Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  September 1998, Week 2

AUXLANG September 1998, Week 2

Re: Precursores de Occidental, Parte I (fwd)

"Donald J. Harlow" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Sep 1998 11:56:40 -0700

Je 07:10 ptm 9/7/98 +0100, James CHANDLER skribis:

>Don Harlow rote:
>
>> In lexical
>> matters, genesis has little relationship to functionality.
>
>First, I would mention the concept of sound symbolism.  For certain ideas
>there seem to be forms that are particularly suited to expressing them.
>Under this heading would come onomatapaeic and echo words.

About "echo words" (I don't know the term) I can't say. But "onomatopoeia"
is a very subjective phenomenon; what one people take as the sound that a
certain natural phenomenon makes, for instance, can be quite different from
what another people hear. Even within the same people -- in my own
lifetime, frogs stopped going "croak" in American English and started going
"ribbit", largely thanks to Tom and Dick Smothers (to Esperantists, as to
the ancient Greeks, frogs still "quack", and ducks do something else
entirely).

>Secondly, there is the problem of excessive proximity of forms for similar
>ideas, which may lead to recurrent mishearings.  For instance, Esp dekstre
>and maldekstre would cause the same problems in shipping as the old
>English terms starboard and larboard did (the latter now replaced by port).

I am glad you say "would", thus admitting your lack of practical knowledge
of the matter. I must confess it: I've fallen into the same theoretical
trap, and quoted "dekstra/maldekstra" as the _one_ example of a situation
in which the mal-word might better be replaced by a different root, for
just the reason that James quotes. But, when push comes to shove, I've
never experienced, or heard of, a case where the similarity between
"dekstra" and "maldekstra" has caused confusion; to the contrary, Claude
PIRON claims (and suggests that doubters ask his wife) that of the
languages he knows (French, English, Esperanto, Chinese that I know of,
possibly more) Esperanto is the _only_ one in which he can distinguish
between left and right.

>The ideal is thus: the same form always for the same idea, but not: similar
>forms for similar ideas.
>This is one of the chief failings of the a priori systems.  If in an a
>priori system, madob means "small" and madog "large", there will be
>constant problems in comprehension.  Similarly if gilol means 1, gilon 2,
>gilod 3 etc., dilol 11, dilon 12.  The result would be an almost complete
>breakdown in communication.

Since we are not discussing an _a priori_ system here, I'm not sure what
relevance this would have, even if true. Actually, in the old
philosophical-classificatory systems which _were_ like this, the problem
seemed to be not keeping words straight when hearing them (nobody, as far
as I know, ever got to the point at which this could be tested), but in
keeping such similar forms straight when _learning_ them.

>Don would be happy if all the Esp affixes were a priori; presumably then,
>if the whole of the Esp vocabulary were a priori. =20

If by "happy" you mean "not dissatisfied", then, yes. If by "happy" you
mean (as is often the meaning of this particular expression in English)
that this would be my preference, then you are putting words in my mouth.

>And yet this would
>necessarily mean the greatest possible difficulty for all. =20

Nonsense. It would mean that _no one_ would have the _least possible
difficulty_ -- not that everyone would have the _greatest possible
difficulty_. You are mixing up two concepts here.

>The only
>alternative to this is to identify a large, related group of languages and
>base an a posteriori vocab on that of this group.  But then if that is the
>approach you choose to take, the principle you choose to work on, then that
>principle should be adhered to as strictly as possible.  It makes no sense
>whatsoever to take this approach (as did Z), but then select a whole mass
>of arbitrary or abitrarily modified forms which make the language more
>difficult for one large group of people and no easier for the rest

Once again, James, you are ignoring _fact_ in favor of hypothesis. I
understand this and forgive this, since if you considered fact, all your
arguments would be cut off at the knees. As pointed out over and over by
people from non-IE countries, Esperanto is (a) harder for them to learn
than it is for Europeans (because of the source of Esperanto's vocabulary,
not its structure), and (b) considerably easier for them to learn than any
other language with a vocabulary taken from the same sources (e.g.
English). So the expression "no easier for the rest" is meaningless in
terms of factual experience. Of course, it is not surprising that those who
wish to criticize Esperanto (and don't know enough about it to criticize
those points in the language that actually _deserve_ criticism*) seize on
(a) and conveniently ignore (b).=20

As to "more difficult for one large group of people", do you have evidence
to indicate this?

> (in the
>case of (mal)dekstre one could say that the situation is worse for
>_everyone_).

See above.

---

* Having said this, maybe I should mention my three main points of
criticism -- my three main "reforms", if you will, that I would propose if
I felt they were really important to the future of the language

(1) The numeral system is not _a_ system but two different systems,
discontinuous in the middle. Up to 999,999 we use _numerals_ -- a
completely different animal from nouns, which we are forced to use _after_
999,999. This was probably not very important in Zamenhof's day, but today,
with inflation everywhere, from finance to astronomy, we at least need to
extend the numeral system. I have suggested "meg" as the numeral equivalent
of "miliono" (1E6). Somebody else might want to suggest a numeral for 1E9
(which an American will probably translate as "biliono" and an Englishman
as "miliardo" -- the latter is correct) -- "gig" might be a good choice.

(2) Adverbs in -a=FD should have this ending changed to -e. There are only a
few of these, and, for anybody interested, I don't include "anka=FD" among
them -- it is a particle which (like "jes", "ne", "nur" and "e=E6") doesn't
behave exactly like a regular adverb. The suggestion also specifically does
not extend to words like "=E6irka=FD" or "anstata=FD", which are (by definit=
ion
in both cases) prepositions or (by actual function in the latter case)
coordinating conjunctions rather than adverbs.

(3) Another column should be added to the table words, in ALI-. There are
good arguments against this, but, IMHO, not as good as the arguments in
favor. The primary current use of "alia" would move over to "aliu", and
"alie" as it exists would become "aliel"; the secondary use of "alia" ("lia
konduto estas alia ol la =FEia") is already the same as it would be in the
table. This particular use of ALI- (as a table prefix) seems to be a
natural extension of the language's structure, since it has been reinvented
independently quite a number of times, including -- spontaneously -- by
children speaking Esperanto natively, in preference to the perfectly
legitimate but slightly more cumbersome forms of the Novial variety
("aliloke", "alispece", etc.). Such non-conflicting forms as "alies" and
"aliam" already appear in print from time to time.

I am _not_ proposing these as "reforms" -- simply mentioning that I feel
Esperanto would ultimately be the better for them. But, as has been said,
"the better is oft the enemy of the good".
=20

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/