CONLANG  November 1998, Week 4

CONLANG November 1998, Week 4

Re: onomatopeyics in conlangs

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 22 Nov 1998 19:22:36 -0500

lucasso wrote:
> >In English, 'cock-a-doodle-doo' (long and funny-sounding!)
> >[log in to unmask]@l'du:/
>
> my english grammar book describe that english -(C)le endings as syllabes
> based on syllabic 'l'...

Sometimes, especially at the end of a word, as in "little" ([lIrl=],
r=flap), but in my pronunciation of "cock-a-doodle-doo", there's a
definite vowel there, something in between [U] and [@] between the /d/
and the /l/.

--
"It has occured to me more than once that holy boredom is good and
sufficient reason for the invention of free will." - "Lord Leto II"