CONLANG  December 1998, Week 3

CONLANG December 1998, Week 3

Re: meeting of minds prior to conlang?

Laurie Gerholz <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:43:11 -0600

Sally Caves wrote:

> It is an amazing thing.  As I've said before, one of the things that most
> impresses me about this listserv has been its capacity to unite people
> who have been absorbed in an extraordinarily "solipsistic" or "solitary"
> artform.  Only through electronic means have we been able to communicate
> with each other.  I'd love to hear stories from conlangers who have had
> some kind of meeting of minds before "conlang."  Anybody form their own
> small clatch of "inklings" prior to electronic communication?

I've mentioned that my conlanging efforts began as an outgrowth of
running a role-playing game campaign. One of my friends, Susan, who was
in that game group, took a fair interest in my conlang work. She also
read Tolkein, and found the idea interesting, but never quite got around
to picking up the pen herself. And she was also a RPG referee, so
understood the fascination of world-building. I still keep her up to
date on my current conlang work, even though neither of us game much
anymore.

Laurie
---
http://www.winternet.com/~milo