Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  September 1998, Week 2

AUXLANG September 1998, Week 2

Transnational Radical Party and ECOSOC Esperanto Initiative

"Donald J. Harlow" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Sep 1998 12:46:41 -0700

A week or so James CHANDLER posted here about the failure (after 20 minutes
of discussion) of an initiative about Esperanto from the Transnational
Radical Party. James attributed the failure to faults internal to
Esperanto. There was some discussion about this, about the TRP, and about
such matters in general. I thought the following short article, taken from
Fettes, Mark & Bolduc, Suzanne (eds.), _Towards Linguistic Democracy_
(Rotterdam: UEA, 1998) might be of interest. It is by Marino BUSDACHIN,
Chief Representative of the TRP at the United Nations in New York, and was
presented to the Nitobe Symposium in Prague, summer of 1996. This is not a
translation. I've omitted one paragraph which I consider basically
irrelevant (you can find it in the book). All typos are mine; but I have
reproduced a couple of linguistic errors that look a bit like typos.

---

As many of you already know, the Transnational Radical Party has recently
been recognizes as a non-governmental organization in category 1 -- the
highest level in the United Nations. On obtaining this new status we
presented, a few months ago in New York, a formal request to introduce a
new discussion item, Esperanto as an international auxiliary language, in
the agenda of the Economic and Social Council, ECOSOC. We have been
informed unofficially that the first, even though modest, result has been
reached: the UN has introduced our request in the order of the day of the
Non Governmental Organization Committee scheduled for March-April 1997.
That is a first small step. Basically the Committee will have to decide
whether or not to introduce the argument in the next session of the ECOSOC,
which is scheduled for July 1997 in Geneva.

I don't want to hide a certain pessimism about this possibility.* There are
too many contradictions in facing a debate about the adoption of an
international auxiliary language. The member states of the UN are not very
much interested, and the UN itself with its eternal financial difficulties
will hardly agree to add another agenda item to a lot of others which have
been discussed for years with more or less success. The main resistance
either of the UN or in NGOs will be likely to come from those who speak the
so-called major languages, the present or former languages of empires. The
so-called linguistic equality at the UN is a fiction. There is no
linguistic democracy. Those who have no command of one of the six languages
are basically excluded from comprehension. And those who speak them with
less than native ability are at a real disadvantage. But in fact only
English is the real lingua franca, even in a corrupted version, for the UN
and most other international institutions, organizations, and
interparliamentary bodies.

The UN spends about 20% of its budget -- the European Parliament more than
45% with ten or more languages -- simply in translating and interpreting a
given set of words into its equivalent into five other languages.
Obviously, this is a foolishness. The reason of this foolishness is not
linguistic, or pluralistic, or equal opportunity. It is politics.** There
is nothing linguistically correct or superior about the particulary mix of
languages in international use today. This mix exists as it is for
political and economic reasons only. No wonder if even the NGOs skip away
from considering the question, preferring to believe they can communicate
in a couple of languages. The reality is that they are largely ruled by the
inner circle of an Anglo-Saxon mafia in many of their activities. No wonder
that the Esperanto cause is so largely neglected in the world of the
international organizations and non-governmental organizations. Here too,
we find no particular reason other than politics.

Basically we have to increase our involvement at the political level of the
international institutions such as the UN, European Parliament, the Council
of Europe; at the interparliamentary and non-governmental organizations. I
think that it would be very useful to create a non-governmental coalition
for an international auxiliary language, starting from the NGOs with UN
status, as proposed by the Baha'i representative [to the symposium].*** But
it is really necessary to create some synergy between the UEA and many
other organizations for more effective lobbying at the political
institutional level, without losing sight of educational and cultural
activities. We need to organize our activities and programs around the goal
of placing the issue of Esperanto as an international auxiliary language on
the agendas of the international institutions.

---

* The pessimism was justified in the short run. As mentioned here before,
consideration of the question on the ECOSOC agenda was delayed until 1998.
The mills of the gods, and all that.

** Someone in this forum once accused Esperanto of "not having gotten
beyond the level of politics" (quote from memory). As often happens, he was
holding the sword by the blade, not the hilt. Esperanto is the only conIAL
that has ever _reached_ the level of politics.**** (For those who despair
about this, let me quote Robert Heinlein in _Double Star_: "Politics is the
only game for grown-ups". He was, of course, exaggerating; most of us can
name at least one other...8<)

*** Such a coalition was created, if I remember correctly, at the end of 1997.

**** Yet Yet Another Digression. With respect to the Ido crisis of 1907, it
has aften been remarked that it had the positive result of disembarassing
the Esperanto movement of the most vociferous advocates of Reform Above
All. But I wonder just what its effect was in making the Esperanto movement
and its leadership aware of the existence and pitfalls of politics in
general; I don't know whether this question has ever been addressed.
Certainly the individual who would later orchestrate the short flirtation
between Esperanto and the League of Nations (Edmond PRIVAT) was around and
interested in 1907...

---

There are several other very good papers in the book. For those who can
read neither Esperanto nor French (the other two languages, with English,
of the symposium), I particularly recommend those of Yvo PEETERS, Secretary
of the International Academy of Language Law ("Multilingualism in an
Institutional and Organizational Perspective"), and Tove SKUTNABB-KANGAS,
Reader in Minority Education and Linguistic Human Rights at the University
of Ostrobothnia, Finland ("Communication and Power -- A Rational
Perspective"). Michael Farris, in particular, may find the views expressed
interesting. And others will get a good idea of the barriers facing _any_
conIAL, without reference to its philosophy or details of construction.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/