Monospaced Font

CONLANG  November 1998, Week 1

CONLANG November 1998, Week 1

Re: Pro que continuar le conversation? Re: META: Re: Let'sreturn to conlanging (was: Li Lingue Modern)

"Robert J. Petry" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Nov 1998 20:56:20 -0700

Jay Bowks wrote:

> de: Robert J. Petry <[log in to unmask]>
> ad: Multiple recipients of list CONLANG
> thema: Re: META: Re: Let's return to conlanging (was: Li Lingue Modern)
> In tu responsa a Ray tu dice...
>

> >Well, first of all, I am successfully doing that. Just open your eyes abit.
> >Again, another indirect put down.
> >I am certainly prepared to accept discussion on the language. Hopefully it
> is
> >from those who know something about it, other than the name. And, negatives
> >stand out.
>
> Il me pare que tu ha un grande sensibilitate pro
> le opiniones de alteres, varie vices io me dice
> a me mesme, "non, tu non debe responder
> a un message tal, plen de insensate e
> vangloriose parolas... ma... hic me trova
> io un altere vice facente un responsa, e
> le consequentias, qui sapera... nonne?"
>
> >No one said the languages have no defects, you dost exaggerate a bit. I
> have
> >said repeatedly the "defects" should be corrected by people actually using
> the
> >languages, not from those not using them and not speaking from experience
> of
> >how they are actually working. In fact, 90% of the criticism on Occidental
> I've
> >seen on the net so far is based on erroneous information.
>
> Tunc si tu in ver intention vole ameliorar le lingua
> Occidental/Interlingue, tu deberea auscultar al
> suggestiones de personas que ha plus experientia
> que tu in le campo del aux/conlangismo, nonne?
>
> >Certainly, today Occidental is used already by more than any conlang I have
> >seen discussed here, except Esp. and Ila and possibly Ido. And, the user
> base
> >is growing daily.
>
> Io crede que il ha plus personas que usa Volapuk
> usque nunc quam usa Occidental currentemente, Bob.
>
> >There are several suggested changes to Occidental mentioned in the Cos.
> >magazines that I would love to ask opinions on here and on auxlang. But,
> sure
> >as shootin, if I did that someone would ask me to take the discussion
> >elsewhere.
> >

> Non, non le discussion ma le propaganda plen de
> information jam vetule face sexanta annos e plus.
>
> >There are some very good reasons Occ and RLR are not more widely used
> today, as
> >well as the others. And, _it has absolutely nothing to do with the language
> >being no good as you want to erroneously imply_. But, I won't bore anyone
> with
> >all the positive reasons.
> >

> Ecce un costume tue, tu dice que il ha rationes
> ma continuemente tu non los apuncta infra...
> esque il ha ver rationes o mermente suppositiones
> per tu parte, Bob?
>
> >Last thing. I am very glad Ray decided not to leave the list. However, any
> time
> >he makes remarks about me like the above, I think I have a right to
> [...]

Jay, thank you for your kindness, understanding and friendship as a fellow
conlanger and IAList. It is much appreciated.

Al l sue a v,
Bob, x+

Here is a recap I go by on the egroups conlang list statement. Thought you might
like to see and review it.
You can find it at [log in to unmask]
The CONLANG list is devoted to the discussion of "constructed" or
 "artifical" languages for general communication. It is essentially concerned
with creative
 linbguistics and not such formal languages such as programming languages or
mathematical
 notation, except as they may relate to a proposal for a mthod of communication.
Since
 many constructed languages have a fictional background, this description is
complicated
 by not being anle to use possibly descriptive terms such as "human language"
which would
 be descriptive, if it were not prejudicial to the Alien conlangs.
 The reasons for constructing languages cover a wide range of reasons, from
proposals to
 enhance international communication, to the creation of more logical languages
to enhance
 thinking or specialized forms of communication, to exploring linguistic theory
through
 model-building, as background for fictional creation, as art for art's sake,
and just for fun.
 SHORT AUXLANG DESCRIPTION, AND WHY THERE ARE TWO LISTS
 The AUXLANG list is devoted to discussions of the merits and practicality of
particular
 International Auxiliary Languages -- languages intended to enhance
international
 communication. Since this topic inspires great devotion and frequently also
inspires high
 volumes of debate about the merits and drawbacks of particular languages like
Esperanto,
 the discussion especially of the political, and strategic questions of IALs has
been moved
 to AUXLANG. Auxiliary languages are not banned from the more general discussion
on
 CONLANG, but the discussion's significance should extend beyond the IAL
community.
 For example, a discussion of ergative case marking applied to Esperanto might
be
 interesting to the general community -- a lengthy discussion of the merits and
 disadvantages of having case markings in an IAL would not be.
 FLAMING
 As current listowner for both lists, I would appreciate it if everyone
remembers to control
 their passions and keep discussion polite. Vigorous intellectual argument is
sufficient strife
 for a mailing list -- if you find yourself at the point in an argument where
only a dissection
 of your opponent's character seems like it will do, take it to private email,
or wait until
 your opponent settles down and again posts an argument that is rational enough
for you to
 demolish.
 People enjoy following debates, but not cat-fights. With almost 100 people on
 AUXLANG and almost 200 people on CONLANG, your words are carrying to a lot of
 people. Make them count.
 LIST REPLY
 The LISTSERV software will set most postings to reply directly to the list --
This is
 different from the way these lists used to work. If this causes a problem for
anyone by
 hiding their email address, send me email; the software is supposed not to
reset the
 reply-to address for people who will suffer problems as a result, but it may
still cause
 problems.
 SPAMMING
 Unsolicited commercial email is not welcomed on either list. I will summarily
and instantly
 remove anyone who spams these lists. As with most lists on the Internet, small
and tasteful
 mentions of on-topic products are OK for contributing members of the community.
And
 .sig files of moderate length may also mention products without a problem. But
direct
 advertisements and solicitations of participation in business enterprises are
right out.
 In other words, subscribers should not feel restricted from offering to
distribute grammars
 of their languages, or newletters or the like, or to mention products that
might be useful to
 conglangers.

By the way, why did you rename this thread, it was META'd so those who don't
want to be bothered wouldn't have to read the thread if they didn't want to?