AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

Monospaced Font

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  May 1998, Week 1

AUXLANG May 1998, Week 1

Re: Sinmortigo au^ Suicido? (was Re: Insect - science)

James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 3 May 1998 12:26:13 +0100

Donald J. HARLOW scripted:

> I _would_ have corrected "memmortigo" to "sinmortigo", which would be, I
> suspect, a better translation of "sj=E4lvmord". "Mem" in Esperanto is an
> emphasizer, like the Latin "ipse", not a reflexive, like the Latin "se" -=
-
> the latter is "si". English uses "self" for both meanings ("He himself
> killed himself" =3D "Li mem mortigis sin"), and, from the formal similari=
ty
> ("sj=E4lv"), I suspect that Swedish might do the same -- right or wrong?

This is interesting, because it leaves me wondering about the status of
Novial's SELF. In Ido, suicide is SU-OCIDO, from the refl. SU and OCIDAR
=3D to kill. Jespersen rejected OCIDAR and installed in its place TUA from
F tuer. Then he adopts SELF instead of Ido IPSA, and uses SELF in
compounds in a way that Eng. does but that Ido does not do with IPSA.
Thus suicide is SELF-TUO. One question is, would SE-TUO be better? The
other is, didn't Ido get quite close with SU-OCIDO, and isn't SELF-TUO a
bit of a monster in comparison?=20
=20
> "Suicide", I believe from its form, would in fact etymologically resemble
> "sinmortigo" =3D=3D the "sui" appears to be a form of the Latin reflexive=
, and
> "cide" is, what, "caedo, caedere", to kill?

Which makes me think, perhaps if we took SUI as refl. pronoun, and CIDAR
for "kill", we could make SUICIDO, HOMOCIDO, FRATOCIDO etc.

James Chandler
http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037