CONLANG  December 1998, Week 3

CONLANG December 1998, Week 3

Only One Core Argument

Kristian Jensen <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:51:39 +0100

Sam Bryant's query into case names reminded me of a similar problem
I had with case names in Boreanesian. I had also stumbled upon
problems in naming the core arguments in my conlang.

Like some of you may already know, Boreanesian is a trigger language
like the West-Austronesian languages of the Philippines, Borneo,
Sulawesi, and Madagascar. My own view of how these languages are
structured (especially in connection with Boreanesian) is that the
notion of object (as opposed to subject) is not applicable to
trigger languages. There is essentially only one core argument,
*not* two. Other languages have t