CONLANG  December 1998, Week 5

CONLANG December 1998, Week 5

Re: Constructed Religions

Steg Belsky <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:47:33 -0500

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 13:06:22 +0100 Kristian Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>There seemed to be a big discussion about religion while I was gone.
>But very few (if any, for I was only browsing through the 500 or so
>accumulated posts) had to do with conlanging. I began to wonder, why
>didn't anyone direct the topic towards constructed religions
>pertaining to their respective conlangs instead of arguing over
>something completely off-topic? I'm sure many of you guys/gals have
>created belief systems to accompany the con-culture speaking your
>respective conlangs. So here I am asking, what are your religions
>like? Monotheistic, polytheistic, animistic? What are the creations
>myths? Are there specific religious institutions, temples, places of
>worship associated with your con-religions? How is the world seen
>through the religion - cosmology? I can go on but I'm sure you all
>get my drift.
>
>Regards,
>-Kristian- 8-)

Well, then i guess you missed my entire "Religion-Names in Conlangs, or
At Least in Mine" thread :) .

But, into the realm of conlang conculture conreligion...

The Rokbeigalm (speakers of Rokbeigalmki) live in the southern regions of
Tolkien's Middle-Earth.  Because of that, pretty much their myths *are*
their history (or at least they will be when i make them).  Here's a
general description of their religious beliefs:

They're primarily monotheistic.  Their deity (_eilos_), who for all
practical purposes is exactly the same as the Judeo-Islamic God, is the
creator of the world, and continues watching over it and meddling around
at certain times.  The deity doesn't have a true name, but instead is
known by a number of expressions.  The name which is considered the
"holiest" is _khada-a oolu-kabak dwim-a sudglendm-a_, "the One Who
Founded the Great Waters".  _kabakh-a_ (the Founder) is the most common
name, a shortened form of the one above.  Being genderless, the proper
pronoun for referring to Kabakh-a is _uhz_.

Besides Kabakh-a, the Rokbeigalm believe that there are an uncountable
number of _ailzm_, or "powers", roaming around the world.  Ailzm
correspond to everything which is below God and above Humans from a
spiritual/nonphysical point of view: angels, nature-spirits, demons, and
stuff like that.  However, Ailzm are *completely* subordinate to the
Kabakh - they have no power to go against God, they just go around doing
whatever it is that their purpose is, whether it is beneficial, neutral,
or harmful to humans.  The Beijabar (shapeshifters) are considered
low-level ailzm, and the Valar are considered high-level ailzm.  They're
known in Rokbeigalmki as _ailzm-a yijhm-a tza'ra~felp-a_, "the Calling
Powers of the West".  Ailzm are generally also genderless, but if, like
the Valar, they assume the appearence of gendered form, it's proper to
refer to them in that gender.  Ailzm are never worshipped or prayed to.

All things in the world that are alive have an _ailtz_, a "soul" or "life
force", and it is considered *extremely* rude not to pause and (usually
nonverbally) 'thank' something for letting you eat it.

There are five "elements" which are considered containers or
concentraters of life energy: wood, fire, blood, water and earth.  Each
of them have the primary role in a life-cycle ceremony, and an individual
color in the Rokbeigalmki flag.
_aurez_ (wood) - being born - green T-like shape
_zek_ (fire) - puberty - yellow sun
_reiyug_ (blood) - marriage - crimson hand/rays
_dwi_ (water) - giving birth - skyblue waves
_amal_ (earth) - death - brown sail/mountain

The Rokbeigalm are semi-nomads, like the ancient Polynesians.  They
wander from island to island, setting up a new homeland every few
centuries, depending on how much they want to stay.  There are always a
few people who decide to stay - and when you trace backwards the route of
the main migration, you encounter older and older forms of the
Rokbeigalmki language.

The Rokbeigalm are more than 75% human.  The other 25% are split up
between elves who somehow discovered and joined them, and the descendents
of intermarriages between the humans and the elves (there are fewer pure
elves than half-elves).

The Rokbeigalm calendar is soli-lunar - the months go by the moon, and
the year goes by the sun.  All periods of time start at the "beginning" -
the year begins the day after the winter solstice, and the month begins
the first day when you can see the moon as it rises after a new moon.
There are two abnormal months, before and after the solstice - since they
last only between the solstice and the nearest new moon.  The day begins
at sunrise.  Today happens to be the 11th day of the month of _yihtath_.
There are no weeks.
The only holiday that i've figured out so far is _dzu''fa''ri_, short for
_^dzuwaurg^dafal^ri.hlao^semoz-a_, "the festival of the widening of the
circle of the sun", or New Year's Day, the day after the winter solstice.
 They do some kind of ceremony involving the Life Elements.
Btw, they don't make sacrifices, and aside from the life-cycle ceremonies
and the few holidays, most of the religion is made of general moral
commandments such as "don't murder" - they don't have food taboos, except
for thanking what you're eating.

They believe in an Underworld, called _shail_, where the souls of the
dead (all organisms) go when they die.  It has nothing to do with
punishment or reward, it's just the 'next stage' of existance as a
semi-corporeal 'shade' type thing under the earth.  However, to be
released from the body, a sentient soul (human, elf, dwarf, etc.) needs a
funeral ceremony - which is, at minimum, the sprinkling of a few grains
of sand or soil over the body.  Without that, the soul is stuck wandering
the earth until the body decomposes or some other natural event occurs
which mixes the body in with the ground.  The official Rokbeigalm funeral
ceremony is much more complicated, however.

As a last cultural note, the Rokbeigalm cover their heads as a sign of
respect.

-Stephen (Steg)

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]