Peanese look to
Interlingua
of IALA and that Martinet wanted a more anglo-frenchied version
such
as is illustrated by Occidental and Novial, in my opinion.

However, I like the final product of IALA and I applaud Gode's
effort
in bringing the work to a finish with the publication of the IED
and
the Grammar.

Since,
Jay B.