Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  August 1998, Week 3

AUXLANG August 1998, Week 3

Re: Musings (was: Re: accusatives and free word order)

Michael Farris <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Aug 1998 19:49:45 +0200

> Well, I'm pretty sure of this much: there _will_ be a WWIII that _will_
> cause the utter destruction of much of the planet.  After this war, people
> will be shocked into working together, much like the shocks after WWI and
> WWII, only much greater.  Survival of the fittest; hopefully they will all
> be Esperantists :-)

Hope you're wrong. I think you are, but, not for the reasons you might expect.

> Ok, here's a second try: (and no one dies in this one!)  :-)
>
> It's 2048, and the EU has been around about 50 years.  Here's what happened:
>         After stalling a long time with a decision on which language(s) were
> to be used in the union, word leaked out that English was going to be
> chosen.

Define "used in the union".

>  Although only a rumor, people in all the European countries
> involved became highly upset.  They demanded that their national language be
> used also.  Union officials denied the fact that they had purposely leaked
> the information to get public opinion, however, they eventually decided on 3
> major languages for the union.  French and English would be mandatory on all
> documents, however, many would also be printed in German and Spanish.  This
> seemed to please everybody, except for the Esperantists, who felt that they
> had been cheated.  THey seemed to have had been sure that Esperanto would be
> the only official language.  Interlinguists also were maddened.  However,
> things seemed to be going well, so the E-ists and Ia-ists were ignored.
>         After the first 5 years, trouble seemed to plague the union.
> Translation costs were weighing down the fragile structure.  People in
> Europe began to lose faith in the union and the Eurodollar began to decrease
> in value.  To economize on money, the union dropped Spanish and most German,
> then later on dropped even German entirely.  THis did not come without the
> anger of many German and Spanish dignitaries.
>         It was around this time that the union decided to look elsewhere;
> namely, to the IAL's proposed earlier.  For a long time the committees
> debated on Esperanto and Interlingua.  Novial was also suggested but dropped
> because there were almost 20 different versions in use among Novialists at
> the time, with more reforms being made.

The more things change .... :-)

> It seemed that Interlingua would be
> a good alternative to the many natural languages in Western Europe but, at
> about that time, many Eastern European countries were to join the union.
> After much delegation, during which the Czech Republic, Poland, et al,
> joined, a vote was taken.  Esperanto was chosen because of its phonetic
> spelling,

uhh, not really, but I'll let that one pass for the time being.

> simplicity in syntax, and its varied vocabulary.
>         However, nothing comes _that_ easily, so a special committee was
> appointed to review the language from top to bottom, and to cast out or
> change anything that was disagreeable to the union.  Here are their changes
> (later accepted and adopted into Esperanto):
>         1. all supersigned letters abolished for the facility of writing and
>            "to make the language more appealing to Western Europeans."
>            New combinations are ch, gh, jh, sh.  The u combinations are used
> without              the breve.
>         2. use of accusative -n not mandatory in spoken Esperanto, but
>            mandatory in written works.
>         3. Adjective aggreement "not necessary, but encouraged" in spoken
> Esperanto.
>            "Correct" written works should agree.
>         4. "-in" suffix retained for female, "-icx" for male (when something
> is not               specifically male or female)  i.e.- hundo- dog
> hundicxo- male dog
>            New words created for "mother," "sister", "woman", etc.  An
> alternate to
>            "viro" for "man" is "personicxo" with "personino" for "woman".

wouldn't that be alternate to 'person'? Is 'viro' used like 'person' in English?
yech! I had heard ulo is now much more common.

>         After finally being worked out, the new system was put into use.  It
> took a while for it to filter down into all of Europe, but eventually found
> its way onto European news broadcasts and movie subtitles.  The UEA objected
> to the reforms, saying that they "had not been decided on by Esperantists,
> but by a group of people who did not use the language regularly and
> therefore did not make changes out of everyday encounters, but by what they
> saw as wrong."  While the UEA tried to promote what they called "correct"
> Esperanto, people continued to learn what was coming from the union.
> Eventually, the UEA disintegrated.  Now, in 2048, there is one Esperanto.
> Of course, you can still get books in "classical" Esperanto, but it is
> pretty much a dead language.

Okay, *how* did it filter down? Where did they get all the teachers and materials
they needed? What about business? Academic meetings? Contracts? Education?

> That does raise an interesting question:  what would happen if the union
> decided to adopt Esperanto but then changed it?  Which one would be
> Esperanto?  Who _owns_ the language?  The speakers, I would say.  But what
> if they didn't get to vote on reforms?

Well, exactly. In your choice it comes down to a hard choice maybe for some Eists,
Esperanto as it is with the numbers it has now or Esperanto with some modifications
and many more speakers.

In my version, there was no "official" reform except possibly the orthography,
although I purposely didn't write *how* it was solved, just that it was resolved (it
will have to be resolved, whether this means giving up supersigned letters or
incorporating them into existing technology) pretending that it isn't an issue is
not an option (well, it is an option, but a counterproductive one).
Still, I'm *sure* that once people start learning Eo because they have to and not
because the want to, there will be changes. There are significant differences
already between "International" English and any native variety and EO doesn't have
the native speaking populations to keep these changes in some sort of check.

Oh, also, there's nothing to stop the EU or anyone else from taking the basic form
of Esperanto, making those changes that it sees fit (as in your version) and calling
it something else Europeano, for example. Eists then can like it or lump it. I hope
they'll like it.

Mi amika fughi,
Mike Farris