Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  December 1998, Week 3

AUXLANG December 1998, Week 3

Re: Scripts and outlook (was Re: something dumb) : )

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 10:29:55 -0800

Je 10:16 atm 12/17/98 +0100, vi skribis:

>Donald J. HARLOW wrote:
>
>> It would be incorrect for me to state that _all_ the complaints I've ever
>> heard in almost forty years of speaking the language about Esperanto's
>> "non-standard" characters come from people who have a specific agenda of
>> their own that deliberately excludes Esperanto, but the figure is certainly
>> better than 50%. For those who _need_ such fonts, they simply go out and
>> get them somewhere -- starting with the Warsaw printing firm of Chr. Kelter
>> & Son in July, 1887.
>
>Prologue:Sometimes a little struggle goes on in my sould (for those of you
>interested in metaphysical melodrama). Should I post or not? The good little
>angel
>Mike says "No, you've made your position clear before, no need to belabor it
>again." The bad little devil Mike says "YES! YES! YES! Never miss a chance to
>whack a dead horse!!! Giddy the f--- up!!!"
>
>So, this time (as happens about 50% of the time, the bad little devil Mike
>whupped
>good little angel Mike's nicey-wicey butt.
>
>So, let's get on with the pony show!!!
>
>The most interesting thing about the Eo alphabet is that shows a lot of where
>Eists priorities are. Namely with each other. The whole cult of
>Esperanto-hood is
>devoted to conforming to the rather conservative (linguistically quite
>reactionary) internal standards of behavior, ie: unquestioning adherence
to "La
>Fundamento" and loyalty to the Eo status quo at all costs.
>
>This is the biggest weakness of the Eo movement. It's too inward looking and
>not
>outward reaching enough. They're still operating under the metaphor that there
>language is a helpless little baby threatened by wolves and that they have to
>fight tooth and nail  to defend it against predators who mean it harm.
>
>To me, Esperanto is a twenty-five-year old who's been pampered by their
parents
>too long and long past the age at which they should go out into the world
>and take
>their lumps (and pleasures) with the rest of us. To me, Eists over-protective
>parents who can't bear to cut the cord.
>
>The alphabet is a good indicator of the mind-set of the Esperanto nation. When
>they start worrying more about bringing it to the world instead of going at it
>backwards trying to turn the world into a Universala Kongreso, you'll see a
>change.
>
>The great and all-powerful Oz has spoken.

And now let's pull back the curtain...

Mike, on the general question of whether Esperantists are more concerned
with Esperantists than with non-Esperantists ... yes. There is something
wrong with this? Our people are our greatest resource; abandon them, betray
them, and we are left with _nothing_. Mario Pei complained in his book
about the "'Inefficacy' of Movements", and he may well have been right, but
I suspect that he was also familiar with the expression "the only game in
town", which is essentially what we have.

You are a linguist, and I would expect you to realize that languages are
not just collections of letters, phonemes, morphemes, syntactic rules and
the like; they are _people_. Without people, they are footnotes
(interesting to a few, not to most) in books that are generally kept back
in the library stacks. They are, in one sense, a contract between their users.

The history of the planned language movement shows this. There have been
any number of attempts to take Esperanto off in a different direction. All
of them have failed -- Ido, Hom-Idyomo, Esperantido, Esperantuisho, etc.
One of the reasons for failure was the inability to understand this simple
fact: people who use a language depend on it to be trustworthy -- i.e., at
least in its basics the language tomorrow will be the same as the language
today. Ido is probably the best example of what happens when you abandon
this concept; you might gain a few adherents today (Ido actually did pretty
well, for a decade), but tomorrow they will abandon you, as happened to an
Ido whose adherents seemed to consist of enthusiastic reformists, who
eventually abandoned the language for Occidental and, later, Novial, and
disspirited and disappointed conservatives.

If you can figure out a way to convince the governments of the world to
adopt a planned language tomorrow, then you can, with great success,
implement your proposed changes. This isn't going to happen. And
unfortunately until then we need to go about promoting planned languages in
the traditional way -- i.e., by convincing people, little by little, year
by year -- and in our turn remaining faithful to what we promise them.

As far as the alphabet is concerned, history is against you. The two most
successful planned IALs in terms of numbers (Volapu"k and Esperanto) both
use a non-standard (i.e. non-English) alphabet. (So, for that matter, does
Occidental with its accented vowels.) Those planned languages, and their
numbers are legion, which used a strictly English alphabet are largely gone
and forgotten. As I said once before, I wouldn't care to argue that
non-standard characters in the alphabet give a planned language an
advantage, but history shows that _at least_ they do not confer a
disadvantage, whatever some enthusiasts prefer to hypothesize.

-- Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/