AUXLANG May 1998, Week 1

Re: Progress in Reverse.

"Robert J. Petry" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 2 May 1998 17:01:42 -0700

Paul O Bartlett wrote:

> On Sat, 2 May 1998, Robert J. Petry wrote (excerpted):
> [kut]
> Maybe I missed it, but I'm not sure just how this new community
> is supposed to differ from AUXLANG and the newsgroup alt.language.-
> artificial with notices to web sites for various auxlangs. How would
> posting on this new community differe from posting them on AUXLANG with
> translations?

One would not "post" in the new community, but on the BBS which is categorized
into several topics. So, a person could go there and read all posts at one spot
on Occidental, or Novial, or RLR etc., and not read any ot the others, Or could
read all of them at one location instead of going to a dozen different locations
to get the info.

The Auxlang Languages Community will be a ONE source place for listing and/or
hosting all the languages. Each site in the community will get 11mgs. free for
the site, and with no pop up ads, and other benefits. And, each site can be
personal or business, depending on what the site owner wants to do with his/her
language site. And, as the community page is built, all languages, in alphabetic
order, will be on one page. So, if someone wants to get a site specific to
building a language, they can go there, sign up, build their site, and have it
posted as part of a centralized community versus, all sites spread out everywher.
Not everyone will want to do this, but many are already starting to get their
sites.

> > I know there are other net forums. But, I also know there is no real
> > concerted effort to tell the world about these languages. Except maybe
> > Esperanto.
>
> I get the distinct idea from forums such as alt.language.artificial
> that many people consider IALists to be crackpots. "You people can't
> even agree on what language to support!" That sort of thing. (And, of
> course, most of us _don't_ agree. I suspect that there is a good deal
> of hobby interest mixed in as well.)

Well, we could change part of that. At least, we could all speak as one voice
promoting the benefits of haveing an IAL

> > I have students of RLR now in 31 different countries including the US and
> > England, of course. This is in response to your other question about did I
> > know others other than English speakers using RLR.
>
> My question was not whether there are RLR users in various
> countries. My question was whether there are users of Rap Lin
> Rie WHO DO NOT KNOW ENGLISH. That's a different quesiton entirely.

Sure is. And, at the moment, the answer is no. I am in contact now with Dutton's
descendants and am trying to find out such information. Remember, for all
practical purposes Speedwords has been in limbo since 1970. All the works are out
of print, and no one, that I know of, has really tried to promote it since Dutton
died. He intended to have it translated into other languages but never did as far
as I can find out. His great granddaughter said he was quite famous in England in
his early days. His daughter and son are now in their 80's and are not promoting
it. So, I can only tell you about those folks I know of who are now learning RLR
through my efforts. I do know that work is being done towards putting some of
what I've written about Speedwords into Portuguese and Spanish. Also, a slow
translation is being done for Japanese, and a couple of others. Eventually, I
hope to find enough people who will help translate the texts into other
languages. Then, watch out. There really is nothing out there like RLR right now,
no matter what good or bad anyone might think or feel about it. But, these things
I usually keep to the RLR Newsletter and discussion group.

> > site in 90% RLR. Try:
> > http://members.xoom.com/Diplomat
>
> I looked at the site, but because I do not have a graphical web
> browser, it was almost unintelligible to me. I couldn't even tell wat
> the various images and/or links were supposed to be. (There are coding
> techniques in HTML to make things at least a *little* better for
> text-only browsers.)

I can't help with your interface as much as I might like to. I've had good
compliments about the new look of the pages, and perhaps to some browsers the new
methods of posting to the web may be creating temporary problems. I do know this
for a fact though, hits to the RLR pages are now averaging a 100 hits or so a
week. Before it was like 30-60 on the average. This jump came about partly from
my first attempt to promote RLR outside of the auxlang arena, i.e. people already
interested in these things, not just the auxlang list. In another week, if plans
go right, I plan to put out my second attempt with more info, and more "you
should try" this kind of promotion. the first one was just an offer to send the
50 most frequent words for email transmissions. Quite a few hits are coming in
from China and Singapore since I did that. And, now, the newsletter is also going
there, among other places. So, we'll see how it all works out. A little "blood,
sweat and tears" might cause it to grow quite dramatically. I'm really looking
forward to see what it all looks like at this time in 1999! And, I'm loving every
minute of it!!!Oh, I would suggest you might try Opera 3.21 for your system if it
is a pc win95 system. The browser is only just over 1meg, and it seems to be an
excellent product. However, the downside is you have to pay $35 for it after 30
days. Not bad, but if someone does not have the 35 it could be a bummer.

Al l sue,
Bob