AUXLANG December 1998, Week 3

Re: GREAT IDEA ALERT!!!

Robin Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:17:28 +1100

At 17:47 15/12/98 +0100, Mike Farris wrote:

>charles wrote:

>> The one audience I can think of that would

>> enthusiastically learn both langs is the population

>> of high school or college students, who would

>> prefer the easier IALs to natlangs.

>GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!

>  [  .........  ]

>Sell IAL's to lazy teenagers as a effort-saving device!!!!!!!

*   The idea of making Language Reform attractive to tertiary students would be sufficient rationalisation for this.  But I do feel that settling on Esperanto, or Esperanto and Interlingua, is a little pre-emptive.  I do believe that a bit more ecumenachism would be better for intellectual foment, and not so prejudicing of the situation.

>Now we have one place to concentrate some efforts. If you know of a school system that has a "foreign language" requirement you can try to get your IAL of choice added to their curriculua.

>    [  .....................  ]

> What you basically need is a sympathetic faculty member, just one and a dept to teach the language from  [  .....  ]

*   I fear we are forgetting that we are begging the question, somewhat,

in thinking that language academics really do favour the promotion of Language Teaching, purely to spread the enjoyment of language - in the abstract.

    Also, there is the other annoying fact, and that is that we are living  on a planet where the way of life seems to demand our always trying to solve problems by the least direct, and most roundabout, route.

    Letting college students and undergraduates pick up, and run with, a range of prospective IALs is the most obvious way of letting our civilisation discover the new "Pig Latin" that really works.  But I can't imagine Academic Linguists abdicating their authority over the future of language, by giving students such an opportunity to take the initiative.

>Alternatively, Interlingua's Latin-base might be a foot in the door for the Classics Dept. (where Latin classes are housed at UF, Romance languages are all modern).

*   And here is the demarkation dispute produced by the departmentalisation of knowlege: if a language does not fit this or that backward-looking division of the subject, then it is obviously a 'non-category.'

>After it's established at a university, work backward to community college (why University X accepts Esperanto as a foreign language) and then high-school.

*   It is my observation that Departments of Education - responsible for secondary studies - are even more conservative than tertiary bodies.

    You can't just teach stuff because it might be fun, or even a good idea!  There has to be a very hard-headed, and ultimately pecuniary, justification of making room for subject matter in the curriculum.

    I would say that it was a stroke of genius on the part of the Glosa authors, in making contact with Community Development Officers in Uganda for the purpose of finding an opening for the teaching of Glosa in a "marketplace" that is virtually devoid of restriction.  Of course, being devoid of money is the concommitent condition.

>You also need teachers and materials, a major problem for every IAL except Eo (where it's only minor, though the teaching materials I've seen are dry, dated and deadly-dull boring as in "bang my head against the wall to stop to the misery" boring).

>The UEA might find it well worth it's time to underwrite a cutting-edge

>textbook tailored to US 20-25 year-old tastes

>  [  ..........  ]

*   This is the crux.  There is no real money for smart productions; there is no justification for venture capital to be invested ... especially with the competition between potential IALs.  The initiative for production of state of the art learning materials must come from within the various languages' administrations: do they have the intellectual and financial resouces for such research?  My guess is that if Esperanto, Interlingua, Glosa, etc, don't come up with suitable modern material, no-one else will.

>    I think a much smarter tack would be to spend some

>money on focus groups and market research.

>Hint: Don't mimic the format of other textbooks, get the same graphic designers MTV uses - actually MTV might be a bit too last Tuesday, go to an alternative record store (or whatever they're called now) get a half-dozen or so zines and mimic their format.

>MikeFarris

*   While a later commentator would like to see spiffing texts in designed languages, and these would be necessary for college/universty approval of such courses, it seems tha designed languages do not attract people with the creativity and visual skills necessary to produce them - at 'volunteer' cost.

    Maybe Auxlang should produce its own zine aimed at the alternative culture, possible titled "Psst..." - carrying racy stories, of the 'must read' variety, BUT told in the various lingos popular on Auxlang.

    As a minimum, we'll need story writers - good ones, slick 'comic' artists, and, of course, auxlangers to render the stories into racy versions of their favourite auxlangs.

    I'd be in that.  And I might be able to rake up a couple of computer artists to help with with the visuals; reckon, I'd have to ask my daughter, Deborah, to knock a few suitable stories into shape.  C'mon, Auxlangers, you can do it!  All we need is a suitable site and about five story sequences in different auxlangs.  I guess, with the way Auxlangers like talking, we'd only get about one edition out per year: but even that would be a lot better than nothing!

Saluta,

 Robin Gaskell

</italic>is