CONLANG  December 1998, Week 3

CONLANG December 1998, Week 3

Re: Egyptian based Conlangs

Herman Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 02:19:07 GMT

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 13:06:11 -0600, "Sheets, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if anybody has ever based a conlang on Egyptian?  There=
 is
>ample room for creation, because the most information on Egyptian Verbs =
I've
>ever seen is E. A. Wallis Budge's Egyptian Language book.  There is also=
 an
>excellent basis for vocabulary, given the same author's two volume
>Dictionary of Egyptian Hieroglyphics.  As is usual for me, something is
>itching me away from my current conlang (Tit'xka), this time it is =
Egyptian.

Another one that hasn't been mentioned yet is the language created for =
the
Skeksis in the movie _The Dark Crystal_, which was unfortunately replaced
with English in the final version, but a few samples of it can be seen in
the novelization. As I recall from an interview I read many years ago, it
was supposed to have been based on Egyptian, but since it was a fictional
language for a movie, I doubt if there was ever much more to it than =
those
few sentences.