CONLANG  December 1998, Week 3

CONLANG December 1998, Week 3

Re: Only One Core Argument

Tim Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 21:03:39 -0500

At 04:51 PM 12/16/98 +0100, Kristian Jensen wrote:
>I have posted details about Boreanesian sentence structure before,
>but for the sake of clarity I could post a review for those
>interested (especially for the newer members on CONLANG-L). It'll
>definitely demonstrate what I mean by a language with only one core
>argument. For those of you who are interested in trigger languages
>in general, it may certainly be of interest.

I'd like to see that reposted.  I remember seeing it before, but I don't
seem to have saved it.  In fact, I was just recently trying to remember what
you said several months ago about the underlying argument structure of the
Philippine trigger languages.

Tim Smith

The human mind is inherently fallible.  It sees patterns where there is only
random clustering, overestimates and underestimates odds depending on
emotional need, ignores obvious facts that contradict already established
conclusions.  Hopes and fears become detailed memories.  And absolutely
correct conclusions are drawn from completely inadequate evidence.
        - Alexander Jablokov, _Deepdrive_ (Avon Books, 1998, p. 269)